Apple continues to sue norway phone repair shop owner

spartaman64

7 minutes ago, CookieSmasherGus said:

The thousand dollar monitor stand really made a point on how disconnected they are from reality.

Or the opposite. Even negative publicity is good marketing.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Long story short 

Apple: Doesn't have much of a presence in Norway when it comes to having repair centers and such for official repairs of their products. 

Also Apple: Sues the one store that's probably one of the very few in Norway that actually provides repair services for Apple products. 

Are you really trying to get on everyone's hate list, Apple? 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

17 hours ago, realsmart987 said:

They're already the most profitable company in the world.  They don't need more money.

This is false. They are not the most profitable , but they are in the top 5.

So they are currently number 3... they are about half of Walmart who destroys everyone. Then you have Amazon who will overtake them in a few years. 

Screenshot_20190612-171857_Chrome.jpg

14 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

So they are currently number 3... they are about half of Walmart who destroys everyone. Then you have Amazon who will overtake them in a few years. 

That appears to be revenue, not profit.

17 hours ago, wasab said:

Bottom line, Apple is the new mega evil. Microsoft has reddem itself somewhat for partnering up and supporting their former competitors. They are contirbuting to the Linux kernel and licensing many of their propietary patents so other can use them without any legal trouble, not to mention GitHub private repo is now free.(which is awesome) I think Microsoft has a role behind it, idk. 

Apple remains the biggest evil in how they shut down competitions and engaged anti consumer pratices by abusing their patens and market share to drive/sue small competiting bussiness out of extinction. 

Don't go saying stuff like that, the angry MS haters will spend the next 5 pages telling you your wrong because...

18 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

revenue and profits are different.   

And according to this list they aren't even in the top 10 for revenue.

http://fortune.com/global500/

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

"Apple continues to be an A** Hole" Is what the title should have been.

Why is Apple so bitchy about it? Just look at the car industry. There are thousands of aftermarket parts for every car component. Why should electronics be any different? It's not a counterfeit if someone provides unofficial, but compatible part. This should especially apply if official vendor doesn't even provide such parts!

14 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Why is Apple so bitchy about it? Just look at the car industry. There are thousands of aftermarket parts for every car component. Why should electronics be any different? It's not a counterfeit if someone provides unofficial, but compatible part. This should especially apply if official vendor doesn't even provide such parts!

Car industry = multiple manufacturers. Apple = themselves only. They have more control, and more to lose.

ALL mega corps are considered evil in my book... they either use their near monopoly status to silence and crush any competition, engage in anti competitive practices to maintain their dominance and simply buy their way out of trouble when found to be acting illegally... or are just plain evil in the way they treat their slaves staff.

The only thing they care about is money... consumers can go fuck themselves as far as all of them are concerned. If they see an opportunity to gouge the gullible buyers out of more money, they take it and rub their hands with glee at the muppets who continue to buy into their bullshit.

Until consumers wake up to the lies, deceit, immoral and unethical ways these companies operate and stop supporting them by buying their products, or using their services...They will continue to abuse their position and the consumer.

Don't be a sheep... Support companies that aren't utter wankers.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

2 hours ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

ALL mega corps are considered evil in my book... they either use their near monopoly status to silence and crush any competition, engage in anti competitive practices to maintain their dominance and simply buy their way out of trouble when found to be acting illegally... or are just plain evil in the way they treat their slaves staff.

The only thing they care about is money... consumers can go fuck themselves as far as all of them are concerned. If they see an opportunity to gouge the gullible buyers out of more money, they take it and rub their hands with glee at the muppets who continue to buy into their bullshit.

Until consumers wake up to the lies, deceit, immoral and unethical ways these companies operate and stop supporting them by buying their products, or using their services...They will continue to abuse their position and the consumer.

You're basically describing the vast majority of companies larger than a startup/small family business, and even a decent chunk of startups/family businesses.

Businesses are generally, first and foremost, preoccupied with maximizing profits.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

So going back to that fortune list and Apple's profitability, it's on the 1st place: http://fortune.com/global500/list/filtered?sortBy=profits&first500

On 6/7/2019 at 11:58 PM, harryk said:

This interferes with Apple's model of ensuring the best user experience throughout the life of a product. Apple doesn't want you going to an independent repair shop to have your iPhone screen replaced with what may be a substandard component. Even if you understand you're cheaping out, if you later sell the iPhone to someone else they won't know and instead will now have a bad impression of iPhone screens. This scenario can have real consequences as well. Apple sells the iPhone with some guarantee of data security and privacy. If a phone is repaired with subpar components it may not be secure anymore. This is why non-Apple repaired iPhones that have the fingerprint reader replaced will disable Touch ID and accompanying security features, because Apple can no longer guarantee it.

