half of my games are gone

SHG_Marsh

I recently cleaned my pc with canned air and a damp cloth to clean the case. Then I let my pc sit because I was getting a new desk. When I turned on my pc today half of my games couldn't be opened. Windows says the file could not be located. So at first I tried to see if I needed to sign into steam but some of my steam games I could open and I couldn't open steam. I don't think there is a problem with my drive because I still have some games. How can I get these games back without re installing?

Did water from the cloth get into the drives?

Do you have windows update on? (might have fucked with it overnight)

i7 6700k, GTX 1080, Crucial MX 300, Maximus VII Hero, WD Blue, 16 GB RAM

Just now, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

Did water from the cloth get into the drives?

Do you have windows update on? (might have fucked with it overnight)

No water was dripping from the cloth. Also my computer was unplugged and sitting on my floor till today. And whats weird that I just say is that my drive isn't being noticed in file explorer but I can play apex or rainbow which is downloaded on that drive. 

Just now, Ravendarat said:

How many drives does your comp have

2. One 120 ssd for windows and important apps and a 1tb hhd

3 minutes ago, SHG_Marsh said:

2. One 120 ssd for windows and important apps and a 1tb hhd

Is the 1TB HDD showing up in My PC in Windows?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

Is the 1TB HDD showing up in My PC in Windows?

no but I can open some games, which is weird

Just now, Ravendarat said:

Have you tried running a scan on the drive to see if its corrupt

how do I do this

Just now, SHG_Marsh said:

no but I can open some games, which is weird

If it's not showing up as a drive in My PC in windows then it's not detecting the drive, which is why it can't find your games. Maybe the games that are working are installed on the SSD?

Try shutting down the PC and checking the cables to the HDD and the motherboard and make sure they're properly plugged in. You might have accidentally pulled the cable loose while cleaning the system.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

If it's not showing up as a drive in My PC in windows then it's not detecting the drive, which is why it can't find your games. Maybe the games that are working are installed on the SSD?

Try shutting down the PC and checking the cables to the HDD and the motherboard and make sure they're properly plugged in. You might have accidentally pulled the cable loose while cleaning the system.

I agree,

very weird stuff has happened, when i had a sata cable poorly connected to my hdd. Reconnecting all the cables fixed it.

Also the SATA cables come loose very easily, so @SHG_Marsh open up your computer and check all the sata data and sata power cables, pull them out and reconnect carefully, make sure they are fully in.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Just now, Spotty said:

What I did wqas disconnect the cables and clean them with air then I plugged them back in. This worked. Thanks.

Just now, Origami Cactus said:

I agree,

very weird stuff has happened, when i had a sata cable poorly connected to my hdd. Reconnecting all the cables fixed it.

Also the SATA cables come loose very easily, so @SHG_Marsh open up your computer and check all the sata data and sata power cables, pull them out and reconnect carefully, make sure they are fully in.