Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MatthiasLundgaard

Does my old harddrive affect performance of system?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey everyone,
I've been having a-lot of "freezes" and lags on my system. But while it's a brand new system with 32gb ram, RTX 2070 and a Ryzen 2700x.
im still having this issue, now im asking you. Could my harddrive be the issue? anyone know?

i have 240gb kingston SSD for my windows and only that (had it since my pc from 2014-15) and when i upgraded motherboard and stuff, i made a install of windows 10 where it deletes programs but not files.
Then i have Crucial® MX300 750GB 2.5" SSD for games and important programs. (end of 2018)
And then i have a 2tb hdd from Western digital Green from the first desktop just like the ssd (2014-15)

Any suggestions?
- Matthias

Check with Hard Disk Sentinel. Usually, a drive affects only what is on it.

It might be that the Kingston needs a new firmware and a Secure Erase to restore performance.

Look at your error logs in Event Viewer and see if anything is there. Unlikely that the HDD being present will do this to your system, the system would have to be actively accessing a faulty drive to cause freezes as you've described. Much more likely that your SSD is causing this issue which will require some diagnosing.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 1700@3.9ghz | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3466mhz CL: 14)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

AMD FX 8320@4.5ghz | Biostar TA970 | Vengeance Pro 1866 2x8gb DDR3

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | HGST 1tb

9 minutes ago, 191x7 said:

It might be that the Kingston needs a new firmware and a Secure Erase to restore performance.

How do it get the kingston firmware updated as you suggest? ?

1 minute ago, MatthiasLundgaard said:

Could try going to 'Device Manager' and right clinking on your drive and selecting 'Update Driver'? Failing that, go to the manufacturers website.

Current PC

CPUIntel Core i9 9900k

GPUGTX 1080 8GB FTW EVGA

MotherboardASUS PRIME Z370-A II

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB) DDR4 2400 Mhz

Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Storage 2: Hyper X 240GB

PSU: Corsair RM750 80 Plus Gold 750W

Peripherals: Logitech G502 Hero//Corsair K70 MK 2 Cherry MX Red

Display: BenQ XL2430T 24-inch 144Hz

Just now, Ardu said:

Could try going to 'Device Manager' and right clinking on your drive and selecting 'Update Driver'? Failing that, go to the manufacturers website.

Device manager has never updated any drivers for me ?

6 minutes ago, MatthiasLundgaard said:

Device manager has never updated any drivers for me ?

I've always been in the same boat, but recently I thought I'd go on a mass updating spree, and I updated at least 5 things through it.

Current PC

CPUIntel Core i9 9900k

GPUGTX 1080 8GB FTW EVGA

22 minutes ago, 191x7 said:

Do you have a link to the official Kingston update thing you where talking about?

2 minutes ago, Ardu said:

I've always been in the same boat, but recently I thought I'd go on a mass updating spree, and I updated at least 5 things through it.

I'll try the same when i get home ?

Could my "not" complete windows install cause issues? old drivers and stuff from the components that is from the first pc?

6 minutes ago, MatthiasLundgaard said:

I'll try the same when i get home ?

Could my "not" complete windows install cause issues? old drivers and stuff from the components that is from the first pc?

I assume you mean that you selected save all files, like your documents and stuff when you performed your new install? If this is the case that shouldn't be a reason for performance issues. What is it that you're having issues with exactly? Like what are you doing when the freezes occur?

Current PC

CPUIntel Core i9 9900k

GPUGTX 1080 8GB FTW EVGA

3 minutes ago, Ardu said:

I assume you mean that you selected save all files, like your documents and stuff when you performed your new install? If this is the case that shouldn't be a reason for performance issues. What is it that you're having issues with exactly? Like what are you doing when the freezes occur?

I made these posts which tells the issues more fully.

But people stopped answering, so went to create a new one

26 minutes ago, MatthiasLundgaard said:

13 minutes ago, MatthiasLundgaard said:

Do you have a link to the official Kingston update thing you where talking about?

You simply go to Kingston's webpage, find your drive model somewhere (probably support) and there you'll have the downloads for it.

I think the tool is called Kingston SSD manager or smth like that.

8 minutes ago, MatthiasLundgaard said:

I made these posts which tells the issues more fully.

But people stopped answering, so went to create a new one

Ah I see. Do you have any issues with general windows? So like exploring files, browsing the web, watching videos video Netflix, YouTube etc?

