Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
confused.cat

Magnet on fans?

56 minutes ago, Edwin_P said:

Haha I actually bought them for cheap in China xD.

I don't know exactly what kind of bearings they have, but I think they have "sleeve bearings"... I'm not a fan expert.. :D

Yea if it's sleeve bearing they're supposed to be mounted vertically, but strangely enough i've had this exact issue with EK's fluid bearings so not having sleeve bearings doesn't rule that out.

I've mounted my exhaust fans wiith magnets to the top of my server rack so as long as the magnets aren't really strong or on top of the center part you're fine.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi guys,

so I bought some PC-fans and installed them in my second rig. I mounted them on the bottom of the case so they push air to the graphics card. But I noticed very annoying noise coming from them when mounted this way.

When I mount them vertically, the noise disappears. I thought that the noise was caused by the hanging position of the fan blades, so I tried to counteract the gravity and to pull the fan blades up again in some way. I grabbed some relatively weak magnets and put them on the back of the fans. This seemed to solve the problem: the fans are very silent now.

But I have concerns about this method: Will it damage the fans? Will it shorten their lifespan?

what fans did you buy?

PSU Tier List Thread

"White Ice"

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus Crosshair VI Hero | EVGA RTX 2080ti Black | Flare X 16-16-16-32 3600mhz 16gb | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop | 1tb Samsung 970 Evo

Samsung 850 evo 250gb | 2x 3tb Seagate Drive | Fractal Design Meshify S2 |  EVGA G2 750w PSU | 2x Corsair LL140 | 3x Corsair LL120

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 1800x | Asrock B450M Pro 4 | 16gb G.Skill Flare X 3200mhz | EVGA B3 450w | EVGA GTX 1060 3gb | 250gb 860 Evo m.2 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | Elgato HD60 Pro | Elgato 4k60 Pro mk.2

Some really cheap fans do not like to be mounted this way.

I don't know exactly what kind of bearings they have, but I think they have "sleeve bearings"... I'm not a fan expert.. :D

Posted · Best Answer
56 minutes ago, Edwin_P said:

Yea if it's sleeve bearing they're supposed to be mounted vertically, but strangely enough i've had this exact issue with EK's fluid bearings so not having sleeve bearings doesn't rule that out.

I've mounted my exhaust fans wiith magnets to the top of my server rack so as long as the magnets aren't really strong or on top of the center part you're fine.

1 hour ago, Olaf6541 said:

Ok, nice. Thank you! :)