Ad Buster Buster - Chrome to limit ad blocking to Enterprise users only

rcmaehl
4 minutes ago, Gealach said:

Non-chrome users are laughing rn

Not sure why anyone still trusts Google at this point. They make their money by taking your data and selling ads. If you're opposed to either of those things then you should really be making an attempt to avoid google products.

I'll take Apple maps over Google maps any day of the week, because I'd rather spend 5 minutes figuring out where the fuck I am then give my location to Google.

There are so many good alternatives and yet people stick with Google like there is nothing else...

• GoogleDNS -> OpenDNS/Cloudflare
  • GMail -> Protonmail/Tutanota/Posteo/StartMail/Mailfence, hell even GMX is imo better option
  • Google Search -> DuckDuckGo/StartPage/Qwant/Unbubble
  • Google Maps -> HERE Maps
  • GDrive -> pCloud/MEGA/DropBox/AllSync/Deegoo
  • Chrome -> Firefox/Opera/Brave/Vivaldi

There are literally tons of good alternatives, but people just don't even try or be bothered to try. It's so funny, do these people also buy the first car they see, go to the first coffee shop they see, first clothes they see? No. They dig through shit and make whole studies out of it, but for stuff on computers, they just use the first thing they get under their hands. It's strange really... and of course Google's shit is the first thing they see or hear about since it's shilled all over the place...

9 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I tried it a couple months ago actually. Scrolling still isn't nearly as smooth. If frame drops occur frequently, it's not fast enough.

That's weird, for me it's not choppy at all on most sites - even though my phone isn't particularly new.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Looks like Google think their Market share is a bit too high. At least on PC it isn't too hard for users to switch to a different browser and I assume it will show should this change really come out.

13 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Source:

9-5 Google

Summary:

Google has moved ahead with Manifest V3, which will now limit as blocking to Enterprise users only

Quotes/Excepts:

My thoughts:

This is a bit sad to hear, especially now that with the creation of Chrome based Edge, Google owns the mass majority of web browsers. Will this change finally cause the end of Google's majority ownership?

Honestly using an ad blocker feels like theft. There are companies with almost nothing trying to grow, and no one can see their ads.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

There are so many good alternatives and yet people stick with Google like there is nothing else...

• GoogleDNS -> OpenDNS/Cloudflare
  • GMail -> Protonmail/Tutanota/Posteo/StartMail/Mailfence, hell even GMX is imo better option
  • Google Search -> DuckDuckGo/StartPage/Qwant/Unbubble
  • Google Maps -> HERE Maps 
  • GDrive -> pCloud/MEGA/DropBox/AllSync/Deegoo
  • Chrome -> Firefox/Opera/Brave/Vivaldi

There are literally tons of good alternatives, but people just don't even try or be bothered to try. It's so funny, do these people also buy the first car they see, go to the first coffee shop they see, first clothes they see? No. They dig through shit and make whole studies out of it, but for stuff on computers, they just use the first thing they get under their hands. It's strange really... and of course Google's shit is the first thing they see or hear about since it's shilled all over the place...

If you want to research everything you do, go ahead, but nobody has time for that.
DNS: my isp has decent DNS, faster than anything global
GMail: is more convenient and has more space for free than what you offerred
Google Search: DuckDuckGo is dramatically less useful in my case, I couldn't be bothered to try others, but iirc there's a google proxy that shows you google search results without giving them your data.
Google Maps: I've no time to check every map app, I've tried 4 alternative and all of them were unusable. Using Google Maps I didn't even think of the problems that occurred on other programs
GDrive: Any provider is fine as long as you encrypt your data(check out rclone), I've unlimited space on my school G-Suite and it's great. I also have MEGA and it's sketchy and annoying.
Chrome: never liked it, using FF since 2007, my PC and connection were the bottlenecks, not FF(which I had 'tuned' with some config mods that made a difference and mostly become default settings in recent years)

Going back to the topic, ads often contain viruses, so Google's forcing them on Chrome users is similar to government banning safety belts, mostly nothing happens, but may prove costly.

I always was astonished how small is the % of adblock users, so I choose the meter is somehow wrong and this news could mean big, big difference in browser popularity.

Honestly using an ad blocker feels like theft. There are companies with almost nothing trying to grow, and no one can see their ads.

You know, LTT is fine, I have uBlock off here and on some other sites, but if using it is theft, then going to make tea during TV commercials is too.

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

That's weird, for me it's not choppy at all on most sites - even though my phone isn't particularly new.

Perhaps it doesn't like my Snapdragon 821 for w/e reason.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

To everyone saying "Chromium is open source so they can fork it", the problem is that it might break extension compatibility. The end result is thst developers will have to choose to support Chrome/Chromium, or support "fork-of-chromium-with-adblock-api". They can't support both. 

And since Chrome has the overwhelming user base, developers will go with chrome and the restrictions imposed by Google. 

This is a clear example of EEE, and evidence that it does work with open source projects too. 

Hello Firefox. 

Semi-related question: Does Firefox have a better password manager than Lastpass that I would be able to import my info to? I've gotten tired of that app's quirks as of late, and the Android app for it is hot garbage. 

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

1 minute ago, Mr. horse said:

Firefox password manager is crap. Anyone that is on you PC can see your saved passwords. They are not encrypted or anything.

I don't let anyone use my PC and I ensure its security as best as I can always. 

What about third party addons?

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

I've really enjoyed using Chrome and google products in the past, but the last year or so their software has seemed to have gotten overly bloated. Between Chrome using absurd amounts of resources and google tracking your every move to throw ads your way, I think firefox with duckduckgo extension will be my new go-to browser.

Just now, Mr. horse said:

Are you willing to take that chance? One slip up and bamm, you passwords are stolen

I would not know. I don't need a password manager personally as I only have 4 accounts online.

I've been taking that chance for quite a few years now. I have a career revolving around IT security atm, so I am very familiar with how to secure my own system and network effectively.

However these days I honestly prefer the convenience of a password manager over having to personally remember all the passwords and the permutations of passwords I use for whatever I do online, in exchange for the security of full control. 

18 minutes ago, Phentos said:

I've been taking that chance for quite a few years now. I have a career revolving around IT security atm, so I am very familiar with how to secure my own system and network effectively.

However these days I honestly prefer the convenience of a password manager over having to personally remember all the passwords and the permutations of passwords I use for whatever I do online, in exchange for the security of full control. 

Two things are most critical to have secured. The password storage (password managers) and e-mail used for registration of services. If these two are secured well, it's unlikely anyone can compromise much. This especially applies to secured e-mail. Because if someone compromises that, they can "Forgot password" almost anything. So, 2FA is pretty much a must on your main e-mail and your password manager. And if you are using password manager, you're probably using super long and complex passwords since you don't have to remember all of them. And if you're doing that, it also means you're probably not sharing passwords between services, making things very secure. Then you just need to secure local system from having passwords stolen via keylogger or a real person stealing it from you. And that's about it in terms of keeping yourself safe.

8 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Two things are most critical to have secured. The password storage (password managers) and e-mail used for registration of services. If these two are secured well, it's unlikely anyone can compromise much. This especially applies to secured e-mail. Because if someone compromises that, they can "Forgot password" almost anything. So, 2FA is pretty much a must on your main e-mail and your password manager. And if you are using password manager, you're probably using super long and complex passwords since you don't have to remember all of them. And if you're doing that, it also means you're probably not sharing passwords between services, making things very secure. Then you just need to secure local system from having passwords stolen via keylogger or a real person stealing it from you. And that's about it in terms of keeping yourself safe.

I do multifactor on pretty much everything I deem important and if it's available. That includes all the email accounts I care about. 

I use very complex passwords with a lot of randomness in their content. I also don't share passwords whatsoever. Hence why I prefer to use password managers so I don't have to sit and try to remember which one I used when I sign into something. ?

Like I said in previous post. My job deals a lot with computer and network security, and if I didn't practice proper security habits and behaviors on my own system and network, I'd better just quit my job lmao.

11 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I'm more amused that Google thinks any enterprise will pay for Chrome.  My employer is yuuuge and wastes money all day every day at spectactular rates...and would never pay for Chrome while IE is free.

Um my employer pays for the Enterprise version of Chrome. There are aspects of the browser that they would like to control and also you know disabling the Google Spying and all.

