Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
YaBoiWill

HyperV question

Posted · Original PosterOP

This will probs be a really simple answer, but...

So I have a few VM's in HyperV, a few windows ones and stuff, and one of these has a whole load of malware from a repository that I got off-line. Basically, it has about 230 types of cool things, and I find it cool to see what they do to the vm

This VM has no switch assigned to it, and as minimal services as possible, so no internet access etc (or at least I think)

My question - Is there a risk to my actual PC and in turn, the wider internet by running this VM and stuff like wanna cry? IK it was patched, but for the people who didn't update or whatever. 

I make intelligent lights do cool things

On 5/26/2019 at 11:09 PM, YaBoiWill said:

My question - Is there a risk to my actual PC and in turn, the wider internet by running this VM and stuff like wanna cry? IK it was patched, but for the people who didn't update or whatever. 

Yes, unless you got a seperate NIC for your vSwitch there is a direct network connection to your hyper-visor. There are also tricks to escape to the hyper-visior even without a network connection.

Putting that thing on the internet is endangering other people. Worst case scenario: your malware infested f-fest is used to attack critical infrastructure and people actually die as a result of it. Nuke it.