Windows 8.1 Update 1 - Shutdown on Start Screen and more power user focused

GoodBytes

Leaked images of Windows 8.1 Update 1, shows the direction that Microsoft is taking to prepare for the next generation of office, where it will fall with enterprise upgrade cycle (every 6 years), where they are focusing the OS to be more power user and enterprise focused, rather than home. Much like what Windows 7 was over Windows Vista. This is a direction that will please many here.

The new updates shows potential features that will be there at release. Please note that any changes that we see on these leaks may change until its release, and usually contains no polishing. Their goal is usually experimentation and test internally at Microsoft. Microsoft calls it 'Dog Feeding'.

As we already know so far, Windows 8.1 Update 1 will allow you to pin Windows 8 Apps (Modern UI apps), to the Start Screen, and is an option to allow you to do this or not. We don't know if they can in window mode yet.

New features shows one of the complaints I had with Windows 8, which is the having a shutdown button on the Start Screen. The downside of this, is that it can be accidentally taped on, on a touch screen device, hence why they didn't put one initially, based on Microsoft explanation. We don't know if that will be an option or it will be there for desktops/laptops, but not there for tablets running Windows or both. Also notice the search button, for those who didn't know you could always type on the start screen to search.

31189_original.jpg

It also has a normal right-click menu now on items:

31381_original.jpg

32672_original.jpg

What do you think of these changes? Do you think Microsoft is going the right direction for power users and enterprise?

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/25/5344066/windows-8-1-update-1-shutdown-start-screen-option-rumor

Source 2: http://wzascok.livejournal.com/12774.html

Yepp, good changes are always good. Now to put an option to switch between having a full size start screen and an start menu and 8 is UI wise complete!

Harr, darr and a couple of....... plastic earings?

LTC Wallet: LMiWdifKAN546FjyRspfhmfBWidyRPeEUK

Wouldn't mind having a small start menu that could look like windows phone 8 ui.

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Thank god, I was getting sick and tired of going to to the Charms bar to shutdown.

Its a real PITA on my HTPC where I use a wireless touchpad/keyboard combo.

No thanks microsoft I "did the switch" long ago.

Signatures are stupid.

I think most of what I saw when skimming looked good but though I like the right click menu it looks horrid and I hope it gets a makeover.

Thank god, I was getting sick and tired of going to to the Charms bar to shutdown.

Win+I -> power button :)

I think most of what I saw when skimming looked good but though I like the right click menu it looks horrid and I hope it gets a makeover.

It would be nice to have it in Metro... but I have a feeling that Microsoft will please Power Users, and keep it old Windows style, as you see above.

Ah crap... should have known there would be a shortcut for it. I've been doing Win+C then settings.

Thanks man.

In 8.1? Just Win+X and itll pop right up in that menu. You can also right click start. One option would be to setup the power button to shutdown instead of sleep so you just press it once and its the same as any other method.

It would be nice to have it in Metro... but I have a feeling that Microsoft will please Power Users, and keep it old Windows style, as you see above.

Yes I like it there but they should style to fit in more in that pic its a eyesore.

Ah crap... should have known there would be a shortcut for it. I've been doing Win+C then settings.

Thanks man.

See my suggestions above.

In 8.1? Just Win+X and itll pop right up in that menu. You can also right click start. One option would be to setup the power button to shutdown instead of sleep so you just press it once and its the same as any other method.

Yes I like it there but they should style to fit in more in that pic its a eyesore.

See my suggestions above.

I'm still running 8 on most of my computers, I'm not used to the new layout of Windows Explorer yet so I'm waiting to upgrade them until I am more familiar with it on the one computer I upgraded to 8.1.

I'm still running 8 on most of my computers, I'm not used to the new layout of Windows Explorer yet so I'm waiting to upgrade them until I am more familiar with it on the one computer I upgraded to 8.1.

dont bother with 8 just upgrade all to 8.1 since it free and has many needed improvements. Also you can do Win+D then Alt+F4 and itll bring up the shutdown prompt.

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

create shortcut and target " C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0 " instant shutdown button on startscreen

post-16156-0-88929300-1390683265_thumb.p

Just a guy with a beard

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

create shortcut and target " C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0 " instant shutdown button on startscreen

I should have complained about this a long time ago haha. Thanks.

Right click start icon and shut down from there.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx