Poor perfomance on FAR CRY 5, gtx 1070 i54690

furiosa
13 minutes ago, furiosa said:

Did what you told, it is supposed to be like this, right?

Yes, that's correct. 3.7 GHz. Perfect.

13 minutes ago, furiosa said:

And no, I did not find anything related to Fan Curve, only the standard settings to fan speed :( (as attached below)

That's it, right there...

cpuf.png.a83be1b376dc2847c63fcdd427525371.png

Go in there and set a fan curve, it's right there. You mentioned it brings up either Silent Mode, Manual or Full Speed. Choose Manual and set the fan curve. Read that bottom line there, "Determine fan speed manually by percentage of maximum potential fan speed."

This is what mine looks like and works great for me...

CPU Fan1 level 1 Temp 40

CPU Fan1 level 2 Temp 50

CPU Fan1 level 3 Temp 55

CPU Fan1 level 4 Temp 60

CPU Fan1 level 1 Percent 20

CPU Fan1 level 2 Percent 60

CPU Fan1 level 3 Percent 70

CPU Fan1 level 4 Percent 85

2 hours ago, Dr. Historic Low said:

Yes, that's correct. 3.7 GHz. Perfect.

That's it, right there...

cpuf.png.a83be1b376dc2847c63fcdd427525371.png

Go in there and set a fan curve, it's right there. You mentioned it brings up either Silent Mode, Manual or Full Speed. Choose Manual and set the fan curve. Read that bottom line there, "Determine fan speed manually by percentage of maximum potential fan speed."

This is what mine looks like and works great for me...

CPU Fan1 level 1 Temp 40

CPU Fan1 level 2 Temp 50

CPU Fan1 level 3 Temp 55

CPU Fan1 level 4 Temp 60

CPU Fan1 level 1 Percent 20

CPU Fan1 level 2 Percent 60

CPU Fan1 level 3 Percent 70

CPU Fan1 level 4 Percent 85

After this BIOS reset my CPU is reaching 100% again. Before that, with all the tweaks I made it was playable, but now I'm stuck again, odd thing is that nothing changed beside BIOS!

I'm actually trying to do what I did in the past to set my CPU better but I do not know what i'm missing.

About the fan curve, there is no setting to determine speed > temp, I can only change the speed and that's it. When I hit 'manual' it brings me the speed values only.a60d1832-ab32-4431-94f9-3fec84771d98.jpg.385afb0980a7dcd90efcbdcf3b77a4e8.jpg

FarCryNewDawn_2019_06_15_18_45_18_761.png

43 minutes ago, furiosa said:

About the fan curve, there is no setting to determine speed > temp, I can only change the speed and that's it.

Apparently you can't set a custom fan curve in that BIOS. Might as well try full speed but make sure your fan speed is not running at full speed outside of gaming.

fulls.png.b75de470fb48ddafc532900651c981bf.png< Is your CPU fan speed at full speed in this screenshot? You do not want your CPU hitting this 70 degrees.

It's not your hardware that's causing this issue, just take a look at this game play, he's got his bottleneck under complete control and most likely has a really good cooler because his CPU temp is always in the 40's. And he's on Ultra settings...

The only time his CPU hits 100% and holds(barely) is at the 1:15 mark at the very end of the benchmark.

Definitely something you're missing. You may could try and reapply thermal paste and re-seat your CPU because your CPU temp shouldn't be this high. But if you've never done that before, it should be a last resort I would think. It's actually pretty easy, but can be tricky when first doing it.

31 minutes ago, Dr. Historic Low said:

Apparently you can't set a custom fan curve in that BIOS. Might as well try full speed but make sure your fan speed is not running at full speed outside of gaming.

fulls.png.b75de470fb48ddafc532900651c981bf.png< Is your CPU fan speed at full speed in this screenshot? You do not want your CPU hitting this 70 degrees.

It's not your hardware that's causing this issue, just take a look at this game play, he's got his bottleneck under complete control and most likely has a really good cooler because his CPU temp is always in the 40's. And he's on Ultra settings...

The only time his CPU hits 100% and holds(barely) is at the 1:15 mark at the very end of the benchmark.

Definitely something you're missing. You may could try and reapply thermal paste and re-seat your CPU because your CPU temp shouldn't be this high. But if you've never done that before, it should be a last resort I would think. It's actually pretty easy, but can be tricky when first doing it.

Already did change the thermal paste last week, I`m positive that`s not the issue.

And I was at full speed all times.

Damn, this is annoying as f*

On FC New Dawn it reaches 100% again. I`ll try to see what I`m missing

FarCryNewDawn_2019_06_15_19_51_04_519.png

29 minutes ago, furiosa said:

And I was at full speed all times. On FC New Dawn it reaches 100% again. I`ll try to see what I`m missing

cpu45.png.457cf3e0918ef8260f53e6f420e44b23.png

That would be wise, you're entering throttling territory. The maximum operating temperature is 72.72 degrees C. Once you go above that, it may cause system instability(exactly what you are experiencing), shorten the lifespan of your CPU and possibly damage it.

