Ad Buster Buster - Chrome to limit ad blocking to Enterprise users only

rcmaehl
3 hours ago, huilun02 said:

I use pihole because all 3rd party ads and trackers need to die in a fire and I'm not allowing Google, Microsoft, or any hardware component in my PC to stand in my way.

-

1 minute ago, Technous285 said:

Opera since Version 15 is a Chrome-Clone, powered by Chromium (seriously, just install one specific Opera extension to allow access to the Chrome extension store, and you got all those extra options in extensions for Opera). Version 12 was the last desktop version of the pre-Chromium era, and 13 or 14 was the version for mobile devices like the Nintendo DS.

I haven't messed with Vivaldi in ages, so not sure if that's become a Chrome-Clone itself by moving to Chromium too, but I wouldn't be surprised at this point.

Yep... My mistake... Sort of

Opera and Vivaldi are based on Chromium.Should have checked before posting :-S  My coffee IV didn't take effect yet :-S

Regarding Vivaldi:

Despite also being Chromium-based, Vivaldi aims to revive the features of the Presto-based Opera with its own proprietary modifications.

Idk about this issue and for whatever reasons I got the gut feeling to change to Firefox lol. Been on Firefox for a month and migrated all my data and extensions over here. It's been better for all intent and purpose than chrome for me (nicer text rendering, some sites that able to detect adblocker on chrome can't detect adblocker on Firefox, less RAM usage).

*Glances at Opera and Vivaldi icon*

*smiles*

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

15 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

[...]

Opera and Vivaldi are based on Chromium.Should have checked before posting :-S  My coffee IV didn't take effect yet :-S[...]

I hope "IV" in "coffee IV" refers to the Roman numeral rather than to the word "intravenously" (the former being more healthy than the latter) /s

I am using Vivaldi for quite a while now, I can recommend it, especially after some upgrades that were done. It does heavily rely on chromium, so I hope the developpers can avoid the nasty parts being built into future versions of chrome/chromium. Otherwise I would have to switch to Firefox.

9 minutes ago, greenhorn said:

I hope "IV" in "coffee IV" refers to the Roman numeral rather than to the word "intravenously" (the former being more healthy than the latter) /s

Ah! Sorry to disappoint you but it's most definitely the latter.

Spoiler

photofunky.gif

1 hour ago, Technous285 said:

Opera since Version 15 is a Chrome-Clone, powered by Chromium (seriously, just install one specific Opera extension to allow access to the Chrome extension store, and you got all those extra options in extensions for Opera). Version 12 was the last desktop version of the pre-Chromium era, and 13 or 14 was the version for mobile devices like the Nintendo DS.

I haven't messed with Vivaldi in ages, so not sure if that's become a Chrome-Clone itself by moving to Chromium too, but I wouldn't be surprised at this point.

So? Opera of all is probably the only Chromium based browser that feels nothing like Chrome. And it also has a lot of cool features (like built in adblock). If their iOS browsers weren't such absolute useless turds I'd use it, but since I need to sync devices, that's just not an option. Firefox works the best in both segments, although it's not perfect on desktop or mobile. If Opera only spent like half an hour actually working on Opera for iOS it would be cool. But instead they decided to shove some stupid news feed into it which i couldn't give less shit about and they refuse to fix the stupid search engine always defaulting to Google. heh

6 hours ago, imreloadin said:

This seems like a very limited use case...

Not to mention now you can separate them inside the same profile lol....

As long as this is Chrome only and doesn't affect all Chromium browsers, I don't really care... Unless those extensions start disappearing from the chrome webstore as well...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

7 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

As long as this is Chrome only and doesn't affect all Chromium browsers, I don't really care... Unless those extensions start disappearing from the chrome webstore as well...

They will. Google itself might purge them because they support API that's not in use anymore. Or they'll filter them by API support. Then again, Opera has its own super efficient adblocker built in and so does Brave. only one left then is Vivaldi... Not sure about 3rd party ones like PrivacyBadger though.

12 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

PrivacyBadger

AFAIK it only blocks trackers...

pfBlockerNG FTW!

Just use Chromium Edge

Even Edge on Android and iOS, has ad block plus integrated.

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Nothing stops Chromium based web browsers to make its own branch.

2 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

AFAIK it only blocks trackers...

pfBlockerNG FTW!

Still uses same API iirc.

i have a question, what happens to all the other chromium based browsers ? as it stands opera as inbuilt adblocker, will it also get affected in the future? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

1 hour ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

i have a question, what happens to all the other chromium based browsers ? as it stands opera as inbuilt adblocker, will it also get affected in the future? 

No. Other browsers can disobey whatever Google sticks or removes in the base browser. It's just gonna be more work over time maintaining these changes.

Made my switch to brave. A long time ago and never looked back to google chrome. Plus it pays me to "view" ads(I usually just close the notifications). 

Switched to FF once i hopped onto Linux and never looked back. You can have extensions on your phone even, its sweet!

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I've kept using firefox over the years, and this step means that I will likely continue to do so... But god damn it, having tried chrome, why can't firefox have proper touch-based zoom?

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube