Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alistairoh01

Mac G5 case atx build

Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP

Hey guys,

Im moving my pc into an old Mac G5 case and want tips on the front panel IO. Is there an easy way to convert the front to modern connectors or do I have to buy a expensive cable? I found some people who spliced the cables but either didn’t show how they did it or did a poor job. So far, I’ve gutted the Mac, cleaned the case, and added stand-offs with epoxy.

Edit: All fan and front io pin layouts: 

https://m.mediafire.com/folder/08al926syn483/PowerMacG5-diagrams

375273FB-0B84-446B-8367-A0C9FA9E1007.jpeg

A0333ADE-B96F-4B1F-8098-9BC74EDADB34.jpeg

Edited by Alistairoh01

These guys:

https://www.thelaserhive.com/product/front-panel-conversion/

Haven't used them personally, but the end result seems pretty good.

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Personal rig:

Xeon E5-1630v4 | Quadro P4000 | X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4-2400 | Samsung 960EVO 250GB | 8TB spinning rust

Work machine:

Core i9-9900X | 2x RTX 2080ti | X299-WS Sage | 8x8GB G-Skill DDR4-3200 | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB | 3TB Samsung 860 EVO RAID array

Autodesk 3ds Max, AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit, Recap, and Fusion

Adobe Photoshop, Premiere, AfterEffects, Illustrator, Brackets

Matlab, MS Visual Studio, Davinci Resolve

-Topic Moved to Case Modding and Other Mods-

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS --- P600S VS Define R6/S2

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage 1x Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M      Cooling Cryorig H7

Posted · Original PosterOP
3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

-Topic Moved to Case Modding and Other Mods-

Thanks, I forgot that section existed. My bad

16 minutes ago, Alistairoh01 said:

My bad

No worries! Just making sure it's in the best sub forum it can be for the best responses :) 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS --- P600S VS Define R6/S2

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage 1x Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M      Cooling Cryorig H7

Update 1: I got the power supply in, 2 of the fans mounted, tested rgb and if the pc still turns on, and prepped everything for the next steps. I also made a plan for the rest of the build. I’m going to keep the original top shelf that the Mac came with but dremel out a hole big enough for the motherboard to comfortably sit inside. Then I’m going to attach a 4 hard drive bay to the bottom the shelf that holds the Blu-ray drive. I also need to cut out the backside io and create a nook for the motherboard plate to sit in. Also, I’m going to wire in the front panel io to the motherboard cables.

P.S. I’m going to have more rgb once I finish, preferably one on each side of the fans. I just tested it today. Please excuse my terrible cable management. Like I said earlier, I simply tested it today and didn’t really worry about good cable management.

Edit: I forgot to talk about the power supply cable. I’m going to use the original power supply connector on the old Mac psu and make a mini extender into the case so it’ll look clean and original. I’m also eventually going to add a aluminum cover for excess cables and the right side of the psu.

EDC47026-DFDD-48F7-8AAC-46C1625FCA3A.jpeg

2A3B9FCC-C453-42C4-8A00-E32A42D850B1.jpeg

Update 2:

I rewired the original blower and back case fans to molex 5v (at 12v they were leaf blowers.) I elevated the 2 front fans (white led) from the case because of turbulence which was making it very loud. I also wired in the power button and power led. I wired front audio which did not work for some reason despite me wiring it correctly. Oh well, not going to use front audio anyways. 

Tomorrow heavier duty duty rotary tool disks should arrive so I’ll get the shelf, rear io, and miscellaneous things cut. After that I’ll deal with attaching the hard drive cage to the shelf and then do cable management. 

I also wired in tbe original Mac psu power cable connector to make an extender. That way I don’t need to cut out any more holes for the psu.

P.S. I haven’t saldered the fan wires yet but I just got them working.

Edit: All fans and front io pin layout:

https://m.mediafire.com/folder/08al926syn483/PowerMacG5-diagrams

954FB9A8-3EE9-4E81-812B-714DAEBCC759.jpeg

236D41A9-6DF6-4DBA-BC74-0A465C707A6B.jpeg

8E1134B6-4CC3-4580-B81C-7886B3852F57.jpeg

Mini update 3: I won’t be able to work on the pc for the next week as I’m still dealing with finding some parts and my schedule is busy.