Samsung nvme cache memory?

Go to solution Solved by Sorenson,
2 minutes ago, Cemil2565 said:

i know i have a samsung 970 evo 250gb nvme and its awesome. i have also samsung 860 evo 500gb ssd but i want to switch to nvme all the way so looking for the new nvme of samsung, i want to buy 250gb or 500gb model bcs i only need 130gb and i cant decide of the different speeds :/

As long as you’re not video editing I don’t think you’ll ever notice the difference.

what is cache memory ? whats the difference between these two, what can i except if i buy the 500gb other than 1tb? 

also why does 250gb have slower speed?

samsungm.2.png

2tb.png

I'm going to guess that the 500GB and 1TB drives are NVMe and the 250GB one is SATA, which would explain the speed difference.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

I'm going to guess that the 500GB and 1TB drives are NVMe and the 250GB one is SATA, which would explain the speed difference.

no its nvme too, look i added new picture

Just now, Cemil2565 said:

no its nvme too, look i added new picture

Honestly I'm not sure, but it's still stupidly fast so I wouldn't worry about it.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

8 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Honestly I'm not sure, but it's still stupidly fast so I wouldn't worry about it.

also what is cache memory? what improvement gives that ?

Just now, Cemil2565 said:

also what is cache memory? what improvement gives that ?

Not exactly sure what performance increase it gives, but more is better.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Cache is like dram for your SSD. These are TLC nand which is a cheaper slower form of flash memory (it’s still not slow by any means). The cache is really fast memory that acts as a buffer which is written to really quick and then transferred to the slower write speed TLC memory. When you write a file larger than the cache you will see a slow down in write speed.

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Not exactly sure what performance increase it gives, but more is better.

Larger SSD’s are faster than smaller ones. It’s a quirk caused by the way flash storage is implemented. This is why a 1tb NVMe ssd will often have comparable speeds to two 512 NVMe drives in raid 0.

1 minute ago, Sorenson said:

Cache is like dram for your SSD. These are TLC nand which is a cheaper slower form of flash memory (it’s still not slow by any means). The cache is really fast memory that acts as a buffer which is written to really quick and then transferred to the slower write speed TLC memory. When you write a file larger than the cache you will see a slow down in write speed.

Larger SSD’s are faster than smaller ones. It’s a quirk caused by the way flash storage is implemented. This is why a 1tb NVMe ssd will often have comparable speeds to two 512 NVMe drives in raid 0.

so after 1gb or bigger file will i get down to slower than actual speed (500gb 3200MB/s)? to what 200MB/s?

I forgot to add, an important factor in ssd performance is how cool the ssd memory and controller are when under a load. You don’t have to worry about this with Samsung drives, but some other companies don’t cool their NVME or SATA drives properly when under load.

4 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

I forgot to add, an important factor in ssd performance is how cool the ssd memory and controller are when under a load. You don’t have to worry about this with Samsung drives, but some other companies don’t cool their NVME or SATA drives properly when under load.

i know i have a samsung 970 evo 250gb nvme and its awesome. i have also samsung 860 evo 500gb ssd but i want to switch to nvme all the way so looking for the new nvme of samsung, i want to buy 250gb or 500gb model bcs i only need 130gb and i cant decide of the different speeds :/

3 minutes ago, Cemil2565 said:

so after 1gb or bigger file will i get down to slower than actual speed (500gb 3200MB/s)? to what 200MB/s?

Probably closer to the 600-800MB/S range. I wouldn’t worry about it too much though if you’re not doing productivity workloads. You practically will never notice a difference. If it bugs you, you can always add intel optane which (I believe) would act as a larger cache for the drive. I’m not sure if it would practically speed up performance in larger write workloads.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13761/the-samsung-970-evo-plus-ssd-review/3

2 minutes ago, Cemil2565 said:

As long as you’re not video editing I don’t think you’ll ever notice the difference.

3 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

ok thanks, i just do normal internet stuff and gaming sometimes, iam gonna buy the 250gb model no need to spend more money for empty space :) 

17 minutes ago, Cemil2565 said:

ok thanks, i just do normal internet stuff and gaming sometimes, iam gonna buy the 250gb model no need to spend more money for empty space :) 

just bought 500gb coulnt resist higher speed and it was giving free game :)

aaa.png

sa.png