Buzzing through Microphone

Bayfish
Go to solution Solved by Atmos,
22 minutes ago, Bayfish said:

I use Discord, but I'm testing it also on OBS and Audacity of which the issue still occurs. I also just tried it on my brothers PC and the issue still appears there too.. so it looks like it could be an audio cable problem?

Either just needs to be properly leveled for speaking, or its a problem inside the headset or just a poor quality microphone. The reviews I've seen say that its a good microphone, but I wouldnt really put my weight behind a 65$ headset/mic combo and expect the moon.

56 minutes ago, Bayfish said:

EDIT: The buzzing seems to stop when I touch my computer case with my hand, if this is any help.

wait

Grounding yourself makes it stop. So its just a grounding issue lol... USB audio interface will probably fix the issue.

I personally use a sound blaster xg1 for my sennheisers (as much as that will make audiophiles cringe) but it works well enough and drove my Hyperx cloud IIs for like two years and my sennheisers perfectly for another two years ontop of that, so at least for me it works quite well. It also supports that single 4-pole 3.5mm that your headset uses.

amazon link to what I personally use, and would vouch for at a relatively low price. https://www.amazon.com/Creative-BlasterX-Portable-Gaming-70SB171000000/dp/B01DLY3IW8/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=sound+blasterx&qid=1558956080&s=gateway&sr=8-6-spell

I have a Cooler Master MH751 Headset and every time I talk there is a subtle buzzing in the background of my voice. There is also points where the buzzing will become super loud if I move myself to a certain position. I've tried adjusting the sound settings and different ports - all do not defeat the buzzing. 

I've heard that using a standalone sound card might help this issue but wondering if anyone else has any ideas, thanks

EDIT: The buzzing seems to stop when I touch my computer case with my hand, if this is any help.

Edited by Bayfish
Updated info.

5 minutes ago, Baifish said:

I have a Cooler Master MH751 Headset and every time I talk there is a subtle buzzing in the background of my voice. There is also points where the buzzing will become super loud if I move myself to a certain position. I've tried adjusting the sound settings and different ports - all do not defeat the buzzing. 

I've heard that using a standalone sound card might help this issue but wondering if anyone else has any ideas, thanks!

Are you connecting the headset via your front panel audio ports? Or the rear, motherboard IO directly.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

1 minute ago, Atmos said:

Are you connecting the headset via your front panel audio ports? Or the rear, motherboard IO directly.

Currently through the motherboard IO, I have tried using the front IO and it makes little difference

Just now, Baifish said:

Currently through the motherboard IO, I have tried using the front IO and it makes little difference

As long as the motherboard you are using isn't trash tier, then a standalone sound card will likely not increase sound quality then from the microphone.

Now, obviously you dont actually have a fan or anything on in your background right?

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Just now, Atmos said:

As long as the motherboard you are using isn't trash tier, then a standalone sound card will likely not increase sound quality then from the microphone.

Now, obviously you dont actually have a fan or anything on in your background right?

My motherboard is a MSI X370 Gaming Titanium so I don't think it's trash tier - and there is no other electrical items on that could cause sound/interference

10 minutes ago, Bayfish said:

My motherboard is a MSI X370 Gaming Titanium so I don't think it's trash tier - and there is no other electrical items on that could cause sound/interference

Yeah, the integrated sound card on that motherboard is already perfectly adequate for such a simple mic like that. Its even shielded to help with a bit of EM interference and physical damage. sounds honestly to me like it could be a few things then.

Either the cable included is really poorly insulated and picking up too much environmental interference. Google reviews though dont point towards that.

Or you've got a bad connection either in the headset itself, or at the computer. Having tried different ports though apparently, and the headset being new, that wouldnt make much sense but is still possible.

As unlikely as I think it would be based off that motherboard, I guess theres still the chance that the motherboard simply cannot output the power to drive the relatively low impedance of the headset and the microphone off a single 4-pole 3.5mm. Typically though when output power from a sound card is insufficient the sound will be extremely poor, not just introduce slight buzzing.

Or, could just be a software issue. I'd first disable any kind of automatic mic gain because you're not a villain and can probably properly balance mic levels. Auto-gains also make background static or noise unbearable if you stop talking for any period of time. Maybe that if not done already will bring what ever static you're picking up low enough that its no longer an issue.

Thats about all I've got. Maybe some other audio genius can whip in here and throw some more stuff your way.

4 minutes ago, Atmos said:

Yeah, the integrated sound card on that motherboard is already perfectly adequate for such a simple mic like that. Its even shielded to help with a bit of EM interference and physical damage. sounds honestly to me like it could be a few things then.

Either the cable included is really poorly insulated and picking up too much environmental interference. Google reviews though dont point towards that.

Or you've got a bad connection either in the headset itself, or at the computer. Having tried different ports though apparently, and the headset being new, that wouldnt make much sense but is still possible.

As unlikely as I think it would be based off that motherboard, I guess theres still the chance that the motherboard simply cannot output the power to drive the relatively low impedance of the headset and the microphone off a single 4-pole 3.5mm. Typically though when output power from a sound card is insufficient the sound will be extremely poor, not just introduce slight buzzing.

Or, could just be a software issue. I'd first disable any kind of automatic mic gain because you're not a villain and can probably properly balance mic levels. Auto-gains also make background static or noise unbearable if you stop talking for any period of time. Maybe that if not done already will bring what ever static you're picking up low enough that its no longer an issue.

Thats about all I've got. Maybe some other audio genius can whip in here and throw some more stuff your way.

I'll take a look at these, thanks! I'm not sure if it will be software because I just freshly installed Windows around a week ago so I have almost no other software installed (I have the sound drivers though). 

1 minute ago, Bayfish said:

I'll take a look at these, thanks! I'm not sure if it will be software because I just freshly installed Windows around a week ago so I have almost no other software installed (I have the sound drivers though). 

What program are you using to talk to others?

Teamspeak? Discord? Auto gains would be handled through what ever voip you're using.

5 minutes ago, Atmos said:

What program are you using to talk to others?

Teamspeak? Discord? Auto gains would be handled through what ever voip you're using.

I use Discord, but I'm testing it also on OBS and Audacity of which the issue still occurs. I also just tried it on my brothers PC and the issue still appears there too.. so it looks like it could be an audio cable problem?

22 minutes ago, Bayfish said:

Either just needs to be properly leveled for speaking, or its a problem inside the headset or just a poor quality microphone. The reviews I've seen say that its a good microphone, but I wouldnt really put my weight behind a 65$ headset/mic combo and expect the moon.

56 minutes ago, Bayfish said:

wait

Grounding yourself makes it stop. So its just a grounding issue lol... USB audio interface will probably fix the issue.

I personally use a sound blaster xg1 for my sennheisers (as much as that will make audiophiles cringe) but it works well enough and drove my Hyperx cloud IIs for like two years and my sennheisers perfectly for another two years ontop of that, so at least for me it works quite well. It also supports that single 4-pole 3.5mm that your headset uses.

amazon link to what I personally use, and would vouch for at a relatively low price. https://www.amazon.com/Creative-BlasterX-Portable-Gaming-70SB171000000/dp/B01DLY3IW8/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=sound+blasterx&qid=1558956080&s=gateway&sr=8-6-spell

1 minute ago, Atmos said:

wait

Grounding yourself makes it stop. So its just a cheap internals grounding issue lol... USB audio interface will probably fix the issue.

So I should just buy a USB -> Audio ports interface? 

Also do you mean cheap ground internals in the case or the headset?

Just now, Bayfish said:

So I should just buy a USB -> Audio ports interface? 

Also do you mean cheap ground internals in the case or the headset?

Poorly grounded internals in the headset. I'd go for the usb dac, its easier to install, cheaper in most cases, and will likely fix the issue all the same.

23 minutes ago, Atmos said:

Poorly grounded internals in the headset. I'd go for the usb dac, its easier to install, cheaper in most cases, and will likely fix the issue all the same.

Ah cheers! I'll order the one you recommended! Thanks so much ?

20 hours ago, KuJoe said:

I use this one and it's amazing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0171PQLB8

Here's a video I did that shows with or without the noise isolator (around the 2:10 mark, be careful if you have headphones because music will start playing after the static):

Wasnt aware devices like this existed. Another great solution for solving grounding errors.

23 hours ago, Atmos said:

wait

Hey my G1 arrived today and I'm sorry to say that the problem still persists ? I'm pretty sure now it's a headphone fault, like you said, thanks for your help none the less though ?

21 hours ago, KuJoe said:

I use this one and it's amazing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0171PQLB8

Here's a video I did that shows with or without the noise isolator (around the 2:10 mark, be careful if you have headphones because music will start playing after the static):

I did try one of these, but my issue is with the microphone not the playbck. These isolators can't transmit the microphone signal so I get no microphone output out of them if I use it.

That's strange, I have this on my line out port on my gaming PC that connects to the Line In port on my streaming PC. I figured it would work the same for a Mic In port.

-KuJoe

On 5/28/2019 at 3:47 AM, Bayfish said:

Hey my G1 arrived today and I'm sorry to say that the problem still persists ? I'm pretty sure now it's a headphone fault, like you said, thanks for your help none the less though ?

Really? Like, really? Thats actually really surprising. Nothing i've read in reviews of the headset gave it marks for negative mic quality, they all gloated that for the price it sounded great. Its genuinely surprising that a usb dac didnt solve your grounding issue. Not quite so surprising though to hear a grounding loop cut off mic though, because it most likely was only made to accept a 3-pole 3.5mm input, instead of the 4-pol 3.5mm your headset uses.

If its an issue with the mic genuinely then, then the issue will have to either be dealt with in your VOIP mic settings to get it as good sounding as it can get and bearable, or returned to the store bought from because of a faulty product, or something else along those lines. I'm really sorry to hear i advised you to buy something that didn't end up working, hopefully you can figure out a solution though, and at least on the downside you've got a g1 usb dac that will work with just about any headsets, well if you decide to keep it.

• 7 months later...

@Bayfish did you ever figure out the issue? I have the same headphones and same issue. I noticed the buzzing goes away if I turn down the levels and mic boost in windows mic settings. But then obviously my voice comes through way too soft. Might return the headset, or just buy a standalone mic.