Rendering - RTX 2060 vs Vega 56

Hey guys, So my office needs a build for our new render position. I'm putting together something budget and will be buying the following parts -

CPU - Ryzen 2600 

Mobo - Asrock HDV B450M

Ram - Corsair 16Gb 3000Mhz

Storage 1 - Kingston 120Gb SSD

Storage 2 - WD Blue 1TB HDD

PSU - Corsair CX550M 80+ Bronze

GPU Option 1 - Zotac Gaming RTX 2060 IceStorm - 6GB

GPU Option 2 - Saphire Radeon Pulse RX Vega 56 - 8GB

I've reached a conundrum with the GPU section because it was my understanding that the Vega 56 was one of the best budget options for rendering tasks.

However, the slightly more expensive RTX2060 seems to be a bit more, (shall I say) solid option with less chance for hitches or other notoriety like crashing.

If anyone has any experience with the two for blender/3dsmax or other mainstream rendering apps, please let me know below. All opinions are welcome.

Thanks!

3ds max really likes vram from my understanding.

More is better, so if you are working on an animation that needs more than 6gb of vram, the vega 56 will yield better performance strictly by that fact alone.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

5 minutes ago, Casual Cube said:

Hey guys, So my office needs a build for our new render position. I'm putting together something budget and will be buying the following parts -

CPU - Ryzen 2600 

Mobo - Asrock HDV B450M

Ram - Corsair 16Gb 3000Mhz

Storage 1 - Kingston 120Gb SSD

Storage 2 - WD Blue 1TB HDD

PSU - Corsair CX550M 80+ Bronze

GPU Option 1 - Zotac Gaming RTX 2060 IceStorm - 6GB

GPU Option 2 - Saphire Radeon Pulse RX Vega 56 - 8GB

I've reached a conundrum with the GPU section because it was my understanding that the Vega 56 was one of the best budget options for rendering tasks.

However, the slightly more expensive RTX2060 seems to be a bit more, (shall I say) solid option with less chance for hitches or other notoriety like crashing.

If anyone has any experience with the two for blender/3dsmax or other mainstream rendering apps, please let me know below. All opinions are welcome.

Thanks!

So, back in 2018 blender finally picked up support for cuda acceleration officially, and there are a handful of engines in 3ds that can make use of cuda acceleration, however, when it comes to straight number crunches the vega does just take the cake. As far as stability is concerned I personally have had far more issues with nvidias drivers, but thats a personal thing, just dont let the whole mindset that amd has shit drivers get to you, its just a worn out meme at this point. Their stability is near identical.

Personally, I would probably still go for the 2060, but mostly just because of iray.

The added vram of the 56 is really nice though...

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

It will be rendering what? In what SW?

From what I know, they will hire someone to render stills of architecture and pools etc. My guess would be to prepare it to use blender and 3ds. Any further knowledge, I lack in the matter.

Eddit: I also think some walk through animation style things might be in the scope as well.

Just now, Casual Cube said:

From what I know, they will hire someone to render stills of architecture and pools etc. My guess would be to prepare it to use blender and 3ds. Any further knowledge, I lack in the matter

If its Blender then Vega56 is a lot better choice. You usualy want more VRAM for 3D renders as those tasks can be very VRAM demanding and Vega has 8GB vs RTX 2060 which has only 6GB.

As for what other SW they use, it depends. If it can use OpenCL then Vega56 is usualy a better choice. If it can only use CUDA then you have to go with RTX 2060 (heck, GTX 1070 or 1070ti may actualy make more sense as it has more VRAM).

4 minutes ago, WereCat said:

If its Blender then Vega56 is a lot better choice. You usualy want more VRAM for 3D renders as those tasks can be very VRAM demanding and Vega has 8GB vs RTX 2060 which has only 6GB.

As for what other SW they use, it depends. If it can use OpenCL then Vega56 is usualy a better choice. If it can only use CUDA then you have to go with RTX 2060 (heck, GTX 1070 or 1070ti may actualy make more sense as it has more VRAM).

I didn't think I would even find 1070's retail anymore but if I see it I'll grab one. However since blender is the top choice for render guys in our locale, I think the vega 56 will do fine considering its cheaper and more designed for workstations than single programs.