Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Muhammad Osama

With What My Xeon X5670 Comparable to?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Sorry for my bad english

 

I am curious about my 6 cores 12 thread Xeon X5670 processor.. i wanna know what it is capable of and i also wanted to know that with what i5 or i7 processor it is comparable to in gaming performance..

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Muhammad Osama said:

what it is capable of

lighter games?

 

10 minutes ago, Muhammad Osama said:

i also wanted to know that with what i5 or i7 processor it is comparable to in gaming performance..

i7 900 series (1st gen Core) pretty much. These old stuff don't support AVX at all so it's impossible to reference any new CPU, performance difference can vary a ton.


"What's under the heatsink?" ep1, "Why it's not as good as it seem?" AMD fanboy edition out, episode 2 "Why my gaming board is a scam?" Intel fanboy edition coming soon (this is a link)

Hardware specs below

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.4?V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

looks like a ryzen 1600 spec wise

If it's overclocked to 4.4-4.6ghz yeah it's sorta like a Ryzen 1600. I sometimes get better performance in games than my buddy with a Ryzen 1700.

 

Stock though, in games probably something more like a FX 6300 or a really weak i7 970 or i7 930 with another 2c/4t

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
46 minutes ago, Slayer3032 said:

If it's overclocked to 4.4-4.6ghz yeah it's sorta like a Ryzen 1600. I sometimes get better performance in games than my buddy with a Ryzen 1700.

 

Stock though, in games probably something more like a FX 6300 or a really weak i7 970 or i7 930 with another 2c/4t

 

1 hour ago, Jurrunio said:

lighter games?

 

i7 900 series (1st gen Core) pretty much. These old stuff don't support AVX at all so it's impossible to reference any new CPU, performance difference can vary a ton.

ohh that means i don't have a good processor :( 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Muhammad Osama said:

 

ohh that means i don't have a good processor :( 

Ya... no idea what all the hype's about. If I want something cheap that can score high in Cinebench R15 I might as well buy a Phenom II 6 core or even Phenom II quad core that can be unlocked to a hexa core.


"What's under the heatsink?" ep1, "Why it's not as good as it seem?" AMD fanboy edition out, episode 2 "Why my gaming board is a scam?" Intel fanboy edition coming soon (this is a link)

Hardware specs below

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.4?V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Muhammad Osama said:

I am curious about my 6 cores 12 thread Xeon X5670 processor.. i wanna know what it is capable of and i also wanted to know that with what i5 or i7 processor it is comparable to in gaming performance..

Nothing because its a 10 year old Architecture.

So todays 4 Core are about as good as those...

 

And the Boards for it are rediculously expensive so that you hardly save much to modern 

 

1 hour ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

looks like a ryzen 1600 spec wise

Yeah, on Paper, but the 1600 has better "IPC", than even Sandy Bridge gets beaten with it...

 

So I'd say the 1600 is probably 25-50% faster at the same clock than the 5670, it really didn't age too well.


"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

Nothing because its a 10 year old Architecture.

So todays 4 Core are about as good as those...

 

And the Boards for it are rediculously expensive so that you hardly save much to modern 

 

Yeah, on Paper, but the 1600 has better "IPC", than even Sandy Bridge gets beaten with it...

 

So I'd say the 1600 is probably 25-50% faster at the same clock than the 5670, it really didn't age too well.

 

1 hour ago, Jurrunio said:

Ya... no idea what all the hype's about. If I want something cheap that can score high in Cinebench R15 I might as well buy a Phenom II 6 core or even Phenom II quad core that can be unlocked to a hexa core.

but can it provide 1080p 60 fps gaming for one year more?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Muhammad Osama said:

 

but can it provide 1080p 60 fps gaming for one year more?

It will depend on your game, assuming unlimited GPU firepower


"What's under the heatsink?" ep1, "Why it's not as good as it seem?" AMD fanboy edition out, episode 2 "Why my gaming board is a scam?" Intel fanboy edition coming soon (this is a link)

Hardware specs below

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.4?V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Muhammad Osama said:

but can it provide 1080p 60 fps gaming for one year more?

If you already have it, you should know how good it runs, don't you?

 

If its enough for you, its fine. YOU have to live with it.

I only have an L5640...


"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Muhammad Osama said:

 

but can it provide 1080p 60 fps gaming for one year more?

