Slow write speed on NVMe SSD

Go to solution Solved by Biggerboot,

I'm guessing when you first ran the benchmark it was hitting the slc cache, but now that cache is filled up.

Basically the drive gets slower if you fill it up, with your most recently accessed files residing in the slc for quicker access.  That's why its cheaper.

I have an Adata SX8000NP 256gb NVMe drive I got fairly cheaply nearly a year ago, when I got it and installed a fresh install of Windows and was getting about 2100 MB/s read and 1100MB/s write. The other day I tested it again and the read speeds were fine around 1900MB/s however the writes are under 200MB/s. Also Crystal Disk Info and Adata's own toolbox show the drive to be in great health as well. (pic of HD Tune and Crystal disk mark below)

849858069_Annotation2019-06-05134601.jpg.b71beec0249641f380244e91d45aee62.jpg

I have an MSI X370 Gaming Carbon pro on the latest BIOS with a Ryzen 1700 @ 3.85GHz and 16GB of DDR4 @ 3000, and I have put the drive in the top M.2 slot which is PCIe 3.0 x4 and I have the storage settings set to AHCI. 

Is there anything that is slowing down the drive to this extent, such as outdated firmware on the SSD or would it more likely to be windows restricting it for some reason?

Thanks in advance!

| Ryzen 7 3700x | 16GB Vengance @ 3200 | MSI GTX 1070Ti Gaming | 

| ADATA XPG SX8000NP 256GB Nvme SSD + WD Blue 500GB SSD | 4TB WD Blue |

| Corsair RM650x |        

| NZXT H200 White |

think you got the title wrong here dude. i can't think of anything that could cause these speed issues. Are you seeing this in real world or just in benchmark?

Just now, UrbanFreestyle said:

think you got the title wrong here dude. i can't think of anything that could cause these speed issues. Are you seeing this in real world or just in benchmark?

Yeah, I just fixed the title ? and yes, I am seeing this in real world copying to the drive as it maxes out around 195-180MB/s

| Corsair RM650x |        

| NZXT H200 White |

I'm guessing when you first ran the benchmark it was hitting the slc cache, but now that cache is filled up.

Basically the drive gets slower if you fill it up, with your most recently accessed files residing in the slc for quicker access.  That's why its cheaper.

1 minute ago, Biggerboot said:

Ahh I see, I forgot about that, I still would like to think that the nand on the ssd would be faster than that, but the drive was cheap so I can't really complain at this point.

| Corsair RM650x |        

| NZXT H200 White |

1 minute ago, Mattboxer2000 said:

Ahh I see, I forgot about that, I still would like to think that the nand on the ssd would be faster than that, but the drive was cheap so I can't really complain at this point.

For most real-world use it's not that big of a deal, but it's something to keep in mind when you look at rated speeds for a drive.  

I got similar problem and get the ssd to rma yesterday. only write speed being limited... sad expeience