MSI Mocks Apple w/ New Prestige 5K Monitor (stand included!)

GTzXJwGBcwqSpQDBXv9Tb3-970-80.jpg

"I'm a Mac, and this is a PC. ?️?

"the ultrawide has a 21:9 ratio (true 5K resolution is 5120 x 2880), which MSI noted offers creatives 33% extra work area when working on 16:9 content in 4K resolution. The display carries a standard 60 Hz refresh rate and 5 ms response time. 

.......it covers 98% of the DCI-P3 color gamut and 100% sRGB, while also boasting DisplayHDR 600 certification, which promises 600 nits max brightness and high-contrast HDR content delivery. The monitor's contrast ratio is pegged at 1,200:1, and its color count is a whopping 1.07 billion.

Speaking of colors, Prestige PS341WU is working with an anti-glare Nano IPS screen, which is basically a form of IPS that promises brighter and more saturated colors.

Ports are aplenty with two HDMI 2.0 and one each of DisplayPort 1, USB Type-C, USB 3.1 Gen1 Type A, USB 3.1 Gen1 Type B, 3.5mm headphone jack, mic in and an audio jack combo for connecting your PC to the monitor."

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-optrix-mpg341cqr-specs-price,38382.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-prestige-ps341wu-5k-creative-monitor,39440.html

https://www.techradar.com/news/msi-mocks-apples-dollar999-pro-display-xdr-stand-with-a-5k-monitor-for-almost-the-same-price

More eyecandy:

Spoiler

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9GL1QvODM5MDgxL29yaWdpbmFsL21zaS1jcmVhdGl2ZS1tb25pdG9yLmpwZw==

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS85L0YvODE4MTE1L29yaWdpbmFsL21zaV9tb25pdG9yXzQuanBn

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9GL1gvODM5MDg1L29yaWdpbmFsL0lNR183ODM1LkpQRw==

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9GL1kvODM5MDg2L29yaWdpbmFsL2NvdmVyLkpQRw==

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9GL1YvODM5MDgzL29yaWdpbmFsL0lNR183ODM0LkpQRw==

Thoughts, everyone?

It’s a nice marketing opportunity, but the Apple Pro Display XDR is an entirely different class of monitor. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

While funny, it's HIGHLY unlikely that this monitor will sway anyone from the XDR. The XDR is very squarely aimed at being an inexpensive reference monitor alternative, not a general consumer/prosumer monitor.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

13 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

While funny, it's HIGHLY unlikely that this monitor will sway anyone from the XDR. The XDR is very squarely aimed at being an inexpensive reference monitor alternative, not a general consumer/prosumer monitor.

I don't know, cheap shiny plastic is all the rage these days.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, 79wjd said:

I don't know, cheap shiny plastic is all the rage these days.

Nah, cheap, matte plastic looking like cheap, anodized aluminum (or straight up cheap, anodized aluminum) is all the rage these days.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

45 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

It’s a nice marketing opportunity, but the Apple Pro Display XDR is an entirely different class of monitor.

It's also 5 times as expensive ... or 4 times if you don't buy the stand.

3 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

It's also 5 times as expensive ... or 4 times if you don't buy the stand.

The Pro Display is positioned as an inexpensive reference monitor and is taking on monitors that are in the 5 digit price range.

This MSi monitor isn’t even in the same league as the Pro Display XDR. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

They're not comparing their monitor to Apple's monitor. They're comparing their monitor against the Apple monitor's stand. If the choice is between an okay monitor or a monitor stand, the choice is obvious. ?

While Apple's monitor is supposed to be comparable to a much more expensive reference monitor, it's probably best to wait for independent reviews to verify how good it actually is. 

:)

It's really funny. Some people just can't get that anyone who would even be considering Apple's monitor would already know what it's good for. Also XDR is a stupid acronym that is already used by 2 other standards.. 

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

They aren't comparing the Msi monitor to the XDR monitor at all though, just the stand. Which is fair enough, I can't imagine a regular-ish monitor stand ever being worth that kind of money.

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

We may joke about them being in different leagues, but I have a feeling this monitor will have 70% od performance of XDR for almost 1/5 the price. And it's from MSI who is not famous for their monitors. This is an interesting monitor. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

43 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

We may joke about them being in different leagues, but I have a feeling this monitor will have 70% od performance of XDR for almost 1/5 the price. And it's from MSI who is not famous for their monitors. This is an interesting monitor. 

Most pro gear is only 10% better than the average consumer market product,  but it's that last 10% that costs all the moula to make and is necessary for professionals. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

The Pro Display is positioned as an inexpensive reference monitor and is taking on monitors that are in the 5 digit price range.

An example of a reference monitor please?

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

5 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Let's wait until the reviews before we go saying "taking on" things. The big question people are asking is if apple will adhere to already in place standards. If they don't there is no real place for this monitor in the professional world, and it's too expensive for enthusiasts. 

5 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

They don't make fun of the Monitor.
They make fun of the Stand and the Price of the Stand.

ITs just a bit of metal and at 1/3 the Price it wouldn't be as bad, though still pretty bad...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

41 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

They don't make fun of the Monitor.
They make fun of the Stand and the Price of the Stand.

ITs just a bit of metal and at 1/3 the Price it wouldn't be as bad, though still pretty bad...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/monitor-table-top-stand-mounts/ci/27607/cp/3644+17761+27604+27607

It's not like specialty stands don't exist at stupidly high prices.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

How is this compared to the LG 5K2K ultrawide?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

9 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Who cares about the monitor, that's a non issue. The issue is with the stand price which is the joke here.  Apple could make a $5 stand for the XDR and the monitor is just as good.

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/monitor-table-top-stand-mounts/ci/27607/cp/3644+17761+27604+27607

At least basically all of those take more than one monitor, even up to 6, for often less and have better positioning capabilities than the Apple stand. The Apple stand is a nice piece of art though, you can't argue with the price of art ?

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

There are stupidly high priced monitor stands, but they usually aren't made from recycled aluminium, give only option to height adjustment, pivot and tilt and they are not for one monitor. Samsung and Panasonic seem to do the same shit as Apple, but they don't go out with a big show trying to sell those stands.

Just now, leadeater said:

At least basically all of those take more than one monitor, even up to 6, for often less and have better positioning capabilities than the Apple stand. The Apple stand is a nice piece of art though, you can't argue with the price of art ?

I can argue with whatever I want, I sometimes just don't want to.    Do I think it's over priced? sure, is it worth a song and dance? nah.