Current PC

CPUIntel Core i9 9900k

GPUGTX 1080 8GB FTW EVGA

1 minute ago, Ardu said:

Ah I see. Do you have any issues with general windows? So like exploring files, browsing the web, watching videos video Netflix, YouTube etc?

I feel my system running slow at some points, and can freeze at times. but its mostly in games. but slow web browsing (i have good net tho)

22 minutes ago, MatthiasLundgaard said:

I feel my system running slow at some points, and can freeze at times. but its mostly in games. but slow web browsing (i have good net tho)

Well because you've got your games on a separate drive, I'd be led to believe that could also be the problem, but it does sound like it's your OS' drive as that would also have an effect on your games. I think, if it's that much of a hindrance to your machine, you might be best off saving all of your documents (to a cloud or USB or something) and resetting your PC fully. And then reinstalling all of your stuff. I know this is a hassle, but if the problem is still there after doing this, it kinda finds the solution to your problem, which would probably be to load your OS onto a different drive, or buy a new drive as well. BUT FIRST BEFORE DOING ANY OF THIS, UPDATE YOUR SSD' DRIVERS! https://www.kingston.com/en/support/technical/category/ssd

Find which one is yours from here!

Current PC

CPUIntel Core i9 9900k

GPUGTX 1080 8GB FTW EVGA

Since 2007 I have used only one drive in my gaming PCs and those drives have been WD 10,000rpm Raptors. From those I went straight to large SSDs. 

I started using 10,000rpm dives to fix the stutter problem I had with MS Flight Simulator and the game, Oblivion. Both are open world and both had lots of user added content(mods).

I improved performance even more by removing all other drives from the system. Windows liked to "check disks" and that slows things down. Windows may have been fixed but I have not checked in over 10 years so I would not know.

The only type of stutter that I get now is from GPUs. Usually from drivers that can be rolled back to fix.

In one case it was a motherboard/GPU compatibility problem. This was easy for me to test since I don't sell my old GPUs. I simple put another GPU in and did some tests.

What I do works for me and has been working for a long time.

I recently fixed a problem I had with stutter I got from 4k textures in my heavily modded games by using a large 970 EVO. I was an expensive fix but so was paying $300 in 2007 for a WD Raptor. 

RIG#1 CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 ti FTW3 ULTRA | PSU: Corsair CORSAIR AX860W | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 2TB | Monitor: LG 38" 3840 x 1600 75hz

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 ti XC | PSU: Corsair RMx1000W | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV  

Rig#3 CPU: Intel i7 6700k | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-Pro | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ti | PSU: Corsair 650 | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | Cooler: Intel | HDD: WD Black 5TB | Monitor: LG 32" 4k 60hz 

23 minutes ago, Ardu said:

Well because you've got your games on a separate drive, I'd be led to believe that could also be the problem, but it does sound like it's your OS' drive as that would also have an effect on your games. I think, if it's that much of a hindrance to your machine, you might be best off saving all of your documents (to a cloud or USB or something) and resetting your PC fully. And then reinstalling all of your stuff. I know this is a hassle, but if the problem is still there after doing this, it kinda finds the solution to your problem, which would probably be to load your OS onto a different drive, or buy a new drive as well. BUT FIRST BEFORE DOING ANY OF THIS, UPDATE YOUR SSD' DRIVERS! https://www.kingston.com/en/support/technical/category/ssd

Find which one is yours from here!

Thanks! :D
Can i find the version of my ssd on my pc or do i have to open the case up? ?

10 minutes ago, MatthiasLundgaard said:

Thanks! :D
Can i find the version of my ssd on my pc or do i have to open the case up? ?

If you go to 'Device Manager' and then 'Disk Drives' it should have then listen there, and one should be called 'KINGSTON' followed by some numbers or something, that's what model it is.

Current PC

CPUIntel Core i9 9900k

GPUGTX 1080 8GB FTW EVGA

Just now, Ardu said:

If you go to 'Device Manager' and then 'Disk Drives' it should have then listen there, and one should be called 'KINGSTON' followed by some numbers or something, that's what model it is.

I'll return to this topic later, when im done with work and have tested the things that have been suggested in the thread! ?

If you have ANYTHING on the HDD that your system uses, it'll seem to lag when accessing said stuffs.

For example if you installed Discord on your HDD by accident, you'll get a lag feeling when Discord loads on boot.

Something to check.

Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti