Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spricer

i9 9900k overheating

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm running a i9 9900k on a gigabyte aorus z390 elite and cooling it with Noctua DH-15. While running AIDA stress test on core, cache, FPU and system memory I get 9% throttling, and temps around 90-100 celsius.

While playing battlefield 5 i get to 80 celsius and core voltage is at 1.45 witch I think is too high and the processor runs at 4,8GHz. Can I decrese voltage?

 

Edit: also the processor wont go above 4.8GHz even if at 60 celsius.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Spricer said:

I'm running a i9 9900k on a gigabyte aorus z390 elite and cooling it with Noctua DH-15. While running AIDA stress test on core, cache, FPU and system memory I get 9% throttling, and temps around 90-100 celsius.

While playing battlefield 5 i get to 80 celsius and core voltage is at 1.45 witch I think is too high and the processor runs at 4,8GHz. Can I decrese voltage?

 

What process did you use to overclock? That voltage seems pretty high to me.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, normpearii said:

What process did you use to overclock? That voltage seems pretty high to me.

 

All default. I never tried overclocking and when I did I had to reset BIOS becouse the computer wouldnt start.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the CPU OC'd?

For start you should go with Intel Turbo boost and multi core enhancement.

The rest on default.

 


CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Spricer said:

All default. I never tried overclocking and when I did I had to reset BIOS becouse the computer wouldnt start.

Also, I suggest try reseating the cooler. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Is the CPU OC'd?

For start you should go with Intel Turbo boost and multi core enhancement.

 The rest on default.

 

I use default settings in BIOS and I've read that gigabyte has a tendency to put more voltage that is needed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spricer said:

I use default settings in BIOS and I've read that gigabyte has a tendency to put more voltage that is needed.

set the voltage to 1.25 for start then.


CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
32 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

dissable any enhancing feature applied in the Gigabyte BIOS. should fix the issue. 

I disabled Enhanced MultiCore Performance and it got worse. 20% throttle on AIDA64

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Spricer said:

I disabled Enhanced MultiCore Performance and it got worse. 20% throttle on AIDA64

what was the sustained clockspeeds preciusly?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

what was the sustained clockspeeds preciusly?

 The max clock was 4,8GHz. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
49 minutes ago, Constantin said:

set the voltage to 1.25 for start then.

I put it at 1.25V and I am currently running AIDA64 stress test. The temps dont go above 75 but the core freq. dosent go above 4.7 GHz either. Is it becouse im running auto on frequency in bios? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Spricer said:

 The max clock was 4,8GHz. 

what was the sustained allcore clocks. i dont care about peaks

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
13 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

what was the sustained allcore clocks. i dont care about peaks

4.7

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Spricer said:

4.7

there is a setting in BIOS that removes TDP limits. i dont remember the name in Gigabyte BIOS, but it is a core enhancing feature. 

 

allcore sustained clockspeeds are 4.0 ghz. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
44 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

there is a setting in BIOS that removes TDP limits. i dont remember the name in Gigabyte BIOS, but it is a core enhancing feature. 

 

allcore sustained clockspeeds are 4.0 ghz. 

How will removing TDP limits help me? The heat will stay the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Spricer said:

How will removing TDP limits help me? The heat will stay the same.

no, the settings is by default off. meaning right now your CPU is applying more voltage than it needs to run itself overclocked. 

 

you are looking to turn that off. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 6/6/2019 at 8:56 PM, GoldenLag said:

no, the settings is by default off. meaning right now your CPU is applying more voltage than it needs to run itself overclocked. 

 

you are looking to turn that off. 

I can only set the values I can't disable it alltogether.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2019 at 6:45 PM, Spricer said:

I disabled Enhanced MultiCore Performance and it got worse. 20% throttle on AIDA64

yea it should work at a lower rate, still when you decrease high clock values during games you might find more profit then using that feature with a benchmark running.
still it is weird considering you have an +200w tdp cooler. it sounds like your system has an heat buildup wich it can't release in a good way.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×