How did Apple DO this? - MacBook Pro 2019

0:50 the 2019 MBP is definitely faster than your 2011! I really enjoyed this video. It is amazing what Intel & Apple has done. I have seen in other videos that it appears that the CPU power usage/heat output isn't much more than the 6-core in the 2018 MBP. Further 14nm optimizations, more undervolting? 

If the MBP in iOS undervolts the CPU reliably, are they using specially binned CPUs? Can we find the table and use the same frequency <-> voltage levels in Windows and possibly in other laptops with some tweaks? Utilities in iOS to show voltages?

8 hours ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

To be totally fair, what Apple is doing under macOS is running the processor technically out of spec by undervolting the CPU. This could lead to some chips being unstable if they ever actually reached that 5GHz single core boost, due to the fact that it was designed with one voltage value in mind and is seeing another.

But, this won't happen, and the 8c MBP will probably be my next laptop regardless, though with the Vega 20 GPU. My 2014 is nice and all, but 2 cores really does hurt encoding times when I want to do some video editing on campus away from my desktop.

I mean, does it matter? Unlike most manufacturers, they're undervolting the cpu, which isn't nearly as bad as overvolting the CPU in terms of electrical damage, and 1000x easier to fix. Besides, they're still outperforming competitors. 

I will admit, however, that current apple laptop keyboards suck balls and it's one of the main reasons I refuse to buy one. 

10 hours ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

2011 was taken off the supported list with High Sierra, actually. It is not officially supported on Mojave.

But, a guy named DosDude1 releases legacy patchers that allow non supported macs to run Mojave, supporting very old laptops like the 2007 Macbook, which I tested. It works very good, actually. Even GPU Acceleration was working on the old nVidia GPU if you use Dark Mode. Light Mode for some reason produces artifacts.

Interesting... I use a 2007 MacBook Pro that I only just updated to Sierra last month, and it's been running great since then (out of control temps/fans/processes have calmed down)...I mainly use it for web browsing (like right now) and light MS Office stuff these days, but it's better then it's been in a long time with the upgraded.

(been wondering if I should replace the thermal paste as I've heard that's sometimes a thing you do, so if anyone here has opinions on that... :D )

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

6 hours ago, livinmediocre said:

Hey quick question: can somebody direct me as to how Anthony was able to see how many times his email to Apple had been opened, or opened at all? @5:20 in the video

I took it to be more along the lines of assuming "They saw it was from Linus Tech Tips and threw it away" rather than actually knowing they had opened it etc.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

@GabenJr

How does it come that you use a 2011 MacBook as your Daily Driver? Do you actually prefer MacOS over Windows/ Linux?

Your job background would've made me think otherwise.

Hold on why is there a grater in the lower left corner of the overhead shots. Is this what goes on at LTT behind the scenes?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

loved this video , very concise and clear 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

5 hours ago, caspar! said:

A real Mac is one of the few machines that can cripple boot the 3 major operating systems without too much trouble. I figure that might have something to do with it. 

Mac's are generally better laptops though, this was especially true in 2011 imo. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 hours ago, caspar! said:

@GabenJr

How does it come that you use a 2011 MacBook as your Daily Driver? Do you actually prefer MacOS over Windows/ Linux?

What @DrMacintosh said, but I also make a habit of using everything. My gaming PC is running Linux currently, my work PC is running Win10, and my laptop's macOS. For some things, I prefer macOS for sure - Time Machine is a big one (you can get back up and running REALLY fast after a format or drive replacement on a Mac), but also in terms of interoperability with the rest of the Apple ecosystem. Linux I like for its versatility; Being on the bleeding edge or sticking with old packages is a choice you can make for yourself there, and the developments along the gaming front have been exciting to say the least (I haven't booted my gaming PC into Windows in quite some time now). Windows... Well, it's Windows. Sometimes that's a good thing (software availability), and other times not so much (stability, customization, etc). The fun part is getting them all to work together nicely.

Similarly, I also use both iOS and Android wherever I can. Disregarding the difference in app ecosystems, iOS is great for its ability to get back up and running after a wipe quickly and painlessly, though while it's been getting more Android-like features as time goes on, it's still pretty limited in terms of customization. Android is kind of like Linux in that you can make of it what you will, although unless you're willing (and able) to root, you're at the whims of the device manufacturer whether or not you'll get OS updates in a timely fashion or at all for devices a few years old. Some are good for it, others not so much.

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

9 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

Interesting... I use a 2007 MacBook Pro that I only just updated to Sierra last month, and it's been running great since then (out of control temps/fans/processes have calmed down)...I mainly use it for web browsing (like right now) and light MS Office stuff these days, but it's better then it's been in a long time with the upgraded.

(been wondering if I should replace the thermal paste as I've heard that's sometimes a thing you do, so if anyone here has opinions on that... :D )

Both the Macbook and Macbook Pro of 2007 is on DosDude's no fly zone. I have verified it works, but maybe it is due to GPU acceleration bugs on light theme? I'm unsure... Even the iSight cam works, which is not a given on patched macOS. Here is the link, if you wish to try: http://dosdude1.com/mojave/

Unsupported list in spoiler tag below.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

30 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

What @DrMacintosh said, but I also make a habit of using everything. My gaming PC is running Linux currently, my work PC is running Win10, and my laptop's macOS. For some things, I prefer macOS for sure - Time Machine is a big one (you can get back up and running REALLY fast after a format or drive replacement on a Mac), but also in terms of interoperability with the rest of the Apple ecosystem. Linux I like for its versatility; Being on the bleeding edge or sticking with old packages is a choice you can make for yourself there, and the developments along the gaming front have been exciting to say the least (I haven't booted my gaming PC into Windows in quite some time now). Windows... Well, it's Windows. Sometimes that's a good thing (software availability), and other times not so much (stability, customization, etc). The fun part is getting them all to work together nicely.

Similarly, I also use both iOS and Android wherever I can. Disregarding the difference in app ecosystems, iOS is great for its ability to get back up and running after a wipe quickly and painlessly, though while it's been getting more Android-like features as time goes on, it's still pretty limited in terms of customization. Android is kind of like Linux in that you can make of it what you will, although unless you're willing (and able) to root, you're at the whims of the device manufacturer whether or not you'll get OS updates in a timely fashion or at all for devices a few years old. Some are good for it, others not so much.

Time Machine is an absolute blessing. I genuinely wish Windows had such a reliable easy to use alternative baked in. At the moment my backup flow for Windows consists of live booting Manjaro Linux and making an ISO of the disks using DD, and copying them to my vault storage.

Do you keep backups of editing rigs and other crucial systems at LTT? What software do you use? I have been unable to find something satisfactory other than my above method that would allow me to simply restore to a backup by writing an image back to a fresh drive.

Also one other question, while I'm writing this post. At LTT does anybody edit on Macs? Is it something Linus prohibits, or did your editing team simply not care for Final Cut Pro? I'm an editor myself, certified in both FCP and Premier Pro, always preferred Final Cut Pro. I obviously don't know your work flow, but I don't know of anything macOS and FCP can't do that Premier can.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 

10 hours ago, danwat1234 said:

0:50 the 2019 MBP is definitely faster than your 2011! I really enjoyed this video. It is amazing what Intel & Apple has done. I have seen in other videos that it appears that the CPU power usage/heat output isn't much more than the 6-core in the 2018 MBP. Further 14nm optimizations, more undervolting? 

If the MBP in iOS undervolts the CPU reliably, are they using specially binned CPUs? Can we find the table and use the same frequency <-> voltage levels in Windows and possibly in other laptops with some tweaks? Utilities in iOS to show voltages?

The T2 chip does not allow utilities that modify basic functions you can otherwise. MacsFanControl does not work under windows, XTU does not work, and everything similar does not work.

Also, it is macOS, not iOS

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

cripple

So true....so true ?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

So true....so true ?

Lol, I meant triple. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 hours ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Time Machine is an absolute blessing.

I had an issue when I tried to boot my MacBook into Windows. Long story short I was getting display flickering in macOS but not Windows and the machine was running hot. SMC/PRAM/NVRAM resets didn't work.

I couldn't find any documentation on this happening to anyone else before. I was only able to determine the cause of the problem (it was M$ OneDrive). I was only able to correct the file system errors, but nothing else. 

I gave up and went for broke and just removed my BootCamp install and wiped the entire SSD. After reinstalling macOS I selected Restore from Time Machine and my computer was back to normal in about an hour. It literally copy and pasted my entire machine. 

I personally can't see myself ever owning a Windows laptop after that experience. 

36 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I had an issue when I tried to boot my MacBook into Windows. Long story short I was getting display flickering in macOS but not Windows and the machine was running hot. SMC/PRAM/NVRAM resets didn't work.

I couldn't find any documentation on this happening to anyone else before. I was only able to determine the cause of the problem (it was M$ OneDrive). I was only able to correct the file system errors, but nothing else. 

I gave up and went for broke and just removed my BootCamp install and wiped the entire SSD. After reinstalling macOS I selected Restore from Time Machine and my computer was back to normal in about an hour. It literally copy and pasted my entire machine. 

I personally can't see myself ever owning a Windows laptop after that experience. 

I maintain a few windows devices, including my shop laptop (used mostly for making boot USB's as I have had the best success doing this from RUFUS). I've never seen issues like that, but at the same time I 100% do not doubt it at all.

Do you run MacsFanControl on your Macbook? I deem it a necessity these days.

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Do you run MacsFanControl on your Macbook?

Yeah I do. But my MacBook has a 15W CPU so it doesn't get that hot. I have it mostly so my lap stays cooler. 

9 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yeah I do. But my MacBook has a 15W CPU so it doesn't get that hot. I have it mostly so my lap stays cooler. 

I have a 2014 Macbook Air. On the stock fan curve it will hit over 90c before the fan will ramp up at all. I have it set now not to go above 80c before pinning the fans. It levels off at ~50c under regular usage (Discord and Chrome open with music streaming.)

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 hours ago, GabenJr said:

My gaming PC is running Linux currently, my work PC is running Win10, and my laptop's macOS. For some things, I prefer macOS for sure - Time Machine is a big one (you can get back up and running REALLY fast after a format or drive replacement on a Mac), but also in terms of interoperability with the rest of the Apple ecosystem. Linux I like for its versatility; Being on the bleeding edge or sticking with old packages is a choice you can make for yourself there, and the developments along the gaming front have been exciting to say the least (I haven't booted my gaming PC into Windows in quite some time now). Windows... Well, it's Windows. Sometimes that's a good thing (software availability), and other times not so much (stability, customization, etc). The fun part is getting them all to work together nicely.

Thanks for the quick response!

I am just with you that it's the best option to stay open to all platforms. 

But at some point it's just annoying to always have to switch between ecosystems, especially if they're very restrictive like MacOS. Surely it's being made easy by all that

synchronisation platforms provided by every manufacturer - but privacy is a concerning point.

For some time I have now thought about building a computer focused towards complete virtualisation,

so there can be a quick switch between all the operating systems - unfortunately that is a very complicated and in many terms unstable solution.

One thing I wanted to share with this thread are Apples ridiculous prices overseas, in my case Germany:

The Base Core i9 option costs:

US Apple Store: 2799 USD

GER Apple Store: 3734 USD (3299Eur)

Now Germany has a general import tax of 19%, and there are no special taxes on Laptops. So if I do the math:

US Apple Store: 2799 USD * 1,19 = 3330 USD

Conclusion:

US Apple Store 2799 USD

GER Apple Store: 3734 USD

Self-Imported MBP: 3330 USD

WTH is the price difference coming from?

