Questions regarding 4K UHD

CTR640

Hi everyone,

currently I have 21.5" VA monitor which is the BenQ GW2270H and I'm pleased with it.

However, there might be a point where I'm planning for a new monitor but that one is 4K UHD and not all games can be run easily on that resolution. So how would it look when I set the desktop resolution on 1080p and when playing games, I set it at 1440p? Will I face any problem? I have the 1080Ti and using nVidia's DSR which let me run games on 1440p on this 1080p monitor. But I read on the webz things gets blurry when having games set at 1080p and 1440p on 4K UHD monitor.

Currently I'm waiting for the Asus ROG Strix XG17 but knowing Asus, it may take longer than they said.

A note to add, I'm using Windows7 and not planning to upgrade to W10.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

1080p on 4k is not as bad as 1080p on 1440p but it still looks blurry. 

Its really difficult to describe. Not everything looks bad but many especially older games really don't like to be downscaled

2 minutes ago, starcoaster said:

if the most res you're going to use is 1440p, why get a 4k display in the first place? 

Because the monitor I'm looking/waiting for is 4K.

DAC/AMPs:

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

3 minutes ago, starcoaster said:

if the most res you're going to use is 1440p, why get a 4k display in the first place? 

I'm quite sure he means 1080p/1440p in games, 4k for desktop use 

4 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

A note to add, I'm using Windows7 and not planning to upgrade to W10.

You might want to... support for Windows7 is ending at the beginning of next year, January 14th. Although you may be OK at first, any exploits that come out will not be repaired and could put your PC at a pretty big risk.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsforbusiness/end-of-windows-7-support

~Air Cooling Advocate~

Just now, WereCat said:

1080p on 4k is not as bad as 1080p on 1440p but it still looks blurry. 

Its really difficult to describe. Not everything looks bad but many especially older games really don't like to be downscaled

Which older games? There are a hand few games I really like to play:

NFS Hot Pursuit 2010

GTA4

GTA5

GTA San Andreas

The mentioned games are the ones I play the most but they can be easily run on 4K, except GTA5.

DAC/AMPs:

4 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

NFS Hot Pursuit 2010

GTA4

GTA5

GTA San Andreas

The mentioned games are the ones I play the most but they can be easily run on 4K, except GTA5.

I'm sorry, I really can't give you a list. I tried few games and they all looked terrible while being downscaled. 

Most of the games that have the Resolution Scale option in the settings work good enough. 

Edit :

What graphics card do you have? 

If you worry about GTA:SA not running at native 4k, you should not go with 4k.

2 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

NFS Hot Pursuit 2010

GTA4

GTA5

GTA San Andreas

gta5 should play at 4k just fine at medium with a 1080ti.

I have a vega 56 and play at 4k with all my games at medum/low and they all play fine. 

5 minutes ago, Votivee said:

You might want to... support for Windows7 is ending at the beginning of next year, January 14th. Although you may be OK at first, any exploits that come out will not be repaired and could put your PC at a pretty big risk.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsforbusiness/end-of-windows-7-support

I know :/ However, due to Microsoft's fuck-ups I refuse to upgrade to W10 for now. One of the update seriously deleted my whole Documents folder and to make it even worse: that update also deleted the Document folder ON my external HDD.

6 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I'm quite sure he means 1080p/1440p in games, 4k for desktop use 

You're correct. I enjoy the very high pixeldensity so 4K for desktop use. And only 1440p in games or 4K, depending on the games but no more 1080p due to my GTX 1080Ti.

DAC/AMPs:

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

gta5 should play at 4k just fine at medium with a 1080ti.

I have a vega 56 and play at 4k with all my games at medum/low and they all play fine. 

I know the 1080Ti should be able to run GTA5 at 4K but I like eye-candy so high/ultra settings and 1440p :P

The Grass on Ultra is so lovely lol, not kidding.

DAC/AMPs:

1 minute ago, CTR640 said:

I know :/ However, due to Microsoft's fuck-ups I refuse to upgrade to W10 for now. One of the update seriously deleted my whole Documents folder and to make it even worse: that update also deleted the Document folder ON my external HDD.

This is why you have backups.

If you don't want to use windows 10, you better have a plan to switch to osx or linux or something else soon, cause even though you can use windows 7 for a while longer, game and app support is already starting to go away.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

This is why you have backups.

If you don't want to use windows 10, you better have a plan to switch to osx or linux or something else soon, cause even though you can use windows 7 for a while longer, game and app support is already starting to go away.

Thanks god I have the backups. Regarding the OS upgrade, I'll take care of it.

DAC/AMPs:

I ran gta v at 4k on a gtx 1080 for nearly 2 years at very high settings constant 60fps gta 4 is poorly optimised so i wouldnt be surprised if that ran bad but to be honest I dont know why you dont just get a 2k monitor it would be the perfect pair for your 1080ti

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 Motherboard: Strix x470F Ram: G.skill Trident Z RGB 16GB GPU: Powercolor RX5700XT Red Devil 8GB Cooler: Cooler Master ML240L RGB Case: NZXT H500i Storage: 500GB NVMe SSD 3TB Spinning Rust PSU: EVGA 650w B2

14 minutes ago, sallamby said:

I ran gta v at 4k on a gtx 1080 for nearly 2 years at very high settings constant 60fps gta 4 is poorly optimised so i wouldnt be surprised if that ran bad but to be honest I dont know why you dont just get a 2k monitor it would be the perfect pair for your 1080ti

My setup doesn't run GTAV very well at 4K on very high settings, maybe it's my i7-4770? GTA4 runs very well at 4K, I had no issues with GTA4 when I used my GTX780.

Monitors are very limited for my requirements. And I don't want big monitors too. I'm just in the very very minority :P

DAC/AMPs: