Data Breach at emuparadise leaves 1.1 million accounts exposed

AlexOak

In April 2018, the self-proclaimed "biggest retro gaming website on earth", Emupardise suffered a date breach. The compromised vBulletin forum exposed 1.1 million email addresses, IP address, usernames and passwords stored as salted MD5 hashes. The data was provided to HIBP by dehashed.com.- ibeenpwned

Opinion:

This sucks because most of us might have used this site to download old roms. That also means that spam might make its way to those accounts if you don't have any.

Sources: https://gbatemp.net/threads/emuparadise-suffers-data-breach-1-1-million-accounts-affected.540476/

https://haveibeenpwned.com

the one time I'm glad I missed that era of gaming and as such don't go looking for them.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

I used a unique password there so I'm pretty safe from this leak.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

Emuparadise? Coolroms for life ?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

good thing i never create accounts

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

$5.00 USD says whoever was responsible is being payed by a law firm on behalf of gaming studios.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 hour ago, ElfenSky said:

the one time I'm glad I missed that era of gaming and as such don't go looking for them.

I'm just lucky that my retro gaming was all on DOS...and that I still have a computer that works with all of my old diskettes. No need to download retro games when you still have  your original copies.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Well emuparadise stopped mattering to me once all the nintendo games got removed.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

38 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

Yet you made an account here.

cause this site is worth it

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

According to EP this was actually done back in April 2018 but has only just become public knowledge. At the time of the attack they forced a password reset on all users so your old password won't work on the site now anyway.

Kinda sucks for anyone using the same password for multiple sites though if they haven't changed it in a while.

https://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?116692-possible-data-breach

Gaming Rig: Intel i5 8600k @ 5Ghz (-1 AVX) 1.325v - MSI Z370 Gaming M5 mobo - MSI GTX1070 Gaming 8GB - 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2600MHz 4x8GB - CM ML240L RGB 240mm AIO - 240GB NVME, 480GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD - Corsair RM750x PSU - Silverstone PM02

Media Server: Intel G4400 - MSI Z270 Gaming Plus - 4GB RAM - 600GB WD Raptor - 10TB RAID5 - CM HAF932

Surface Pro 4: Intel i7 6650U - 8GB RAM - 256GB SSD

Dell Latitude E6530: Intel i7 3520M - 8GB DDR3 - Nvidia NVS 5200M 1GB - 300GB HDD

NAS: Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ v2 4TB 

3 hours ago, comander said:

Unauthorized computer access is a serious crime. 

More likely to be a criminal or state organization outside of the US or EU. 

Could always be a gaming company paying them to do it.

Meh. Just speculating.

@AlexOak Please don't forget to add a summary and of the article as per the Tech News Guidelines. Currently it has been moved to general discussion and may be re-evaluated once updated.

On 6/9/2019 at 5:57 PM, Trik'Stari said:

$5.00 USD says whoever was responsible is being payed by a law firm on behalf of gaming studios.

You say some pretty outlandish stuff sometimes, but I'm in on this pot.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Got the email about it. Not much care is given from me here. Since the leak is way after I had changed over to keepass to get a unique string of random characters for use as a password. (password history says I created it in 2015... so yeah)

...I'm pretty sure I only made an account on there because they forced me to in order to download something and haven't been on there in years.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 hours ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

You say some pretty outlandish stuff sometimes, but I'm in on this pot.

I'm just saying, I wouldn't put it past some corporate type to have the mentality "We're gonna get those fucken pirates!" and do something completely illegal to do it.

They already do some pretty dumb shit to try to combat piracy.

Just use a site like haveibeenpwned.com which will look for pastes and other places these passwords can be shared. Then just issue a take down notice on them and change any accounts that used the same password