AMD RX 5700 Navi New arch

Firewrath9

AMD has launched their new arch, past GCN which was originally introduced with the 7970 (Tahiti IIRC).

The naming scheme will be RX 5000, or an extra 0 past RX 500.

1.25x peformance per clock

(source: Lisa Su)

RX 5700 (midrange?) beats RX 2070 in strange brigade by 10%, so similar to V64. Much smaller die, no HBM, so GDDR6.

My expected price is ~400-450$. Keep in mind AMD's profit margins are really low, 1/6 of intel, 1/3 of Nvidia)

More news at E3 2019, June 10.

Edit: I'll be sleeping now, 11:10. GN everyone

Edit 2: 180W lower clocked SKU and 225W SKU (regular), and 150W SKU

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-5000-navi-gpu-7nm-asrock-two-variants-report/

Could this be a RX 5700 XT (225) Pro (180)?

or perhaps a mITX version like V56

RX 5700 XT is ~10% better than RTX 2070, 450$

RX 5700 is ~15% better than RTX 2060, 380??

oh and R5 3600(X), 200/250$

13 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

The naming scheme will be RX 5000

High Quality CONFUSED MATH LADY Blank Meme Template

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

I wonder if it's as good in computing as Vega is.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Nobody saw THAT coming!

Neither GCN - as many people claimed.

Neither named as any one said it would...

Just take the RX 570 and add another zero, call it a day.

And troll the Competition, who wanted a trademark on the Numbers :D

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

It kind of has me worried that they used Strange Brigade for their benchmarks for it to be honest. It's a new architecture, but I don't see it as unlikely that it'd take some level of design queues from what they already have? Also notable is that they did 5700 vs 2070 instead of 5800 vs 2080, because in their CES keynote they were showing the Radeon VII having closer to 20% better performance than the 2080 whereas the 5700 only has 10% better performance than the 2070. So maybe the 5800 performs worse than the Radeon VII? Or maybe the Radeon VII's running on Vega made it more capable in that game than the 5800 in spite of its likely being based off of it (And GCN), and the 5800 outperforms it in other titles? But does that mean that in other Vulkan titles AMD's old hardware will beat their new hardware? It'll be good to have the benchmarks in so we can get some decent clarification on this stuff, because it all seems rather odd. I have higher hopes for the CPU than GPU side of things either way.

"uhhhhhhhhhh yeah id go with the 2600 its a good value for the money"

31 minutes ago, 2SidedPolygon said:

It kind of has me worried that they used Strange Brigade for their benchmarks for it to be honest.

Yeah, the game heavily favored Radeon cards.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Please work with single slot brackets without modification.

Please work with single slot brackets without modification.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Regarding the architecture.

On the one hand 1.25 times higher IPC for Navi compared to Vega is seriously impressive. That means that a hypothetical big Navi card with 60 CUs at Radeon 7 clocks and memory bandwidth levels will actually be a RTX 2080 ti competitor. This is without even considering the possibility of additional CUs...

On the other hand strange brigade is a cherry picked benchmark. Look at the numbers

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-radeon-vii-16-gb-review,15.html

The Vega 64 is already beating the RTX 2070  in this game. So this particular new Navi part looks to be no faster than the Vega 64.

Putting all the above data together what we can gather from this is that the new architecture is more efficient than Vega in geometry performance and work done per clock cycle. But AMD has not yet been able to turn it into ground breaking SKUs. That could be because they are not hitting the clockspeeds they want, or that they are still have a way to go with driver optimization because this is such a new architecture.

35 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Yeah, the game heavily favored Radeon cards.

Yep, based on this the new Navi card has Vega 64 performance, nothing more.

32 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Yep, based on this the new Navi card has Vega 64 performance, nothing more.

Whilst i suspect your probably right, without knowing exactly how new RDNA is, (it could be a GCN refresh rebrand), thats a dangerous assumption to make. We saw with Turing that NVIDIA deliberately targeted performance in area's AMD is normally strong in.If it's more than just a rebranding AMD may well have done the same. If so that would have major implications on things. I agree strange Brigade was probably chosen because it's a favourable benchmark, but it would be dangerous to assume that AMD's weakest area's are the same.

Anyway i think it's almost my bedtime so i'll have to pick this up in the morning.

1 hour ago, CarlBar said:

Whilst i suspect your probably right, without knowing exactly how new RDNA is, (it could be a GCN refresh rebrand), thats a dangerous assumption to make. We saw with Turing that NVIDIA deliberately targeted performance in area's AMD is normally strong in.If it's more than just a rebranding AMD may well have done the same. If so that would have major implications on things. I agree strange Brigade was probably chosen because it's a favourable benchmark, but it would be dangerous to assume that AMD's weakest area's are the same.

Anyway i think it's almost my bedtime so i'll have to pick this up in the morning.

There is no way the architecture is a rebrand. From what we have heard they had loads of engineers working on this for years, it's not a rebrand.

However it may inherit a lot of things from GCN. I don't think they would have gone in and redesigned every single thing, they would have focused on areas identified as bottlenecks and just tweaked the rest.

SOooo What I am getting here is.... don't preorder cause even then it doesn't seem like the card we all want 

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

is it even preorderable now ._.

Now for preorder, a chance to preorder!

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

To summarize

-RDNA replaces GCN as the new longterm macro-architecture 

-RDNA has allowed 25% better IPC and 1.5 times better performance per watt.

-PCIE 4.0 supported

-Higher clock speeds than GCN

-Compute Units have been redesigned, and the 4096 SP limit is gone

-Navi is merely the first micro-architecture under RDNA.

-Navi is a gamer focused part

20190527_104107.jpg

https://wccftech.com/amd-rdna-macro-architecture/

What the hell is with the stream video? Was it recorded at 10fps or something!?

Another ridiculous naming scheme that makes no sense...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Given how much were told about RDNA (almost nothing) I don't feel comfortable making any conclusions about what RDNA is.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

Another ridiculous naming scheme that makes no sense...

What's weird is that they just keep tossing out the model numbers with no consistency. It's why we were all WTF when NVIDIA launched GTX 1600 that doesn't fit anywhere naming scheme wise.

Why hasn't AMD started with AMD Radeon RX 1700 ? And then RX 2700 and RX 3700 etc. It's how it was done for decades now. Coz if you plan on just throwing out random model numbers, why not stick with names? Radeon RX Navi ? What's wrong with that? Sounds cool and is about as helpful as throwing RX 5700 out of the blue.

Just now, RejZoR said:

{...]Why hasn't AMD started with AMD Radeon RX 1700 ? And then RX 2700 and RX 3700 etc. It's how it was done for decades now. Coz if you plan on just throwing out random model numbers, why not stick with names? Radeon RX Navi ? What's wrong with that? Sounds cool and is about as helpful as throwing RX 5700 out of the blue.

Just a wild guess, but maybe AMD didn't want to use names/numbers that remind people of Gen1 Ryzen for their new graphics cards.  The added 0 also suggests a large increase in performance, which is probably what the marketing people were aiming for.
Personally, I don't care too much about the name on the label, I care about the product itself.

Can't wait to see more in-depth info regarding RDNA, what it has to offer and what are its benefits. No mention of Ray Tracing, so I'm wondering what do they have up their sleeves with it considering they have long term plans for it.

6 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Can't wait to see more in-depth info regarding RDNA, what it has to offer and what are its benefits. No mention of Ray Tracing, so I'm wondering what do they have up their sleeves with it considering they have long term plans for it.

I think they won't talk about Ray Tracing until Navi 20. Because they don't have it for now, so making a big deal about it just diverts attention to Nvidia RTX products.

In terms of architecture what will be impressive is if the GPU shown off turns out to be a part with only ~40 CUs. But still providing Vega 64 performance.

That will be a good indication of RDNA's potential regardless of the merits of any particular SKU.

14 minutes ago, Humbug said:

In terms of architecture what will be impressive is if the GPU shown off turns out to be a part with only ~40 CUs. But still providing Vega 64 performance.

That will be a good indication of RDNA's potential regardless of the merits of any particular SKU.

Hell, just look at Radeon VII. They cut 4 CU's away and ended up having higher performance than with Vega 64.

4 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Hell, just look at Radeon VII. They cut 4 CU's away and ended up having higher performance than with Vega 64.

Yes but that was just due to higher clockspeeds and more memory bandwidth. Not architectural improvements. 4 CUs is not a lot.

According to Lisa Navi as the first iteration of RDNA has 25% better IPC than the Vega family. Which means that if they make a Navi card with 60 CUs and the same clocks and bandwidth as Radeon 7 it will perform like the RTX 2080ti.

There is no confirmation whether this is GCN or not. In all likelihood it's an overhauled GCN with some big improvements (probably some backported stuff from whatever next gen arch they're working on). Considering the Linux kernel still refers to it as GCN it's probably a much improved GCN. Anandtech also says AMD kept quiet about what kind of beast this is and not mentioning the word GCN at all.