Should I limit data usage even tho I pay for unlimited plan?

Go to solution Solved by Donut417,
14 hours ago, Mr.Stork said:

Idk, should I be limiting the data usage even tho I pay for an unlimited plan? Help?

Not sure about India, but here in the US "Unlimited" doesnt mean "Unlimited". There is always a limit. Ive heard for Verizon FIOS, its something like 10 TB, anything more than that, then they want you on a business connection. You should check the laws of your country, because that can affect where or not you can fight back if they give you any shit. 

But 800 Gigs aint shit. I use that about every month with Comcast. There are people who use TB's of data a month. Your ISP needs to up its game. 

I have an Unlimited plan of 60 Mbps (7.5 MB/s) which is the lowest plan provided by the provider: https://imgur.com/a/nN89oEA (Chart Image). Btw, I live in Kolkata, India so it's Rupees rather than Dollar. Anyway, the previous month (May) I had my vacation and I had nothing to much to do, so I watched, actually downloaded many anime movies and games. All 1080p and big games, also some were corrupted and had a virus so I had to re-download and install the games. So, that rounded up to be like 800 Gbs of Internet used (In Unlimited Plan). My family also use this internet.

A few days ago, someone from the internet provider branch came to my house post to do some work for others maybe, he also came to my house to check the internet was working, but he also told me not to watch 4k videos in my 1080p monitor. Which I don't most of the time, Now, my family suspects he came here to indirectly complain about the data usage.

Idk, should I be limiting the data usage even tho I pay for an unlimited plan? Help?

I find I very strange that your internet provider send someone to talk to you in person, I would assume that if you pay for unlimited data you don't have to worry about this, right?

I would first start by recommending that you check the terms of your plan, and double check that their are no hidden data caps or slow-downs in your plan, if their are make the appropriate adjustments, otherwise personally, I would not worry about it. P.S. watch 4K or QHD YouTube videos on my 900P monitor as YT has serious compression algorithms that cut down on the picture quality, which is more aggressive at lower resolutions, so with the higher bitrates of 4K you run into fewer artifacts and better picture quality, despite the fact that you are not getting all those 4K pixels.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

They don't limit your speed, they don't make you pay more money, only some guy suggested not watching 4k streams? Probably they have high usage issues, but can't force you to limit yourself, so their workers are giving 'good advice', which it would be, if streams weren't so terribly compressed.

I think this is the case where data bandwidth is shared between you & your neighbors. and they complain about slow internet , something like that

52 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

I think this is the case where data bandwidth is shared between you & your neighbors. and they complain about slow internet , something like that

Might be so, Idk

1 hour ago, VredinLad said:

I find I very strange that your internet provider send someone to talk to you in person, I would assume that if you pay for unlimited data you don't have to worry about this, right?

The man came here to work outside my house for other people, so he had to switch off the internet for few mins, so he came to check if it was running and then he said that to me.

1 hour ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

I would first start by recommending that you check the terms of your plan, and double check that their are no hidden data caps or slow-downs in your plan, if their are make the appropriate adjustments, otherwise personally, I would not worry about it. P.S. watch 4K or QHD YouTube videos on my 900P monitor as YT has serious compression algorithms that cut down on the picture quality, which is more aggressive at lower resolutions, so with the higher bitrates of 4K you run into fewer artifacts and better picture quality, despite the fact that you are not getting all those 4K pixels.

So that's true? 4k videos look better than 1080p videos even in 1080p monitors?

17 minutes ago, Mr.Stork said:

Take a photo from a phone, at 100% resolution it's blurry and noisy, but if you resize it to 50%, what's left should be sharp. Even if the video was originally in perfect quality 4k, compression makes it loose a lot of detail. Also, look what 4:2:0 subsampling means.

24 minutes ago, Mr.Stork said:

I can confirm that for my 1600x900 laptop. 720p Youtube looks pretty bad, switching to 1080p and image looks much sharper. I don't think 4K would make much sense tho.

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I can confirm that for my 1600x900 laptop. 720p Youtube looks pretty bad, switching to 1080p and image looks much sharper. I don't think 4K would make much sense tho.

Youtube's 4K videos have a higher bitrate, so there is less compression blocking in scenes with a lot of motion.

14 hours ago, Mr.Stork said:

Not sure about India, but here in the US "Unlimited" doesnt mean "Unlimited". There is always a limit. Ive heard for Verizon FIOS, its something like 10 TB, anything more than that, then they want you on a business connection. You should check the laws of your country, because that can affect where or not you can fight back if they give you any shit. 

But 800 Gigs aint shit. I use that about every month with Comcast. There are people who use TB's of data a month. Your ISP needs to up its game. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

You should check with your network provider if your plan is unlimited or there are some hidden charges. My experience was bad with my network providers. I bought a post-paid plan with the monthly limit but used more data then the limited plan data and they have charged me a lot for the same. I was expecting they will remind me that I have exhausted monthly data limit but they haven't informed related to this.

You can contact professionals for the help, there are many consultants there to help you with choosing the right network. The best thing that happened to me that I got the consultation at my doorstep by professionals. You can look for at home network support consultants.

I don't know if there was something lost in translation but I honestly do not see his comment as a big deal.  If he didn't say directly you are using too much data and your plan is ligitimately unlimited, why worry?

It was odd of him to suggest you don't watch 4K videos but honestly, its none of his business.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7