Well depends on the rest of your system really..

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Muhammad Osama said:

 

ohh that means i don't have a good processor :( 

Unless you're overclocklng it, not really. My X5660 does great in my home server, it's still better than like a stock i7 920/930 though provided you're playing games with good multithreading. It doesn't support AVX though so h265/x265 video encoding isn't great but it does a couple streams just fine and handles everything else I'd want to throw at it while having as much very cheap DDR3 I can stuff into it.

 

12 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

Ya... no idea what all the hype's about. If I want something cheap that can score high in Cinebench R15 I might as well buy a Phenom II 6 core or even Phenom II quad core that can be unlocked to a hexa core.

My X5675 absolutely demolishes the 1100T on an ROG Crosshair IV Extreme I just picked up recently, it's like 2130cb for the X5675@4.6ghz and 1335cb for the 1100T@4ghz in R20. The Phenom doesn't have SMT so it's not quite fair I guess, but that's much of what makes X58 better nowadays. I'd overclock the 1100T further but it already gets up to 63c on a Corsair H70 during p95 while my NH-D14 keeps my X5675 under 85c.

 

Bottom line is though, if it does everything you want to a level that is acceptable for you, at a price you are comfortable with. Then it's perfect. If it doesn't do what you want it to do, it's time to upgrade.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Slayer3032 said:

My X5675 absolutely demolishes the 1100T on an ROG Crosshair IV Extreme I just picked up recently,

Yes and what does the 1100T cost? WITH BOARD!
What does the X5675 cost?

Or rather what were the cost at the time...

 

3 hours ago, Slayer3032 said:

I'd overclock the 1100T further but it already gets up to 63c on a Corsair H70 during p95 while my NH-D14 keeps my X5675 under 85c.

ähm, you say already 63°C on AMD but keeps it under 85°C??

I'd say 63°C is lower than 85°C...

3 hours ago, Slayer3032 said:

Bottom line is though, if it does everything you want to a level that is acceptable for you, at a price you are comfortable with. Then it's perfect. If it doesn't do what you want it to do, it's time to upgrade.

Yes

but buying it new is not recommended except for collectors.

For daily use a new Ryzen System makes more sense.


"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Link to post
Share on other sites

My 4.5ghz x5675 does well enough with a 1080ti and 3440x1440 resolution to keep me entertained.

 

Numerically it is towards the low-middle tier of CPUs. I have had the motherboard since 2010, so for me it was a quick and cost effective upgrade, but market prices for boards are ridiculous.

 

I'm buying a Zen2 part most likely. It's time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes and what does the 1100T cost? WITH BOARD!
What does the X5675 cost?

Or rather what were the cost at the time...

 

ähm, you say already 63°C on AMD but keeps it under 85°C??

I'd say 63°C is lower than 85°C...

Yes

but buying it new is not recommended except for collectors.

For daily use a new Ryzen System makes more sense.

The 1100T was free from an Alienware I got from a buddy years back that he got for free. Everything else with 8gb of G.Skill Ripjaws, the Crosshair IV Extreme, Phenom II 965, a like new Rosewill Hive 750w, two not crossfired HD6870's and the Corsair H70 was $40 from a thrift store. In a case that had tape in it to prevent the non-standard, not quite E-ATX board from shorting out along with a hacksawed drive bay to clear sata cables. On top, half of the 5 or 6 fans were dead and I considered only one to even be usable without a wobble or making horrible noises. Usually AMD stuff goes for top dollar though on the used market since it can use dirt cheap ECC Unbuffered DDR3 and compatibility with nearly anything that fits in the socket are AMD's strong points. New FX-8350's are also still available for worthwhile prices and are unofficially supported in many non-AM3+ boards.

 

As far as MSRP's, a i7 970 was like $900 and the Phenom X6's were like $300. My GA-X58A-UD5 I think I paid $300 for, and the Crosshair IV Extreme was a $300 board also. Back then the real battle would have been Nehalem 4c/8t vs Thuban 6c/6t, both of which are actually really competitive provided you didn't lose the silicon lottery like I did on my i7-930.