It's possible that your stock cooler could be broken or at least inadequate at this moment in time. Causing your PC to perform the way it is. I know that if I saw a temp of 75 on my i5, I'm buying me a new cooler. They're very inexpensive.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Historic Low said:

cpu45.png.457cf3e0918ef8260f53e6f420e44b23.png

That would be wise, you're entering throttling territory. The maximum operating temperature is 72.72 degrees C. Once you go above that, it may cause system instability(exactly what you are experiencing), shorten the lifespan of your CPU and possibly damage it.

It's possible that your stock cooler could be broken or at least inadequate at this moment in time. Causing your PC to perform the way it is. I know that if I saw a temp of 75 on my i5, I'm buying me a new cooler. They're very inexpensive.

Okay, do you have a cooler in mind to recommend?

34 minutes ago, furiosa said:

Okay, do you have a cooler in mind to recommend?

Not exactly. But I do know that it's wise to get one that's at least $30.00 to say $50.00 and do some research on the one you actually go with. Cooler Master, be quiet! and Noctua are brands that I'd look into. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is $25.00 right now after a mail in rebate or you can hit up Walmart if you don't want to wait and get the Hyper 212 Black Edition for $35.00. It's a well known cooler that's been around a while. The be quiet! Pure Rock Slim is pretty much around the same price tag and will get similar results to the Hyper 212.

But there is something you need to do first. Play a game again, only this time, cap your fps at 30. Play for at least 10-20 minutes and then take another screenshot. Make sure you are showing your specs in the corner and that your fps is capped at 30 fps.

3 hours ago, Dr. Historic Low said:

Not exactly. But I do know that it's wise to get one that's at least $30.00 to say $50.00 and do some research on the one you actually go with. Cooler Master, be quiet! and Noctua are brands that I'd look into. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is $25.00 right now after a mail in rebate or you can hit up Walmart if you don't want to wait and get the Hyper 212 Black Edition for $35.00. It's a well known cooler that's been around a while. The be quiet! Pure Rock Slim is pretty much around the same price tag and will get similar results to the Hyper 212.

But there is something you need to do first. Play a game again, only this time, cap your fps at 30. Play for at least 10-20 minutes and then take another screenshot. Make sure you are showing your specs in the corner and that your fps is capped at 30 fps.

There you go

FarCryNewDawn_2019_06_15_23_25_28_663.png

FarCryNewDawn_2019_06_15_23_25_57_362.png

FarCryNewDawn_2019_06_15_23_26_01_565.png

FarCryNewDawn_2019_06_15_23_36_15_274.png

1 hour ago, furiosa said:

There you go

Aha. See what I see? Capping your fps to 30 shows that your CPU is now not being strained to it's max usage and processing nicely. However, look at your CPU temp. It's still really high. It should not be high at all when your CPU isn't being pushed to its limit. It should be in the 40's to 50's degrees. This most likely means that something is definitely going on with your cooler and/or the airflow inside your case. Your cooler is not doing it's job at all. Especially... if you have it on full speed.

Now if you're confident that you installed it correctly back when you reapplied thermal paste, then I'd recommend installing a new cooler. The ones I mentioned above should suffice nicely. Or you can check out some of these priced around $25.00 - $50.00...

$25.00 - $60.00 Coolers

When you find a few that interest you, just be sure to make sure they're compatible with your PC and a little research on them couldn't hurt. YouTube usually has multiple reviews from multiple people. Stick to a solid brand and you should be fine. Getting a new cooler is actually a lot of fun because it's an excellent investment.

Good luck and I hope it works out for ya'. Don't forget to take off the piece of plastic from the bottom of the cooler before installing.

I just found the app center from Gigabyte utility tools, and it has the speed curve you talked about!

image.png.a80d216fd50da3094f7c84a0dafb3f48.png

1 hour ago, furiosa said:

I just found the app center from Gigabyte utility tools, and it has the speed curve you talked about!

Try changing it to something similar to what I listed. It may not do much with your current cooler but I'd recommend changing it from what is shown in that picture anyway. Here's what it would look like if you changed it to what I have mine set to... Forgive my paint job, I just threw this together in like 5 minutes.

fancrv.png.5678b080fe13de8f03b3dcb320d65d2d.png

I went ahead and showed the last one as 90% instead of 85%, since you most likely need that extra 5%. You can of course set this fan curve to your preference. If this fan curve doesn't keep your CPU in the 50 degrees C to 60 degrees C(which I don't think it will), then I would think your cooler just isn't doing its job right.