Are WD blue drives reliable for desktop use.

Go to solution Solved by MadmanRB,

Meh i say get a 2tb seagate as nowadays segates kind of improved.

As long as you dont go above 3TB seagates are fine now.

WD drives can be bloody expensive and I am not a fan of them locking most WD blue drives at 52000 RPM

The only one that has 72000 RPM is the WD blue 1 TB drive but if you are a gamer thats gonna run out fast.

WD in a rather scammy move to make more money have done a far worse thing, you want a brand new 2TB HDD that can run at 72000 RPM?

$119.99 plus tax, i can get a bloody seagate 3TB for about half that price.

This is the only reason why i buy segate as WD can go bleep themselves on this point, failure rate mean nothing when WD is scamming you.

Looking at getting a storage upgrade for my PC and was wondering wetheir the 2 tb WD blue drives are worth getting was looking at this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B018RW7GOU/ref=ox_sc_act_image_3?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

6 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I'd get a newer Toshiba P300 or the HGST rival.  Those have the lowest failure rate.  From there it's Seagate and WD.  Unless they updated the list.

If you don't mind: what list? some kind of chart for HDD reliability?

I can vouch for the WD blues, I've got six of them between 500gb-2tb, all still work but four aren't used since I don't have space in my pc for all of them, I have however had problems with Seagate drives.

Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI B550 Mag Tomahawk - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 3200 (4x8) - EVGA RTX2060 XC Gaming 12gig - Crucial P2 250gb nvme ssd (OS) - WD Blue 1tb sata hdd (general storage) - Seagate Barracuda 4tb sata hdd (games) - iBuypower Element Reflect

1 minute ago, wolfmcbeard said:

I can vouch for the WD blues, I've got six of them between 500gb-2tb, all still work but four aren't used since I don't have space in my pc for all of them, I have however had problems with Seagate drives.

I was looking at the 2 tb one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B018RW7GOU/ref=ox_sc_act_image_3?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

Just now, Ben17 said:

Got the 2tb sitting on my shelf with the others, I've had it for several years as the D drive in several pc's.
Are you just planing on using an HDD or using an SSD as the C drive?

Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI B550 Mag Tomahawk - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 3200 (4x8) - EVGA RTX2060 XC Gaming 12gig - Crucial P2 250gb nvme ssd (OS) - WD Blue 1tb sata hdd (general storage) - Seagate Barracuda 4tb sata hdd (games) - iBuypower Element Reflect

3 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Well, I will say this WD doesn't usually have high failure rates that's Seagate's thing on some.  I think their highest ever on the BackBlaze list was like 27 percent on a 1TB, iirc.  Been awhile since I went over the list.  The Blues usually have low failure rates just not as low as the newer P300s and HGST rival unless that changed on the last list.  

The fail rate for the 1tb ones slightly worries me, since that's my current main drive.

15 minutes ago, wolfmcbeard said:

Got the 2tb sitting on my shelf with the others, I've had it for several years as the D drive in several pc's.
Are you just planing on using an HDD or using an SSD as the C drive?

120gb ssd for c drive 2 TB hard drive for storage. I currently have a old 500gb Seagate barracuda in my PC but I want to be able to back it up as I would like to formant it so its just one drive as it used to be my OS (c) drive in a old pentium g620 system I had before.

1 hour ago, valdyrgramr said:

BackBlaze's.  Last time Toshiba and HGST had the lowest failure rates.  But, that might have been updated.

The backblaze failure rate results are pretty flawed tbh, best to take it with a grain of salt.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 hour ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

The backblaze failure rate results are pretty flawed tbh, best to take it with a grain of salt.

Very true?

Meh i say get a 2tb seagate as nowadays segates kind of improved.

As long as you dont go above 3TB seagates are fine now.

WD drives can be bloody expensive and I am not a fan of them locking most WD blue drives at 52000 RPM

The only one that has 72000 RPM is the WD blue 1 TB drive but if you are a gamer thats gonna run out fast.

WD in a rather scammy move to make more money have done a far worse thing, you want a brand new 2TB HDD that can run at 72000 RPM?

$119.99 plus tax, i can get a bloody seagate 3TB for about half that price.

This is the only reason why i buy segate as WD can go bleep themselves on this point, failure rate mean nothing when WD is scamming you.

I went ahead and reviewed the Specification Sheet (PDF) and this particular model has a load cycle of 300,000, so you can empty it and complete it that many times. There are a couple of Seagate BarraCuda models of 2TB that double that amount, the ST2000DM005 and the ST2000DM008, there are also 2 models more of 2TB that matches the same specs of the WD Blue you are interested in, the ST2000DM006 and ST2000DM002. I give you this information because the higher the load cycles of the HDD the better (more endurance): 

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

On 6/3/2019 at 3:51 PM, seagate_surfer said:
On 6/3/2019 at 3:51 PM, seagate_surfer said:

I went ahead and reviewed the Specification Sheet (PDF) and this particular model has a load cycle of 300,000

do u mean these drives?https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07H2RR55Q/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

I can say from experience Seagate and WD will honor the warranty if the drive breaks.  If you need your data protected then backup accordingly, whether it's a cloud plan or external hdd.

As a side note, WD Black and Barracuda Pro give you a 5 year warranty.  The Blue and Cuda only get 2 years.

On 6/4/2019 at 5:53 PM, Ben17 said:

Yes, but if you want the 2 TB version that has 600 000 load cycle endurance instead of the one with 300 000 then ask the seller to give you one of these: ST2000DM005 or ST2000DM008. You can also ask for the model they are selling and double check the specs using the search engine here in this following link and see if it is what you are looking for:

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

On 6/4/2019 at 6:35 PM, Biggerboot said:

I can say from experience Seagate and WD will honor the warranty if the drive breaks.  If you need your data protected then backup accordingly, whether it's a cloud plan or external hdd.

As a side note, WD Black and Barracuda Pro give you a 5 year warranty.  The Blue and Cuda only get 2 years.

Thanks for sharing! 

2 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

Thanks for sharing! 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07H2RR55Q/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

do you mean these ones?