 

You're not supposed to run Phenoms hot, it would probably die if you ran it anything near as warm as I have ran X58 hardware at upto 100c(on accident or stock cooler). 65c is the advised max temps for Phenoms, especially the higher power draw ones. You're going to need a high end cooler to get the performance out Phenom X6's. I hit like 4.3ghz on my old 955 with a trash 4 phase Gigabyte board and did it on the stock BE cooler after some lapping of both just for fun, sure it hit 72c but that hardware was free. It still struggled in some games since it barely broke 430cb in R15, which my i7 930 managed like mid-high 500's. Although it wasn't too bad after it got my old R9 280. Phenoms also don't support the newer SSE instructions and there's a ton of games which don't work because the devs don't know about this, nor care since I think even the Q6600 supported them and that's even older.. Any game with EAC is out as well.

 

He didn't ask if he should buy Ryzen, no one mentioned buying new parts or new old stock parts. He asked what more conventional hardware is it comparable to and if it will do 1080p60 which it will absolutely do in less stressful games provided that it's given a more modern gpu than something from the era it was originally from.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

Ya... no idea what all the hype's about. If I want something cheap that can score high in Cinebench R15 I might as well buy a Phenom II 6 core or even Phenom II quad core that can be unlocked to a hexa core.

Try to get a score like this with a Phenom II. Even AMD FX 8350 or 9590 would need a really high clock speed to beat my X5670.

 

2018-09-12_01-04-47.png


Intel Xeon X5670 @ 4.44GHz 6c/12t, Asus P6X58D-E, 24GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 960 Turbo OC, 250GB Samsung SSD, 4TB and 2x 2TB HDD, Fractal Design Define R5

PC 2: Intel Xeon X5677 @ 3.47GHz, HP 0B4Ch (X58), 12GB DDR3 1333MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 660 DC2, 240GB SSD, 1TB HDD

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T440p, Intel Core i7-4800MQ, 12GB DDR3 1600MHz , NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M, 250GB Samsung SSD, 14" 1920x1080 IPS

Phone: Huawei Honor 9 64GB Watch: Motorola Moto 360 1st Gen.

General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion

Some other PC's:

Spoiler

PC 3: Intel Xeon W3550 @ 3.07GHz, HP (X58), 8gb DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (GPU: 1050MHz MEM: 1250MHz), 120gb SSD, 2tb, 1tb and 500gb HDD

PC 4: Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.8GHz, Asus P5KC, 8gb DDR2, NVIDIA GeForce GT 430, 32gb SSD and 500gb HDD

HTPC: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0GHz, HP DC7900SFF, 8gb DDR2 800MHz, Asus Radeon HD 6570, 4tb HDD

WinXP PC: Intel Core2 Duo E6300 @ 2.33GHz, Asus P5B, 2gb DDR2 667MHz, NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT, 32gb SSD and 80gb HDD

RetroPC: Intel Pentium 4 HT @ 3.0GHz, Gigabyte GA-8SGXLFS, 2gb DDR1, ATi Radeon 9800 Pro, 2x 40gb HDD

My first PC: Intel Celeron 333MHz, Diamond Micronics C400, 384mb RAM, Diamond Viper V550 (NVIDIA Riva TNT), 6gb and 8gb HDD

Server: 2x Intel Xeon E5420, Dell PowerEdge 2950, 32gb DDR2, ATI ES1000, 4x 146gb SAS

Dual Opteron PC: 2x AMD Opteron 2218, HP XW9400, 12gb DDR2, ATI Radeon 3650, 500gb HDD

Core2 Duo PC: Intel Core2 Duo E8400, HP DC7800, 4gb DDR2, NVIDIA Quadro FX1700, 1tb and 80gb HDD

Athlon XP PC: AMD Athlon XP 2400+, MSI something, 1,5gb DDR1, ATI Radeon 9200, 40gb HDD

Thinkpad: Intel Core2 Duo T7200, Lenovo Thinkpad T60, 4gb DDR2, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400, 1tb HDD

Pentium 3 PC: Intel Pentium 3 866MHz, Asus CUSL2-C, 512mb RAM, 3DFX VooDoo 3 2000 AGP

Laptop: Dell Latitude E6430, Intel Core i5-3210M, 6gb DDR3 1600MHz , Intel HD 4000, 250gb Samsung SSD 860 EVO, 1TB WD Blue HDD

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Pasi123 said:

Try to get a score like this with a Phenom II. Even AMD FX 8350 or 9590 would need a really high clock speed to beat my X5670.

Nobody cares about either of those.

But you have to compare those with other systems as well, such as Ryzen 5/1600 wich is available at under 115€ right now, because the LGA1366 Boards are rediculously expensive. 150€+ for a Standard mid range one for example.


And thus, looking at the Ryzen 1600 and 1600X makes sense.

 

And what do they get at Default:

1183 (@3,6GHz, DDR4-3200) and 1245 for the 1600X (with DDR4-2933)

 

And those Plattforms, with an entry level Board, aren't even more expensive and you get it new, WITH WARRANTY!

 

The X5670 doesn't make too much sense today, it did a couple of years ago when it was a cheap 6 Core CPU (with SMT), today it doesn't.


"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slayer3032 said:

You're not supposed to run Phenoms hot,

And where is it measured, what does the Temperature mean?!
Often its some bullshit tCASE Spec that nobody here can actually measure...

1 hour ago, Slayer3032 said:

it would probably die if you ran it anything near as warm as I have ran X58 hardware at upto 100c(on accident or stock cooler).

Do you have actual Proof or is that just speculation on your part?!

1 hour ago, Slayer3032 said:

65c is the advised max temps for Phenoms, especially the higher power draw ones.

You have the Tec Spec to how to measure the Temperature or what it actually means??

Where and how to measure??

Here the Spec from Intel:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005597/processors.html

 

Quote
  • Tcase: Temperature measurement using a thermocouple embedded in the center of the heat spreader

AMD CPUs are way heavier than Intel and also have a far beefier Copper Heatsink on the CPU as well.

Without knowing what and how AMD did specify it, its a useless measure.

1 hour ago, Slayer3032 said:

You're going to need a high end cooler to get the performance out Phenom X6's.

No, because in general they don't clock too well.

1 hour ago, Slayer3032 said:

Phenoms also don't support the newer SSE instructions and there's a ton of games which don't work because the devs don't know about this, nor care since I think even the Q6600 supported them and that's even older.. Any game with EAC is out as well.

Back in the day, nobody would care about a 5 Year old Processor, let alone a 10 Year old one...

And that you still can use 10 Year old CPUs show that there was a standstill for the last 10 years with only little improvement each generations.

 

Back in the day, the 15-20% improvement from the last generation was common, even 50-100%, depending on the use case and the CPU.

 

The differences were so enormous that CPU-Old needed almost than double the frequency to somewhat compete with the next generation.

Example:
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/80486/AMD-AMD-X5-133ADW (Am5x86-P75).html

 

1 hour ago, Slayer3032 said:

He didn't ask if he should buy Ryzen, no one mentioned buying new parts or new old stock parts.

Why so salty??
You should always keep the price in mind and look what new stuff cost.

And compare the old price with the new Price.

 

But 150€ for a 10 Year old, mostly gone, Motherboard is just rediculous.

Even the ~50€ CPU doesn't help much.

 

Back in the day that was the difference between 80386SX/16 and a 550MHz K6-2 or 450MHz Pentium 2.

 

Or take the 79-89-99-2009 timeframe:

79: Intel 8088, 5MHz (though cost down 8086 wich was released a year prior -> 8bit Bus vs. 16bit on the 8086) and also the legendary Motorola 68000.

89: 80486-25MHz (DX)

99: Pentium 3 up to 700MHz, Coppermine, Athlon (IIRC up to 750 or 800MHz in that year)

09: Phenom 2, Core i7-960 (both top at around 3,2GHz or so)

19: Ryzen 3000 series, Intel i9-9900K and some HEDT Server Parts with 28-32 Cores, later 64.

 

1 hour ago, Slayer3032 said:

He asked what more conventional hardware is it comparable to and if it will do 1080p60 which it will absolutely do in less stressful games provided that it's given a more modern gpu than something from the era it was originally from.

1. We do not know if he has it or intends to buy. That is an important piece of Information

2. Its a 10 Year old CPU, that it can still be used for something is amazing

3. It won't last for too long and only he knows if he will be happy with whatever it does.


"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pasi123 said:

Try to get a score like this with a Phenom II. Even AMD FX 8350 or 9590 would need a really high clock speed to beat my X5670.