Maybe this is overly cynical, but the typical consumer is not educated. They will screw up their own device and they will blame the manufacturer.

This post has some painful flaws, number one being: Apple will not sell their original parts to repair shops, if they can somehow gain access to genuine Apple parts, Apple does everything in it's power to ensure it stops.

Even their own certified repair places don't have access to many parts. Louis Rossman had a video where he had multiple examples from a place that is official Apple service for Macs which show that the best user experience is not their aim, an illusion of the best user experience allowing to extort users for more money sounds much more right. Here's the video, just remember that most of those things apply to nearly every firm, not only Apple:

21 hours ago, RejZoR said:

The car industry works on parts sharing. Honda don't make their dampers they are made by a company that makes dampers, and branded Honda. Same is true for most parts other than the unique components like engine blocks, but even so the spark plugs, fuel pump, wiring etc are all standardised parts across the industry, you only change the spec and configuration. It's the only way it can work. 

In this case apple, who also use standardard components with the software (firmware) being the real ip, are saying that people are cloning their spec and config and selling them as non apple parts. It's like someone taking the badge off a BMW then selling it as a Canyonaero. Or at least that's what they are trying to claim. 

A good car company to look at for comparison is tesla, they are trying to behave just like apple, but because they are not a big enough company, and they are currently in a niche market, they can't really affect other companies actions so no one really cares that they refuse to supply plans or parts to the rest of the industry. They can't stop people taking their tesla to a normal mechanic, but if any of their bespoke parts needs fixing you need to either pay them to do it or find someone willing to spend the time and money to reverse engineer the working parts to then stand a chance of fixing yours, and because people are awesome those guys exist. 

7 hours ago, Loote said:

So going back to that fortune list and Apple's profitability, it's on the 1st place: http://fortune.com/global500/list/filtered?sortBy=profits&first500

This post has some painful flaws, number one being: Apple will not sell their original parts to repair shops, if they can somehow gain access to genuine Apple parts, Apple does everything in it's power to ensure it stops.

Even their own certified repair places don't have access to many parts. Louis Rossman had a video where he had multiple examples from a place that is official Apple service for Macs which show that the best user experience is not their aim, an illusion of the best user experience allowing to extort users for more money sounds much more right. Here's the video, just remember that most of those things apply to nearly every firm, not only Apple:

audio needs to be sinked

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

I wonder what they think they can get out of this. You can't fight third-party repair shops in general, that's just asinine. And what does it earn them even if a single shop ends up being shut down in the end?

Countersuits in place I hope

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

On 6/7/2019 at 11:37 PM, harryk said:

It is my understanding that in some countries, notably Germany, repairing or modifying your car with parts that are not certified is illegal. Modifications require an inspection before the car is legally allowed on the road again. Considering how many unsafe sh*tboxes I see on the highways here in the US I would very much support such a law.

I've heard countless stories of people going to the Apple Store with 3rd party repaired devices. Apple has to either refuse service or replace all non-OEM components yielding a service bill much higher than the consumer expected. Additionally I reference the multiple lawsuits against Apple for iPhones catching fire while charging. After investigation they were all using unsafe crappy third party or counterfeit USB chargers.

Again maybe overly cynical, but I don't see the average consumer differentiating between an Apple repair or a 3rd party repair after the fact.

as someone who lives in a country with lots of restrictions like that, i can tell you it absolutely sucks, you have a good amount of people that want to enter the hobby of modifying their cars expect that every change they make they have to certify it which has significant costs (i believe its somewhere between 200 and 1k euros) so most end up not doing it, we dont need the state babysitting every one 

This sucks on many levels/.

The main problem is exactly the right to repair: if apple doesnt supply non-counterfeit screens, and if the aftermarket screens are deemed illegal, there would be no way to get your phone repaired than through Apple.

If Apple then decided to charge you the price of a new phone for a repair, you'd be stupid not to just get a new phone. Planned obsolescence and no right to repair.

On 6/14/2019 at 8:47 AM, RejZoR said:

It does seem this whole thing could have been avoided if the Apple logo had not been on the aftermarket screens? I kind of see Apples point there, and I dont see why aftermarket vendors are not just upfront and say: This is aftermarket, not original. Everyone knows this anyway. It does seem legit that Apple could claim it harms their brand, having aftermarket lesser quality parts out there that claim to be original parts....

I dont think Apple would have any grounds for a lawsuit if the screen said: "Aftermarket screen XYZ" and the repair shop "HAPPENED" to use said XYZ screen to repair an iPhone.

You could say this thing is Apple being Apple, but it just as much is China being china. Dont claim your shit is original parts, if they are NOT.

3 hours ago, maartendc said:

It does seem this whole thing could have been avoided if the Apple logo had not been on the aftermarket screens? I kind of see Apples point there, and I dont see why aftermarket vendors are not just upfront and say: This is aftermarket, not original. Everyone knows this anyway. It does seem legit that Apple could claim it harms their brand, having aftermarket lesser quality parts out there that claim to be original parts....

I dont think Apple would have any grounds for a lawsuit if the screen said: "Aftermarket screen XYZ" and the repair shop "HAPPENED" to use said XYZ screen to repair an iPhone.

You could say this thing is Apple being Apple, but it just as much is China being china. Dont claim your shit is original parts, if they are NOT.

They are very upfront about it. The logos are specifically painted over, and they aren't sold to consumers (either as genuine parts or otherwise), they're just used in the repair shop. This is why Apple lost the case in the first instance.

4 hours ago, maartendc said:

This sucks on many levels/.

The main problem is exactly the right to repair: if apple doesnt supply non-counterfeit screens, and if the aftermarket screens are deemed illegal, there would be no way to get your phone repaired than through Apple.

If Apple then decided to charge you the price of a new phone for a repair, you'd be stupid not to just get a new phone. Planned obsolescence and no right to repair.

there were apple logos on the parts because apple put it on them. they are apple parts and the logos were painted over and its on the inside of the phone so the consumer doesnt seem them anyways

16 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

there were apple logos on the parts because apple put it on them. they are apple parts and the logos were painted over and its on the inside of the phone so the consumer doesnt seem them anyways

Well reading the article, it sounds like the screens were "refurbished". Which would imply original Apple parts taken from broken phones. If that is the case, that should be fine, because there is no counterfeiting going on. I dont understand how Apple would have grounds for legal action.

But we all know, often times things that are sold as "refurbished" are actually fake (aka counterfeit) products. Believe me, I have repaired my own phone screens before, and MOST screens CLAIM to be original parts / refurbished parts, whereas they are actually just aftermarket (or if they have the company logo on them, counterfeit).

If a shipment was seized, the shipment manifest says "refurbished iphone screens" but the screens are actually aftermarket, I could see how Apple would have grounds to sue. The article in this case says the screen itself was original, but the glass was aftermarket. They should have just called it aftermarket, not refurbished. The term refurbished implies a 100% original part that was inspected and made to function like new BY THE MANUFACTURER.

I hate the word refurbished nowadays. It used to mean something. Nowadays when you shop online, refurbished just means: hey, this shit is shady / used / fell off a truck. Buy at your own risk. I only buy "refurbished" directly from manufacturers anymore.

On 6/14/2019 at 9:24 AM, Anomnomnomaly said:

Kind of hard to do in the tech world, since there's like 7 real players out there. Apple, Intel, Qualcomm, Samsung, Hynix, Micron, Microsoft.

Good luck finding a piece of tech that doesn't profit at least one of those companies.

I'm pretty sure my purpose in life is to serve as a warning for others.

3 hours ago, Blze001 said:

Kind of hard to do in the tech world, since there's like 7 real players out there. Apple, Intel, Qualcomm, Samsung, Hynix, Micron, Microsoft.

Good luck finding a piece of tech that doesn't profit at least one of those companies.

amd

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

11 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

VRAM. 

touche

9 hours ago, maartendc said:

I hate the word refurbished nowadays. It used to mean something. Nowadays when you shop online, refurbished just means: hey, this shit is shady / used / fell off a truck. Buy at your own risk. I only buy "refurbished" directly from manufacturers anymore.

We have two types of refurbished products here... 'Manufacturer' refurbs and everything else.  The former must be done by the original maker or an authorised repairer.

Buying a manufacturer repaired item can save you quite a bit of money and they normally come with the same warranty as a 'new' one does.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.