10Gbe Peer to Peer Desktop to UNRAID Server

Riotz

Hello, hoping someone has done this before and can help with getting the right configuration in place. So I just built a new server which is running on a Gigabyte GA-7PESH2. This board has 2x 10Gbe RJ-45 ports on it. I got an ASUS XG-C100C card for my desktop to also give it 10Gbe RJ-45. I have Eth0 on the server connected to my Gigabit switch so it can get internet and to allow access to my Plex Media Server when I get things set up. What I am trying to get working now is for Eth1 to be connected to the ASUS XG-C100C card so that I can move media to the UNRAID server at 10Gbe. I can't seem to get this working.

I've assigned IPs on a different subnet to Eth1 and to the ASUS card. I also increased the MTU to 9014 on both. Then I mapped a share using the IP for Eth1 but when I copy data across it only goes at 1Gbe. What am I doing wrong here? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

UNRAID Server Hardware Config:

image.png.78e31ede043c44b9b615c37b31375e29.png

UNRAID Network Config:

image.png.c7625ed73fb858c372478dadc7596a22.png

Desktop Hardware Config:

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    16.0 GB

Network Adapter    ASUS XG-C100C

Desktop Network Config:

image.png.ce7cafcf6741ef2c728a4afd67c1cec7.png

Config looks good. Where you moving files between drives that support 10 gigabit speeds (1 gigabyte per second)?

try running a ram drive on both sides and testing it

Might not be the case, but you might need to tell windows to use the 10Gb connection as priority (change the index of the 10Gb connection to 1 and set the other 1Gb interface to 2).

21 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Might not be the case, but you might need to tell windows to use the 10Gb connection as priority (change the index of the 10Gb connection to 1 and set the other 1Gb interface to 2).

As long as he is using 10.10.10.1 to connect to the server OP should be using the 10Gb connection unless OPs main network also uses 10.0.0.0/8-24 which is probably not the case or if their upstream connection is NATed with that same address space in which case OP would have to add some rules or change the priority of the connection

btw I am guessing you can access the server via the 10Gb link but just can’t do 10Gb speeds

Thanks so much for the replies guys. Just wanted to add this update so that if anyone stumbles on this post they can learn from it. It turns out I was getting 10Gbe from the way I was set up. I thought there was a problem because I was not exceeding 160-180MB/s. The reason I was not getting any more speed / throughput through the 10Gbe link was because of an HDD bottleneck. Basically, I was copying data FROM a 10TB WD Red drive to an SSD drive. So the Red drive was maxed out. When I did a test from SSD to SSD this is what I was able to achieve:

image.png.509da46b5927260aec33598e9723c7cc.png

So the lesson is ... think about the entire path and the limits of all the tech being used.