I wont call your setup cheap. Not even when compared to FX 8 core which has AVX for other workloads. Working AM3+ boards are easy to find and affordable, can't say the same to X58. Also you can squeeze down cost on AMD more by using 4bit DDR3 sticks


"What's under the heatsink?" ep1, "Why it's not as good as it seem?" AMD fanboy edition out, episode 2 "Why my gaming board is a scam?" Intel fanboy edition coming soon (this is a link)

Hardware specs below

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.4?V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

I wont call your setup cheap. Not even when compared to FX 8 core which has AVX for other workloads.

True, FX 8 Cores should be able to be gotten for 200-250€ with a decent quality Board - with everything you need, meaning Metal Shroud, PSU, Harddrive and so on.

CPU was sold off for ~50€ or so a couple of weeks ago in Germany...

56 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Working AM3+ boards are easy to find and affordable, can't say the same to X58. Also you can squeeze down cost on AMD more by using 4bit DDR3 sticks

Yeah, mostly because Am3+ was a consumer Plattform with Boards from 50-250€ (or more), while X58 was high end with Boards starting at around 150€ if you're lucky with many in the 200€ range.

With existing designs that were "just" updated for the new specification.

 

So its a bit unfair to compare 100€ COmponents (NEW) with 300-900€ ones...


"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

So its a bit unfair to compare 100€ COmponents (NEW) with 300-900€ ones... 

To be fait Westmere EP did come way before Bulldozer... Though it's 2019, both old and outdated in many ways


"What's under the heatsink?" ep1, "Why it's not as good as it seem?" AMD fanboy edition out, episode 2 "Why my gaming board is a scam?" Intel fanboy edition coming soon (this is a link)

Hardware specs below

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.4?V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
19 hours ago, Slayer3032 said:

The 1100T was free from an Alienware I got from a buddy years back that he got for free. Everything else with 8gb of G.Skill Ripjaws, the Crosshair IV Extreme, Phenom II 965, a like new Rosewill Hive 750w, two not crossfired HD6870's and the Corsair H70 was $40 from a thrift store. In a case that had tape in it to prevent the non-standard, not quite E-ATX board from shorting out along with a hacksawed drive bay to clear sata cables. On top, half of the 5 or 6 fans were dead and I considered only one to even be usable without a wobble or making horrible noises. Usually AMD stuff goes for top dollar though on the used market since it can use dirt cheap ECC Unbuffered DDR3 and compatibility with nearly anything that fits in the socket are AMD's strong points. New FX-8350's are also still available for worthwhile prices and are unofficially supported in many non-AM3+ boards.

 

As far as MSRP's, a i7 970 was like $900 and the Phenom X6's were like $300. My GA-X58A-UD5 I think I paid $300 for, and the Crosshair IV Extreme was a $300 board also. Back then the real battle would have been Nehalem 4c/8t vs Thuban 6c/6t, both of which are actually really competitive provided you didn't lose the silicon lottery like I did on my i7-930.

 

You're not supposed to run Phenoms hot, it would probably die if you ran it anything near as warm as I have ran X58 hardware at upto 100c(on accident or stock cooler). 65c is the advised max temps for Phenoms, especially the higher power draw ones. You're going to need a high end cooler to get the performance out Phenom X6's. I hit like 4.3ghz on my old 955 with a trash 4 phase Gigabyte board and did it on the stock BE cooler after some lapping of both just for fun, sure it hit 72c but that hardware was free. It still struggled in some games since it barely broke 430cb in R15, which my i7 930 managed like mid-high 500's. Although it wasn't too bad after it got my old R9 280. Phenoms also don't support the newer SSE instructions and there's a ton of games which don't work because the devs don't know about this, nor care since I think even the Q6600 supported them and that's even older.. Any game with EAC is out as well.

 

He didn't ask if he should buy Ryzen, no one mentioned buying new parts or new old stock parts. He asked what more conventional hardware is it comparable to and if it will do 1080p60 which it will absolutely do in less stressful games provided that it's given a more modern gpu than something from the era it was originally from.

 

17 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

And where is it measured, what does the Temperature mean?!
Often its some bullshit tCASE Spec that nobody here can actually measure...

Do you have actual Proof or is that just speculation on your part?!

You have the Tec Spec to how to measure the Temperature or what it actually means??

Where and how to measure??

