Should I get a Radeon card if I have 144Hz Freesync panel, or it doesnt matter?

Darkbound

So I just bought LG 34UC79G-B which is a 144Hz Freesync panel at 2560x1080p

My current video card is Asus Strix GTX970, It is having a hard time maintaining 144FPS+ on games, so I was going to hunt for a 1070ti. However the Freesync option got me thinking, if I get a 1070Ti and it is able (is it?!) to maintain 144 FPS+, does it matter if I have FreeSync (e.g. a radeon card) or not? Would there be any benefit to getting a Vega 56 (is it equivalent of 1070ti?) and having Freesync on versus no Freesync but still being able to maintain 144 FPS+?

Recently Nvidia cards can now support free sync through DisplayPort cables. I would go with the 1070ti.

^^^^^^^^

the work of autocorrect.

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

This panel's freesync does work with an Nvidia card, but there's strobing.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Yeah but as far as I know its not for all monitors?

Just now, Darkbound said:

Yeah but as far as I know its not for all monitors?

You can use it for supporting monitors that are G-sync compatible. This is basically all Freesync monitors (correct me if I'm wrong on that) But the G-SYNC certified free sync monitors go through the testing, as shown in Linus's video.

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

1 hour ago, Glenwing said:

You can use FreeSync on NVIDIA cards if you have a GTX 1000 series card or above.

FreeSync on NVIDIA GPU's is still a bit buggy in some monitors (as mine).

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

I dont know how my monitor will behave with that feature, I dont know if it is compatible. 

Assuming that its not, but I am able to maintain 144+ fps, would that negate the fact that I wont have Freesync, or even at 144+ fps Freesync is s till beneficial?

12 minutes ago, Darkbound said:

I dont know how my monitor will behave with that feature, I dont know if it is compatible. 

Assuming that its not, but I am able to maintain 144+ fps, would that negate the fact that I wont have Freesync, or even at 144+ fps Freesync is s till beneficial?

It's always beneficial, it's a lot better of an experience because it eliminates a lot of the major screen tearing issues even V-Sync cant take care of.

2 minutes ago, YoFavRussian said:

It's always beneficial, it's a lot better of an experience because it eliminates a lot of the major screen tearing issues even V-Sync cant take care of.

Yes but if I maintain 144+fps would I notice the tearing that you speak of without Freesync? 

1 minute ago, Darkbound said:

Yes but if I maintain 144+fps would I notice the tearing that you speak of without Freesync? 

Even if you maintain that you will still notice tearing, V-Sync even has issues with tearing and it was designed to mitigate the tearing.

I've noticed it at 60 and 120 Hz, it's Freesync and G-Sync are the only technologies that truly eliminate screen tearing.

• 2 weeks later...

So I bought the 144Hz monitor, FreeSync did work but I am noticing severe ghosting in World of Warcraft and I could not find a way to fix it, I think that Dota 2 didnt have ghosting, but I have played mostly WoW so far. I have turned it off for now and I dont notice any tearing, or maybe I am just not that picky/or not used to higher quality to notice the difference. The only problem I would say that I have currently is that I have two additional side monitors, both of which are running @60Hz, while the big one is running at 144Hz, and for some reason this makes the 60Hz monitors laggy, this is happening because of the differences in refresh rates, if I set the middle one to 60Hz (so all are at 60) everything is fine, but from what I've read so far, I could not find a way to mitigate this and I just have to live with it?