HELP. My HP Proliant ML330 G6 wont post

Ezka

I picked a HP Proliant ML330 G6 for free (no ram or HDDs) awhile ago. I have recently acquired ram and hdds to put in it but its now displaying the red internal PC health led but all internal LEDs say that there is nothing wrong with it. Does anyone have a clue as to what this could be? It used to work but wouldnt let me install an OS so i out it away for a project at another time but bringing it out this time and now it wont post. 

Connect up the iLO port and login to it, there it will tell out what the exact problem is.

@leadeatersorry. the server does not boot and I havent been able to install an OS since i got it so I cant use iLO. I propably should have put that in my original post

4 hours ago, Ezka said:

@leadeatersorry. the server does not boot and I havent been able to install an OS since i got it so I cant use iLO. I propably should have put that in my original post

iLO is out of band and does not require the server to boot, it's purpose is for this. So long as the iLO port is configured for DHCP all you need to do is plug it in and it'll get a DHCP address then you just use a browser and go to the IP.

If you don't know the iLO password open the server and find the system maintenance dip switches, from memory turn on number 6 to disable iLO password requirement. Not sure on that but it's easy to find on google which one it is.

Im not sure what it was configured for and i tried iLO but i dont know the ip. Ill try to google iLO after work

1 hour ago, Ezka said:

Im not sure what it was configured for and i tried iLO but i dont know the ip. Ill try to google iLO after work

Log into your Router's WebUI, and look at the DHCP client list. This will show you every device on your network that has been assigned an IP Address. You'll find the iLO IP Address in there - you might have to try several different listed addresses before you find the right one, depending on how obvious each client is.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I have now logged into my iLO but nothing is showing as my server wont turn on at all.

Have a look in the iLO Log and possibly under diagnostics. iLO 2 is rather old so functionality is a bit limited to current versions but iLO has the hardware self test information when you plug in the power.

Oh and have a look for a case entry/open switch, a lot of tower servers will not power on with the side panel off.

Ok will look at iLO when i get home and will try booting it with the side on aswell

Ok will look at iLO when i get home and will try booting it with the side on aswell

*EDIT*

Still no power with side on and this is everything on logs and diagnostics

0148987D-70AD-4ADE-87C2-6C35E71646A5.jpeg

03757CD0-D901-4F52-9BFC-31FA80197AAD.jpeg

Starting to think its my PSU but I only have one other PSU and its currently in my main system and I dont want to pull that apart. I might have another one at a mates place  (I often offload excess parts to them and use their house as storage) but Im doubtful it will work in this system

I can confirm that it is not my PSU. I found another similar watage PSU and tried to fire it up with the same results

49 minutes ago, Ezka said:

I can confirm that it is not my PSU. I found another similar watage PSU and tried to fire it up with the same results

Anything in the IML log? Might have to get to the point where you have to strip everything out and rebuild the system and see if it works after that. Could be a lose fan cable or front panel connector or something else, HP server are pretty pick about making sure everything is OK before power on. Can be a bit annoying.

will have another look after work tomorrow. Too late to be rebuilding the pc tonight so will post pics once its back together

Pull all the RAM out and try to boot it, at the very least you should get some beeps. You should also be able to start the server from the iLO - give that a try (just to make sure the power button hasn't broken from an admin ragging in its previous days lol).

Does  not boot throigh iLO (tried that already) and have also tried without the ram to bo success. Tempted just to pull out the xeon and have it as a paper weight and throw the rest out to buy a new server

15 hours ago, Ezka said:

Does  not boot throigh iLO (tried that already) and have also tried without the ram to bo success. Tempted just to pull out the xeon and have it as a paper weight and throw the rest out to buy a new server

Does it have 1 or 2 processors? It can run with just one if it has 2.

Only 1 processor in it

Still nothing after a rebuild. Maybe my cpu is dead? No beeps even without the ram so im stumped. Im just gonna use the xeon as a paper weight.