When Updating A Program How Do You Determine Versions

Snapy1
Go to solution Solved by linusforsell,

In many cases, the updated version number reflects the size or significance of the update.

An update from 1.0 to 2.0 would mean it's a big or very significant update, while an update from 1.0.1 to 1.0.2 would mean a smaller and less significant update, 1.0.0.1 to 1.0.0.2 would usually represent an even smaller update. Once a number to the left of another has been changed, all the numbers to the right should be reset to 0 — 1.0.2.5 could for example go to 1.1.0.0.

Ultimately though, it's completely up to the developer how he or she would like to number the versions, just make sure to be consistent with the version numbers so that it can be tracked.

How do you determine which version to update your program to, its its at v1.0 stage, do you update it to v.1.0, 1.01. How do you determine that?

In many cases, the updated version number reflects the size or significance of the update.

An update from 1.0 to 2.0 would mean it's a big or very significant update, while an update from 1.0.1 to 1.0.2 would mean a smaller and less significant update, 1.0.0.1 to 1.0.0.2 would usually represent an even smaller update. Once a number to the left of another has been changed, all the numbers to the right should be reset to 0 — 1.0.2.5 could for example go to 1.1.0.0.

Ultimately though, it's completely up to the developer how he or she would like to number the versions, just make sure to be consistent with the version numbers so that it can be tracked.

Cheers,

Linus

1.01 is higher than 1.0 so typically you would go with the 1.01

if you need to know, look for the change log file. this is where the developer will make notes as to the changes from each version. sometimes also called version history.

Use the quote or multiquote, for faster responses \/ \/

Oh, one thing to do is something like v1.0 to v1.01 should actually be written as v1.00 to v1.01.  The reason being, if you happen to every have an alphabetical order 1.11 would come before 1.2, which is not a good thing when keeping track of things.

So if you only leave room for one digit try keeping only one digit....although that is just my opinion.

0b10111010 10101101 11110000 00001101

I know this is marked as answered, but just to add some additional info.
The most common versioning I have seen would be "Semantic Versioning" I think - check it out

I would do it like this  1.5.2

1st digit - major update

2nd digit - features added or chances made

3rd digit - bug fixes

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald