World of Warcraft without talent trees... doesn't that kinda suck?

Delicieuxz

I last played WoW during Burning Crusade days. I recently installed it to check it out before WoW Classic launches, and I was puzzled where the talents and character building aspects are. I thought they kick in at level 10, but I wasn't seeing any character-building. I looked it up, and talent trees have been gone from WoW since some patch, probably long ago.

I can't see how that makes sense as a thing to do. Isn't the most fun and personal aspect of building a character and levelling up getting those points to distribute to build a character to your own vision? What does the game have now - like, just select between pre-set character modes? I'm not sure because I haven't played much of it.

I think it's really dumb that talent trees are gone. It seems like a dumbing-down of the game and a loss of what is one of, and for some people, I'm sure, the most value-giving experiences for the player.

WoW Classic is going to be all the more better than updated WoW because it still has that articulate character-building feature.

Tell me what you think.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

WoW is a dead game now IMO. It is slowly killing itself. I think people remember classic for the wrong reasons and dont remember the horrible grind it was just to level up... hell, I remember grinding mobs in the Barrens for half a level or more because there werent enough quests to cover it all so I could advance on to the next. I think once people actually remember and see what it was like, they will not want anything to do with it. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

8 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I think people remember classic for the wrong reasons and dont remember the horrible grind it was just to level up

Horrible?  The grind was half of the fun! 

People had respect for a lvl 60 BITD because it was such hard work to get there.  If you had a couple epic items you were the center of attention wherever you went.  Now every 9 year old that has been casually playing for a month has half a dozen lvl 120 characters with full epic gear and probably quite a bit of "legendary" items.

Been playing WoW from Vanilla to WotLK.  I quit when it became too easy to level up. 

Recently had a go on a couple of Vanilla servers, but they sucked either due to technical reasons or because of the kind of players they attracted.  The game itself still was fun though.

When rare gear is handed out left and right, then it isn't rare gear and it doesn't feel like anything special. When mounts, levels, and abilities are easy to come by, then having them loses significance. When there aren't accomplishments behind the status, then the status isn't meaningful.

Modern WoW seems like it's sort of a mental fake-out, pretending that all these things are epic when they aren't, they're just normal.

Here are a couple of videos of I guess popular WoW players, who've played WoW Classic and thought it was all rose-coloured glasses and they wouldn't like it, but who really enjoyed it when they played it.

This guy says a few times in his first-impression video that he was sure he wasn't going to like it, but he ended up loving it.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

WoW have been dead for years. f that game and their insanely idiotic marketing ideas.. you can buy gold FROM Blizzard now ! like what the ****... i have hope for WoW Classic but knowing how they run their ship it will most likely be screwed up 2-3 months after release, when the people who are just there for the hype realize that wow used to be an insanely grindy and hard game. and then blizz slams on the emergency button and start filling it with their usual BS. 

WoW talent trees have been gone since Mists of Pandaria, if memory serves. The new talent "trees" where you freely change special abilities and the like are actually really good and have a huge effect on how a class/spec is played.

As for the state of WoW, it has been declining ever since Wrath of the Bitch King made the game super idiot-friendly and bombarded said idiots with epics. They tried to get back on track with Cataclysm, but by then it was too late, the community was already too used to game being easy.

Despite this, Mists of Pandaria and Cataclysm were extremely entertaining to me. Warlords of Draenor and Legion killed the game by introducing RNG into gear progression and making everything feel even less like an accomplishment. 

I'm going to be getting WoW Classic just so a real life friend and I could gank the crap out of the alliance all day long while we level up, but I can't see myself playing on once I reach max level. 

EDIT: In truth, I doubt I'll be able to play WoW Classic for more than a month. Two, tops. The truth is, what made WoW Classic & TBC so legendary was that, back at the time they came out, no other game really offered the kind of massive world and community that WoW did, not to mention the two factions and the deep lore from WarCraft 3.

Nowadays, WarCraft lore has been dragged through the mud, and a million other games offer everything WoW did. On top of it all, we're all 15 years older and couldn't give two craps about grinding for months for some purple item in a vidya game. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

4 hours ago, Giganthrax said:

-snip-

you won't be max level in 1 month im just saying xD 

6 hours ago, Norwegiantweaker said:

I don't have to be. What vanilla is really about for me and my friend is world pvp. I can see us having a blast at the alliance's expense for a month or two before we get bored. xD

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

On 5/27/2019 at 3:29 PM, Skiiwee29 said:

I think people remember classic for the wrong reasons and dont remember the horrible grind it was just to level up

Several streamers who had said classic was terrible have changed their mind after playing the classic beta. 

On 5/27/2019 at 3:29 PM, Skiiwee29 said:

WoW is a dead game now IMO. It is slowly killing itself. I think people remember classic for the wrong reasons and dont remember the horrible grind it was just to level up... hell, I remember grinding mobs in the Barrens for half a level or more because there werent enough quests to cover it all so I could advance on to the next. I think once people actually remember and see what it was like, they will not want anything to do with it. 

thats where you're wrong. that's the reason people liked it. it actually gave you something in return for working your ass off. having 3 max level chars with some epic and blues were an actual feat. now you can do it in casually with one week or even buy the level boost. and if you had to grind barrens because there weren't any other quests you were doing it wrong. there are so insanely many ways to "grind" xp in classic. 

The only posiitive about the old talent system was you got something everytime you leveled. That's it. Most of it was nothing but boring ass passive filler talents. And yes, cookie cutter specs existed back then. So please don't come at me with the "you had a bunch of different options" bs. 

On 5/28/2019 at 4:44 AM, Norwegiantweaker said:

Many people will be max level 4 weeks into classic. Just look at any of the numerous private server launches in the past few years. This isn't some new game like it was back in 04. Anyone can read up or watch leveling guides. There's going to be questing addons prior to classics launch. Also, lots of people already know the quests they're going to be doing because they've leveled through it a few times prior to Cataclysm. 

17 hours ago, BobbyPdue said:

Several streamers who had said classic was terrible have changed their mind after playing the classic beta. 

People paid to play games say they were wrong after playing the beta thats all the rage atm. Totally surprised there. 

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

The vanilla talent trees gave a great illusion of choice. The current model gives more actual flexibility and choice within a single spec. 

Though, the overall game now is meh while the excitement for Classic is massive.

On 5/29/2019 at 12:14 PM, plsno said:

People paid to play games say they were wrong after playing the beta thats all the rage atm. Totally surprised there.

That does not mean they hated the game and lied about it.  Streamers get paid for their personality and not for saying what companies want to hear. 

On 5/29/2019 at 2:05 PM, JabroniBaloney said:

The vanilla talent trees gave a great illusion of choice. The current model gives more actual flexibility and choice within a single spec. 

Though, the overall game now is meh while the excitement for Classic is massive

There is actual choice in Vanilla a person could pick whatever they wanted whether it was the best spec or not and talents could be chosen to help leveling or to complete trivial content faster. In classic the player actually gets a reward for every level after level 9 and only had to go up 59 levels.  In the current version of wow a player gets so little for leveling up 119 times.