And it's not even an option to import one yourself, because you would have to send it back to the US for Repairs.

Maybe somebody can explain this to me? Thx

Holy shit is this video from a parallel universe or something?! Great editing, clean and professional (Anthony is great as always but looks even better in this one) AND LINUS IS ACTUALLY LOOKING DECENT FOR ONCE???

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

8 minutes ago, caspar! said:

Thanks for the quick response!

I am just with you that it's the best option to stay open to all platforms. 

But at some point it's just annoying to always have to switch between ecosystems, especially if they're very restrictive like MacOS. Surely it's being made easy by all that

synchronisation platforms provided by every manufacturer - but privacy is a concerning point.

For some time I have now thought about building a computer focused towards complete virtualisation,

so there can be a quick switch between all the operating systems - unfortunately that is a very complicated and in many terms unstable solution.

One thing I wanted to share with this thread are Apples ridiculous prices overseas, in my case Germany:

The Base Core i9 option costs:

US Apple Store: 2799 USD

GER Apple Store: 3734 USD (3299Eur)

Now Germany has a general import tax of 19%, and there are no special taxes on Laptops. So if I do the math:

US Apple Store: 2799 USD * 1,19 = 3330 USD

Conclusion:

US Apple Store 2799 USD

GER Apple Store: 3734 USD

Self-Imported MBP: 3330 USD

WTH is the price difference coming from?

And it's not even an option to import one yourself, because you would have to send it back to the US for Repairs.

Maybe somebody can explain this to me? Thx

The simple answer, as I know it, is greed.

Apple knows they can charge more in Germany for some reason. This could be GDP, Average Income, or any number of other things of this nature. Germany is not the outlier here, tech products in korea cost 15-20% more across the board even when coming from companies that are headquartered there, such as LG.

There may be some other reason I am unaware of, such as some strange tense democracy between Germany and China (where all Apple products are assembled.), or the German government collecting an additional not commonly talked about tax, or any number of oddities. But that being said, I would imagine it is simply Apple squeezing every penny out of every market they can, just as every other company does/should.

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

10 hours ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

The T2 chip does not allow utilities that modify basic functions you can otherwise. MacsFanControl does not work under windows, XTU does not work, and everything similar does not work.

Also, it is macOS, not iOS

So we can see the voltage of the CPU within MacOS but can't modify. Would be interesting to map out the frequency-voltage table and see if it can be used on other laptops.

On 6/9/2019 at 5:01 PM, SenpaiKaplan said:

2011 was taken off the supported list with High Sierra, actually. It is not officially supported on Mojave.

But, a guy named DosDude1 releases legacy patchers that allow non supported macs to run Mojave, supporting very old laptops like the 2007 Macbook, which I tested. It works very good, actually. Even GPU Acceleration was working on the old nVidia GPU if you use Dark Mode. Light Mode for some reason produces artifacts.

I have a mid-2009 MacBook Pro (on a Core2Duo), XNU can still work on Penryn+ processors to a degree, but I didn't involve any of dosdude's patchers (for various safety reasons).

On 6/9/2019 at 1:59 PM, GabenJr said:

Another year, another MacBook… Or so it seems. Has Apple changed more than just the spec this time around, or can we judge this book by its cover?

Buy a 2019 MacBook Pro from Apple: https://lmg.gg/8KVRs

Buy an ASUS SCAR III:
On Amazon: https://geni.us/Ykag0D
On Newegg: https://geni.us/4HOwG0

YOU did an awesome job on this video Anthony!

Really cool to see the new MBP perform better without any changes to the thermal solution. Turns out Apple is listening (I like to think of them as some guy in the dark corner in the room taking notes of everyone) and they've finally done something. :D I wonder what changes they've got in store on the keyboard front!

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

MacBook Pro 13" (2018) | ThinkPad x230 | iPad Air 2     

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~