Here the Spec from Intel:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005597/processors.html

 

AMD CPUs are way heavier than Intel and also have a far beefier Copper Heatsink on the CPU as well.

Without knowing what and how AMD did specify it, its a useless measure.

No, because in general they don't clock too well.

Back in the day, nobody would care about a 5 Year old Processor, let alone a 10 Year old one...

And that you still can use 10 Year old CPUs show that there was a standstill for the last 10 years with only little improvement each generations.

 

Back in the day, the 15-20% improvement from the last generation was common, even 50-100%, depending on the use case and the CPU.

 

The differences were so enormous that CPU-Old needed almost than double the frequency to somewhat compete with the next generation.

Example:
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/80486/AMD-AMD-X5-133ADW (Am5x86-P75).html

 

Why so salty??
You should always keep the price in mind and look what new stuff cost.

And compare the old price with the new Price.

 

But 150€ for a 10 Year old, mostly gone, Motherboard is just rediculous.

Even the ~50€ CPU doesn't help much.

 

Back in the day that was the difference between 80386SX/16 and a 550MHz K6-2 or 450MHz Pentium 2.

 

Or take the 79-89-99-2009 timeframe:

79: Intel 8088, 5MHz (though cost down 8086 wich was released a year prior -> 8bit Bus vs. 16bit on the 8086) and also the legendary Motorola 68000.

89: 80486-25MHz (DX)

99: Pentium 3 up to 700MHz, Coppermine, Athlon (IIRC up to 750 or 800MHz in that year)

09: Phenom 2, Core i7-960 (both top at around 3,2GHz or so)

19: Ryzen 3000 series, Intel i9-9900K and some HEDT Server Parts with 28-32 Cores, later 64.

 

1. We do not know if he has it or intends to buy. That is an important piece of Information

2. Its a 10 Year old CPU, that it can still be used for something is amazing

3. It won't last for too long and only he knows if he will be happy with whatever it does.

I am really sorry for providing an incomplete information.. i do have a x5670 with a dell precision t3500 .. I can't overclock it because my mobo won't allow it.. and i have paired it with an r9 380 4 gb.. and the main purpose of my pc is to game at 1080p 60 fps and stream as well.. i buy my pc because i was getting it for 60$ with 8 gb 1600 mhz ram(without gpu) and i spend 110$ on my r9 380.. and as long as i determined in 1 or 2 games like apex legend and just cause i some time gets a frame drops below 60 because of my gpu which struggles in these games.. but even though i am not saying it was unplayable mostly my fps are higher then 60.. i am just asking that is it worth for the price i gave? And should I'll be okay for an year by only upgrading my gpu?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The thread title was "With What My Xeon X5670 Comparable to?" so I felt it was heavily implied after he said "I am curious about my 6 cores 12 thread Xeon X5670 processor.." that he already owned it lol.

 

I'm really just confused why everyone wants to push Ryzen down anyone's throat at any opportunity. Someone buying/using a X5670 likely doesn't have access to new parts, doesn't have the budget for new parts, and/or has access to cheap used parts. If you're happy with what you have and it does what you want there's absolutely no reason to drop hundreds of dollars on brand new hardware.

 

Yeah tcase is absolutely useless to anyone on the consumer end of things, I'm definitely not talking about tcase. Deneb/Thuban have a huge warning like everywhere that you shouldn't exceed 65c. AMD's spec is 62c for most Phenom II cpus, there's a chart for max temps against TDP somewhere but I can't find it right now. AMD recommends either Overdrive or Core Temp for reading the temps. I use Core Temp and OpenHardwareMonitor of which the later, on many boards I've found to be better supported while reading the same, but I always use both on AMD stuff just to make sure everything looks right. Just go google "Phenom temp limit" or something, AMD's official resource links are all broken but there's thousands of forum posts and reviewers saying the same thing. In comparison Intel stuff is most often designed to hit 100c and throttle which is common on their junk stock coolers. I did just read that Phenoms will shut off if they reach 90c, so I guess it couldn't ever hit 100c like my X58 stuff has anyways.

 

I really wasn't trying to go for an AMD vs Intel thing, both are great they just offer different options from each other. All hardware can be the greatest thing ever if you get it for good enough of a deal. I'd never suggest anyone outside of people who are enthusiasts to run out and buy X58 hardware. Unless it's a good deal of course and/or would work well for their use case. Deals are everywhere if you look hard and long enough and it all just matters what you need the hardware to do and if it fills that need for a better price than other alternatives.

 

57 minutes ago, Muhammad Osama said:

 

I am really sorry for providing an incomplete information.. i do have a x5670 with a dell precision t3500 .. I can't overclock it because my mobo won't allow it.. and i have paired it with an r9 380 4 gb.. and the main purpose of my pc is to game at 1080p 60 fps and stream as well.. i buy my pc because i was getting it for 60$ with 8 gb 1600 mhz ram(without gpu) and i spend 110$ on my r9 380.. and as long as i determined in 1 or 2 games like apex legend and just cause i some time gets a frame drops below 60 because of my gpu which struggles in these games.. but even though i am not saying it was unplayable mostly my fps are higher then 60.. i am just asking that is it worth for the price i gave? And should I'll be okay for an year by only upgrading my gpu?

8gb of ram, do you have a triple channel motherboard(6 slots) or one of the older dual channel(4 slots) ones? I would try to get another stick of DDR3 if you can but only if it's cost effective. You can also use ECC Unbuffered memory which can often be found for really cheap, but I wouldn't suggest to mix across channels like that but only do like two different kits of 3 sticks. Look for something like PC3-10600U/PC3-10600E(12800 for 1600mhz), the U and E should denote ECC Unbuffered specifically. I was able to find 3x2gb for $18 shipped, sometimes locally you can find them for like $5 each but that all depends on your local market.

 

Yeah, Apex Legends is built on the source engine which has hilariously bad multithreading, it has been significantly improved from the old source engine versions over the years though. The Titanfall branch is heavily modified but it's still Source. The R9 380 isn't a bad card and if you paid that much for it recently, you might have overpaid for it since a new RX 570 is worth about that, at least in the US. If your prime concern is gaming, you could try picking up a faster Westmere quad core. X5687's are about the same price as a X5675 and you can get them on Aliexpress. Don't expect significant performance gains but it should help a little with stuttering and fps drops.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Intel-Xeon-Processor-X5687-Quad-Core-LGA1366-Desktop-CPU-100-working-properly-Desktop-Processor/32801935872.html

 

You could try looking for a used RX480/RX570/GTX970 but you'll have to be very careful to check benchmarks against any other cards you look at and gauge their value to performance. You're probably going to be looking at an overall upgrade, Haswell/4th gen Intel stuff has got fairly cheap, can use the DDR3 you already have and if you get an i7 would be an all around upgrade. Used/New Ryzen is also of course really good along with some used Skylake stuff really coming down in price. I would suggest to look for cpus with more than 4 threads though, so try to avoid any i5's if you possibly can. Going forward games are only going to use more and more threads and there's a lot of games on even current gen cpus which will bottleneck simply because they don't have enough threads for the game and will experience stuttering, ect.

 

Your build was a pretty good deal though it sounds like. It's going to be pretty rough to beat without getting near to the price of new parts unless you can find a good deal on something.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Muhammad Osama said:

I am really sorry for providing an incomplete information.. i do have a x5670 with a dell precision t3500 ..

Don't worry, you didn't think about it.

But with all those Westmere Hype Threads, its better to make sure that you own it and not plan to buy one.

2 minutes ago, Muhammad Osama said:

I can't overclock it because my mobo won't allow it.. and i have paired it with an r9 380 4 gb.. and the main purpose of my pc is to game at 1080p 60 fps and stream as well..

Yeah, that's often the case with Prebuilt systems, that you have no way to overclock. That's not what they are made for....

GPU might be a bit on the low end though...

2 minutes ago, Muhammad Osama said:

i buy my pc because i was getting it for 60$ with 8 gb 1600 mhz ram(without gpu) and i spend 110$ on my r9 380..

That's not a bad price, not bad at all.

And what it should cost.

Problem is: a "normal" Consumer Motherboard cost about as much as both of those combined. Only the Board.

2 minutes ago, Muhammad Osama said:

i am just asking that is it worth for the price i gave? And should I'll be okay for an year by only upgrading my gpu?

Yeah, the price is more than fair for such an old machine.

And you should be OK for a year or so, to save up for a better machine.


"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×