Java programming

pwnage630

Otherwise it's a random guy on the web that I have no idea of what his background is versu the multitude of teacher that told me "don't even touch it use something else".

If your teachers really told you that you need to go get a refund on that education of yours.

If your teachers really told you that you need to go get a refund on that education of yours.

Again it your credibility versu what I already know, insulting them change nothing, prove me wrong and I'll change my opinion.

Minecraft's fine.

Not exactly the most serious game in terms of gameplay and visuals. 

http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/25492/is-java-viable-for-serious-game-development

For serious, 3D, graphically intense games, Java is piss-poor. The very fact that there aren't any Java games on the same scale as something like Battlefield, Crysis and the multitude of games written using C++ is proof enough. If it's simply a matter of not having enough game-specific libraries/APIs, a good question to ask would be: assuming both had the same amount of support in terms of libraries/APIs, would one be better than the other? Nobody can really answer that beyond a theoretical assumption that both would be equal in performance.

For the OPs case though, Java is perfectly fine. 

Personally, I studied Java because the documentation for explaining Object-Oriented Programming was one of the best I've read. I've since been able to apply those concepts to other languages, finding it much easier to pick up. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

If you were to prove me that Java is fine for 3D game by providing example then I would see your point but the only example I have are Runescape which stop using it and Minecraft where it's not a technically impressive game. (It's a pretty good game even when it was only develop by one person but it's not technically impressive)

Otherwise it's a random guy on the web that I have no idea of what his background is versu the multitude of teacher that told me "don't even touch it use something else".

There aren't a lot of examples to show you. Most developers don't write their own engines instead they license them from other developers and once again, there aren't a lot of things already made for Java. In the C, C# and C++ realm you have things like Source, Unity, CryEngine, ID Tech, Unreal, etc. Java is fast enough for pretty much anything, but there aren't a lot of game development related things pre-made and ready to go for a new company.

Also, Jagex hasn't dropped Java; The HTML5 version of the game is simply an option, not to mention the fact that the backend is still entirely Java and their in-house scripting language.

i use http://www.tutorialspoint.com/ for any programming language i need. pretty informative website  :)

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

just asking but isnt ur question about java and if im not mistaken codecademy does not have any thing about java

i7-4930k   3xEvga gtx 780OC DC2 3gb    32gb corsair vengeance 2133mhz    asus rampage 4 extreme black  ~2 tb of ssd space

my speedtest 1932mbit down / 497mbit up  custom water cooled

Minecraft and Runescape used Java and the reason they run poorly is because of that, you're better off using something else, but what I do not know I'm wondering that myself.

(You can try Unity if you want but it's an engine and not a IDE)

Dnd like game, I tried to make that for my final project in CÉGEP (aka college) with another guy, let just say it was a big fail and we had to restart a new project 3 or 4 weeks before the dead line.

Minecraft is coded in C++, google it

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Hi I wanted to start to learn how to code Java because I want to see if I can make a simple game for myself. I have no programming experience in Java or any other language so I wanted to see if anyone knew any resources online, books, videos, etc. Thank you

TheNewBoston on Youtube does good tutorials. :)

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

Minecraft is coded in Java. Unless you're talking about the Xbox or iOS versions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minecraft

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

Minecraft is coded in Java. Unless you're talking about the Xbox or iOS versions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minecraft

I remember seeing Objective C, but I was wrong :P

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I remember seeing Objective C, but I was wrong :P

The iOS version is Objective-C as that's all the iPhone knows. However C and C++ code is valid Objective-C code in the same way C code is valid C++ code. So the basic game may be written in C++ but anything that uses the phone (graphics, audio, input, networking, etc) has to be Objective-C.

The iOS version is Objective-C as that's all the iPhone knows. However C and C++ code is valid Objective-C code in the same way C code is valid C++ code. So the basic game may be written in C++ but anything that uses the phone (graphics, audio, input, networking, etc) has to be Objective-C.

Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up!

the majority of mine craft is in java the only thing in C++ is the launcher

i7-4930k   3xEvga gtx 780OC DC2 3gb    32gb corsair vengeance 2133mhz    asus rampage 4 extreme black  ~2 tb of ssd space

the majority of mine craft is in java the only thing in C++ is the launcher

Yeah I got corrected

Yeah I got corrected

thought u might and btw Objective-C only runs on apple devices

thought u might and btw Objective-C only runs on apple devices

That sucks, so if I write the code for an app, what changes will I have to make to port from Java to Objective C.

That sucks, so if I write the code for an app, what changes will I have to make to port from Java to Objective C.

You will need to rewrite the entire thing.

This is one of the main benefits of the MVC pattern (which you should certainly be using if you're writing in Java). While you still can't copy and paste, it's makes things much easier to port. Models will typically just be directly translating from 1 language to the other, Views will usually be built using the GUI builder in XCode. The controllers are the only thing that actually take some work because they completely depend on what platform you're programming for. But it's still much easier to handle MVC code than if you just throw all the code into random classes no matter what its function is.

So basically code smart now and porting is "easy".