Google Stadia, Live Stream Wrap-Up

The Benjamins

I'd be interested if it came with youtube premium included no extra cost.

1 hour ago, The Benjamins said:

Is it ok if they do both?

Sure, but only if they can walk and chew gum at the same time.

If they start putting more effort into cloud gaming over traditional consoles i'll abandon them. 

52 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

Why are you so against it?

I like to own my games and i never want to be in a position where my games simply vanish because i don't have an internet connection, or a company shuts down support for a business model and my library just vanishes, that kind of thing.  Don't even get me started on Australian internet outside of major population centers.  

We aren’t in your country yet
You can still browse our products in any of the other regions.

Press F.

Not even all EU countries are supported, so I can expect to try Stadia out around 2028, right after you all have beta tested it for me, hue hue hue. 

:( 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

I'm looking forward to 2023 when they eventually kill this :) 

But this is interesting ... gaming as a service?! Goddamn everything's becoming subscriptions ... 

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

MacBook Pro 13" (2018) | ThinkPad x230 | iPad Air 2     

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~

So....is this going to live or will it be just another one of those Google projects that will be killed off after a couple of years? 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

so they plan to tier off higher resolutions to subscriptions only.

17 hours ago, PocketNerd said:

Remember folks, NEVER PRE-ORDER

Now we need to include "NEVER PAY FOR GAME STREAMING SERVICES".

This is worse, conceptually, than consoles are. In the long run it's going to be more expensive. Not to mention what it will do to the piracy scene.

Although I won't be surprised when the pirates figure out how to crack the game even through this crap.

4 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

So....is this going to live or will it be just another one of those Google projects that will be killed off after a couple of years? 

We can only hope it, along with other games streaming services, fail miserably.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

We can only hope it, along with other games streaming services, fail miserably.

Gamers are a pretty finicky bunch, all it'll take is for the trusted gaming type content creators to give it the thumbs down due to latency and artifacts and it'll spread through Reddit etc like wildfire, i just can't see anyone that's serious about gaming buying into this shit.  Having said all of that, look at how much money the mobile sector of gaming brings in and i don't know a single person who plays games seriously on their phone, the whole thing could be a huge financial success even with the purists sitting on the sidelines not spending a cent.  

Hope it dies.

The only streaming I'm willing to accept is in home streaming or streaming on the internet using my own hardware.

This kind of streaming gives too much power to corporations, and it ain't going to get better if you leave these bastards with all the power to control the end user's experience. Going to end up like throwing a lamb in a cage with an bunch of alligators and expect to find the lamb alive the day after.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I listened to the Giant Beastcast podcast, and they made a good point: The major problem with this right now, is that the rollout is too convoluted.

You can see this appealing to a new audience that does not want to buy a console or PC, but would dabble with games BUT:

- Access is only for people who buy the "founders edition" at launch. Others have to wait longer to get access to the service.

- The "basic" service (no monthly fee) does not come until 2020

- You NEED a chromecast right now to play, browser and app based access will come later.

- You still need to BUY most of the games, only some games are included with monthly fee. But it is not clear which games would be free.

All in all, they missed a great opportunity to do something like this:

- For let's say $15 a month, you can play any available game, any time, on any device. PERIOD.

Right now, I don't see this service becoming successful. Too many ifs and buts. Too many caveats. Too complicated.

32 minutes ago, maartendc said:

I listened to the Giant Beastcast podcast, and they made a good point: The major problem with this right now, is that the rollout is too convoluted.

You can see this appealing to a new audience that does not want to buy a console or PC, but would dabble with games BUT:

- Access is only for people who buy the "founders edition" at launch. Others have to wait longer to get access to the service.

- The "basic" service (no monthly fee) does not come until 2020

- You NEED a chromecast right now to play, browser and app based access will come later.

- You still need to BUY most of the games, only some games are included with monthly fee. But it is not clear which games would be free.

All in all, they missed a great opportunity to do something like this:

- For let's say $15 a month, you can play any available game, any time, on any device. PERIOD.

Right now, I don't see this service becoming successful. Too many ifs and buts. Too many caveats. Too complicated.

And there's still going to be the latency issues unless you're really close to a Google Datacenter. So the market will always be in highly populated areas or connection spaces with really, really low latency. Part of why South Korea and Tokyo should work wonders for this.

But the killer part: they don't have any exclusive games. That's what's going to kill them. They need all of the F2P games they can get and as many RPGs as they can get. The less games with shooting mechanics, the better. The problem is that it's a Vulkan-based Linux platform, which means you have 30 years of PC games that don't work on it. Thus, they'll have no back catalog, and will need to pay for games to be ported to the platform. (And operate generally in a mGPU configuration, since Vega 56s don't do 4K the best.)

Realistically, this is a way for Google to build out a GPGPU infrastructure and maybe have a way to displace the costs that go with it. They're never going to make money directly on this project.

23 hours ago, yian88 said:

This is going to be extremely successful if they can fix latency input lag, I can't fucking wait for it.

Can't wait to play games on my new galaxy tab s4 2k amoled maxed out.

I'll buy that controller in a fucking snap.

So many traditional PC console gamers hating on reddit and forums hahahahahahaha.

Traditional gaming is KO imo.

Yeah traditional gaming isn't going anywhere with this. I would imagine the game library will be limited compared to what you can get with your own hardware plus I highly doubt you can use any sort of mods on games. There is also the issue with internet needing to be good enough to support it and internet data caps also being an issue. And the final and biggest issue I see is the limited frame rate. 60 fps limit and competitive gaming doesn't mix at all even though you likely wouldn't want to use this system for competitive games to begin with because of latency issues. I am not saying this wont be successful I am just saying that this wont by any mean completely replace the need for having your own system. 

6 hours ago, Newenthusiast said:

Gamers are a pretty finicky bunch, all it'll take is for the trusted gaming type content creators to give it the thumbs down due to latency and artifacts and it'll spread through Reddit etc like wildfire, i just can't see anyone that's serious about gaming buying into this shit.  Having said all of that, look at how much money the mobile sector of gaming brings in and i don't know a single person who plays games seriously on their phone, the whole thing could be a huge financial success even with the purists sitting on the sidelines not spending a cent.  

I wouldn't think it would be too far fetched to for some people to use this along with having dedicated hardware kinda like how alot of people worth PCs also have consoles. 

OnLive 2.0!

I'm not interested in Cloud Gaming but I'm sure some out there are.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

7 hours ago, Newenthusiast said:

Right, but this is playing the SAME big budget games that consoles and PC's play, which require time investment, money investment, sitting down, learning the controls, etc. etc.

Phone games are popular because they are:

- Free (to start)

- Require no learning curve

- Quick to pick up for 2 minutes while you are waiting for the bus or on the toilet, etc. etc.

None of the things that make phone games popular apply to this service.

9 hours ago, Newenthusiast said:

I think we've overlooked one very serious problem.

The parents of the next/newest generation of gamers.

They will see this as cheaper, and buy it for their kids for that reason alone. Most of them won't know what latency is, or why this service is generally an all around bad idea.

The horror.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I think everyone here is missing the point. 

Full disclosure: I have great fiber to my apartment, and I have pre-ordered The Founders Edition. When google blows a load, I catch ever last drop.

This is going to revolutionize gaming. It's an inevitability. Music, Movies, and now games. For the CASUAL user this is going to get WAY more people to play games. Casual non-gamers might not notice the additional latency. 

The scenario casuals will be presented with:

1. They click a youtube video

2. Ad is an awesome trailer for a game

3. At the end of the ad, or next to the skip button is a "PLAY NOW" button.

4. They click play now, and are put exactly where the devs want them in that game.

Suddenly you can get distracted by instantly playing a game. 

With the push for Wifi 6, 5G, ISPs will eventually have to step their game up in terms of bandwith, even casuals are going to want faster wifi.

As for us, the hardcore players, one word: Demos. I would play plenty of game demos if I could just instantly be in. I'd trade a lil input lag for a 25gb demo

4 hours ago, DaltonM said:

I think everyone here is missing the point. 

Full disclosure: I have great fiber to my apartment, and I have pre-ordered The Founders Edition. When google blows a load, I catch ever last drop.

This is going to revolutionize gaming. It's an inevitability. Music, Movies, and now games. For the CASUAL user this is going to get WAY more people to play games. Casual non-gamers might not notice the additional latency. 

The scenario casuals will be presented with:

1. They click a youtube video

2. Ad is an awesome trailer for a game

3. At the end of the ad, or next to the skip button is a "PLAY NOW" button.

4. They click play now, and are put exactly where the devs want them in that game.

Suddenly you can get distracted by instantly playing a game. 

With the push for Wifi 6, 5G, ISPs will eventually have to step their game up in terms of bandwith, even casuals are going to want faster wifi.

As for us, the hardcore players, one word: Demos. I would play plenty of game demos if I could just instantly be in. I'd trade a lil input lag for a 25gb demo

The demo aspect of it is quite interesting, and something I didn't even consider. It would also be nice if some sort of agreement was made to allow streaming of some of the console exclusives, however I doubt it given Playstation's push into the streaming service. I know many PC gamers that would pony up for a subscription to play a few console exclusive titles. Whether or not they would continue to pay is a different story.

I understand the usual privacy concerns, however I don't quite understand the disdain people have for the concept of cloud gaming. It's no different than movie subscription services, and both are considered similar forms of entertainment. The aspect of having to pay a subscription AND buying a game might rub people the wrong way (and that I understand) however the pure concept of gaming in the cloud seems harmless to me. I had one of the original Nvidia Shield's and enjoyed the local streaming. So much so, that I even rented servers in an attempt to stream outside of my local network. This would be akin to that, but on a (hopefully) more polished scale.

While others are wishing to see this fail, I wouldn't mind seeing this pan out. If we are lucky, we may see this get bundled with other streaming services such as Youtube TV. Would be a great value overall to have both television and games streamed to your smart TV.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

It looks better than I initially expected, but still kinda a mess. Even in best conditions latency wil be there and quality of the stream with that bitrate I wonder will it look scuffed and all artifacts look in motion. Also, buying games still and all that, you don't hwve control what so ever of the environment. Be it personal, mods, configs etc. 

Really kinda like a DRM masked as a streaming service with no user control whatsoever. Companies dig that. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

i remember reading somewhere that the latency is terrible

• 6 months later...
On 6/7/2019 at 12:44 AM, sof006 said:

The only benefit I can see here is that you don't need to download to play. Just "stream" it. But thats literally the only benefit, and not one i'd see the point as i'd rather download the game and have it physically there to play at all times.

You don't need to buy a 100 Dollar PC or 500 for a Console. You just need to buy it once and your whole family can play it on PC, Mobile, TV. No updates. No Storage. Use all your existing Gear. No other Service can beat this.

On 1/3/2020 at 6:54 PM, Herfen said:

You don't need to buy a 100 Dollar PC or 500 for a Console. You just need to buy it once and your whole family can play it on PC, Mobile, TV. No updates. No Storage. Use all your existing Gear. No other Service can beat this.

My other gear is more reliable and doesn't require an internet connection at all times to work. Stadia is a service that can go down, always requires an internet connection (a reliable one), its expensive. Support for the platform is dismal. Its DOA. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15