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900X – Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi  – RAM: 4 x 16 GB G. Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz- GPU: ASUS  Strix Geforce GTX 1080ti– Case: Phankteks Enthoo Pro M – Storage: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB Intel 800p, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB & WD Blue 1 TB PSU: EVGA 1000P2– Display(s): ASUS PB238Q, AOC 4k, Korean 1440p 144hz Monitor - Cooling: NH-U12S, 2 gentle typhoons and 3 noiseblocker eloops – Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB Mouse: G502 Rgb & G Pro Wireless– Sound: Logitech z623 & AKG K240

11 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

Not the best idea to post what your password contains. If gives bad people an advantage. 

Lol.

1 hour ago, Mr. horse said:

I know what I am about to say will not be well accepted here.

But there are ads on websites for a reason. Its how most web site make money. Blocking adds is not all to far form steeling a service. If the add does not load they get nothing.

I do not like adds myself as they can be rather annoying but blocking them is not really the right thing to do ether. 

If an Ad provider would provide an implementation which simply embedded static images, no scripts, popups, autoplaying videos or animations, I would whitelist them in an instant.

48 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

Not the best idea to post what your password contains. If gives bad people an advantage.

Saying your password is highly random does not pose a significant danger. The number of passwords generated from frequently used patterns and dictionaries is much smaller than the total number of passwords for a given length.

1 hour ago, Mr. horse said:

Firefox password manager is crap. Anyone that is on you PC can see your saved passwords. They are not encrypted or anything.

Just enable a master password. Make sure the password is very strong as the password hashing function is only applied once (this is a known issue, they will be replacing it at some point)

image.png.8397c32eae04d19798bd90144f93aa93.png

49 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

That is not funny. Its very true. We now know that you use multi factor logins and have random passwords. So one would have a jump start on cracking an account of yours.

I mean, when cracking passwords you go through usual 123456 passwords and if none works, you assume the worst. Which means you go through everything at any length almost. We're talking raw brute force at local level. For the rest it very much depends and has to be targeted attack.

17 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

Good thing I'm not using Chrome anymore I guess. Rumor of that last year? made me switch to Firefox and honestly FF is notably faster than Chrome (especially for YouTube playback) so it really was for the better lmao

And it pulls less RAM.

It's not uncommon for me to come close to 90% memory usage when streaming, I've got 3 Firefox windows open and a couple tabs. Chrome would be complaining about not having enough RAM if I used that xD

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

What if we just lie lol? I can say I'm using birthdays for passwords, but really am not? Or maybe I am and no one would think I'm that stupid :P

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

To everyone saying "Chromium is open source so they can fork it", the problem is that it might break extension compatibility. The end result is thst developers will have to choose to support Chrome/Chromium, or support "fork-of-chromium-with-adblock-api". They can't support both. 

And since Chrome has the overwhelming user base, developers will go with chrome and the restrictions imposed by Google. 

This is a clear example of EEE, and evidence that it does work with open source projects too. 

But if your extension doesn't work with Chrome, then you don't have to make a choice ?

7 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I want to know who are the idiots using stupid Chrome? Interface is dumb, it has ZERO features and it's a fat pig that's not even fast. Especially when you cram bunch of extensions on it to even be half usable. And now that ads and all the tracking garbage won't be blockable, who will stick with it? II never understood how Chrome has risen to the user share it has other than hardcore shilling and bundling and the name "Google" coz people think if it's made by Google it has to be the best shit ever. Hint, it isn't.

Firefox is great and so are some Chromium forks like Brave and Opera, hell, even avast! Secure Browser looks somewhat interesting. But Chrome, literally no reason to use it. None.

I found it a bit faster on page loads (not only youtube) and in linux distros is the only way to get widevine without digging further, but I still use firefox as my main browser for other reasons

20 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

*laughs in Safari* 

Apple has already implemented something similar in Safari but with a limit of 50,000 instead of 30,000 .

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

11 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Ghostery and/or other browser extension developers have said that they will file anti-trust lawsuits if Google goes through with it.

Source:

https://9to5google.com/2019/01/23/ghostery-anti-trust-chrome-ad-blocking/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),