Resolution and refresh rate

sakoki

Update: I've been told that my GPU might not support 4k 60 Hz at all, or at least not via HDMI. If anyone has experience with this card, please let me know!

Hello everyone, I recently purchased what is effectively a 4k monitor (though I believe it's technically a modified TV) to use with my PC. Unfortunately, I've had some issues with the resolution and the refresh rate. Essentially:

• when setting it to 4k, the refresh rate is capped at 30 Hz (rather than the 60 Hz it's capable of). I originally feared this was an issue with the device, but soon discovered that this cap was set by windows (I'm still using windows 7). Any options above 30 Hz are greyed out and cannot be selected.
  • when setting it to 1080p, the image is kinda "zoomed in", with the edges being invisible. This happens both when I duplicate the output of my 1080p monitor and when I set it to display its own image.

As you can imagine, not being able to fully utilize my monitor in either resolution is quite frustrating, so I'd be thankful for any ideas you might have.

Edit: The TV is connected to my GPU via HDMI

Edit 2: The GPU is an ASUS DirectCU II OC R9 290x

3 minutes ago, sakoki said:

when setting it to 4k, the refresh rate is capped at 30 Hz (rather than the 60 Hz it's capable of). I originally feared this was an issue with the device, but soon discovered that this cap was set by windows (I'm still using windows 7). Any options above 30 Hz are greyed out and cannot be selected.

How are you connecting to the TV/monitor? DisplayPort? HDMI? DVI?

4 minutes ago, sakoki said:

when setting it to 1080p, the image is kinda "zoomed in", with the edges being invisible. This happens both when I duplicate the output of my 1080p monitor and when I set it to display its own image.

Check your graphics card display control settings for Underscan/Overscan options. Should let you adjust a slider to correct for this.

Do you have the model number of the TV/Monitor?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

How are you connecting to the TV/monitor? DisplayPort? HDMI? DVI?

Check your graphics card display control settings for Underscan/Overscan options. Should let you adjust a slider to correct for this.

Do you have the model number of the TV/Monitor?

It's connected via HDMI. Unfortunately, the TV is made by a small Austrian brand, so I doubt a model number will be of any use to anyone here, but just in case, here it is:

https://nogis.at/produkt/nogis-one-55-2?v=1

Where would I find my GPU display control settings? I'm using an ASUS DirectCU II OC R9 290x

5 minutes ago, sakoki said:

Where would I find my GPU display control settings? I'm using an ASUS DirectCU II OC R9 290x

Right click on the desktop and open the AMD Catalyst Control Centre (or whatever it's called these days). It should be what you're using to select the resolution.

Try one of the other HDMI ports on the TV.
What graphics card are you using?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Hey. I think the Refresh rate is capped because it cannot handle 60hz. You can still try it. Even when windows has greyed it out. Here's how to do it.

Right click on your desktop > AMD Radeon Settings > Display > Create (Right of Customize Resolution) > Change the refresh rate to 60 > Save.

Your screen will go black for a few settings, if it is capable of doing it, you will have your PC working as normal. If it's not, it will go back to 30hz.

If it doesn't work you have to bruteforce your way to the max refresh rate of your screen. Keep increasing Refresh rate until it fails. I Overclocked my display from 60hz to 79hz. I know it's a very odd number but it works :)

Could you also tell us what GPU you're using?

I can see from the website you linked that your TV/Monitor should technically be capable of running 4k @60Hz and has HDMI 2.0, make sure the cable you are using is HDMI 2.0 compatible, some high grade HDMI 1.4 cables might be able to deliver a 2.0 signal, but the typical ones won't by able to carry the 60Hz signal.

3 minutes ago, Arttu89 said:

Could you also tell us what GPU you're using?

I can see from the website you linked that your TV/Monitor should technically be capable of running 4k @60Hz and has HDMI 2.0, make sure the cable you are using is HDMI 2.0 compatible, some high grade HDMI 1.4 cables might be able to deliver a 2.0 signal, but the typical ones won't by able to carry the 60Hz signal.

R9 290x if I read OP’s post correctly above 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

3 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

R9 290x if I read OP’s post correctly above 

You're right and I'm blind. ?

The R9 290 doesn't have a HDMI 2.0 interface as far as I'm aware, the OP would have to use an active adaptor from DP to HDMI 2.0 to get 4k@60Hz on that card.

1 hour ago, Arttu89 said:

You're right and I'm blind. ?

The R9 290 doesn't have a HDMI 2.0 interface as far as I'm aware, the OP would have to use an active adaptor from DP to HDMI 2.0 to get 4k@60Hz on that card.

I mean I know it’s an old card, so not sure if he can actually achieve properly what he wants 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

2 hours ago, Arttu89 said:

1 hour ago, Stormseeker9 said:

I mean I know it’s an old card, so not sure if he can actually achieve properly what he wants 

Thanks guys, that's really helpful (not being sarcastic!). If either of you know whether the other ports could support 60 Hz, or where I could find out, please let me know!

2 hours ago, sakoki said:

Thanks guys, that's really helpful (not being sarcastic!). If either of you know whether the other ports could support 60 Hz, or where I could find out, please let me know!

From a search on google, the Displayport on a R9 290 should be in the 1.2 spec and should be capable of supporting 4k@60Hz, so with the correct DP -> HDMI 2.0 adaptor and a good enough cable you should be able to reach your goal. The HDMI port on the card is only 1.4 spec so the max it can do is 4k@30Hz, that's why you were not able to squeeze anything more out of it.

That said, those DP to HDMI adaptors vary in quality so it's good to look around online for something that has some decent reviews, so you don't end up with something that was poorly put together or doesn't actually do what it says on the box.