Loss of connection when gaming or streaming

brianbs

Hey all! First post here so hopefully I do everything right.

Anyway, this issue has been ongoing for years now, and its weird because sometimes it'll happen quite often, and other times It doesn't happen for months at a time.

To sum up the issue:

Anytime I'm playing a game or sometimes streaming (netflix, hulu, etc), I'll just randomly lose connection for a split second. You can imagine how this is a pain in video games, especially being top of the scoreboard for a while and then BAM, I get the lovely "lost connection to EA servers" or whatever company's game im playing. Now I work in maritime so I'm away on boats a lot, and I guess it appears to be an issue only after I'm home for a while and play a lot. It's almost like when I'm gone for a couple weeks and come back I don't have this issue as much.

I'm using a wired connection, and theres 3 other computers in the house on wireless. They don't seem to lose connection like I do at all. It appears to be isolated to just my rig. There is a couple wireless printers on this network as well, and every once in a while a cell phone or two are connected to the wifi. 

Pretty sure I have one of optimums highest packages. 

I've tried to troubleshoot it myself by doing quite a few things including:

forwarding ports

replacing the ethernet cable

purchased a network card instead of using the mobos built in

went into the adapter settings and changed link speed from "auto negotiate" to "1gb/s full duplex"

resetting the router before playing

None of those have brought me luck at all. I'm still using windows 7 which was gonna be my next troubleshooting idea (upgrading to 10?)

If anyone has any advice or tips please let me know! Also if you need more information 

Thank you all in advance for any and all help

• 2 weeks later...

Well I appear to have fixed it finally!

it was as easy as going into my network and setting a static IP. all this work and the solution was so simple. oh well