Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Antman507

Stupid Question

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Most likely a really stupid question with an obvious answer but does better cpu cooling effect heat output to my room? Just wondering as it already gets stupidly hot im my room and was wondering if cooling made a difference

Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont think so because the computer produces a certain amount of heat and the coolers job is to dissipate it so i dont think so. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

No, better cooling won't reduce the amount of heat produced. 


If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes better cooling will extract the heat more from your cpu hence the increase of air temp in the room.

Make sure the room is well ventilated / have AC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Yes better cooling will extract the heat more from your cpu hence the increase of air temp in the room.

Make sure the room is well ventilated / have AC.

Better cooling just extracts heat more quickly but the amount of heat stays the same and so does the temperature of the room.


If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Better cooling just extracts heat more quickly but the amount of heat stays the same and so does the temperature of the room.

Not necessarily. We should be talking about case ventilation rather than CPU cooler capacity. If the case is thermally insulated (poor airflow) from the rest of the room, then more heat will stay trapped inside. If the interior temperature of a case is cooler with the same workload compared to another case, then that requires more heat to be exhausted into the environment, warming up the room.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Better cooling just extracts heat more quickly but it doesn't extract any more heat. The amount of heat stays the same and so does the temperature of the room.

I find that hard to swallow. If the heatsink extract more heat the room temp will increase quicker, yes?

Later on that hot air will eventually made it back to the heatsink and it will also increase.

So the ambient will eventually reach an equilibrium with the CPU, assuming there's no heat exchange inside the room.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, badreg said:

Not necessarily. We should be talking about case ventilation rather than CPU cooler capacity. If the case is thermally insulated (poor airflow) from the rest of the room, then more heat will stay trapped inside. If the interior temperature of a case is cooler with the same workload compared to another case, then that requires more heat to be exhausted into the environment, warming up the room.

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

I find that hard to swallow. If the heatsink extract more heat the room temp will increase quicker, yes?

Later on that hot air will eventually made it back to the heatsink and it will also increase.

So the ambient will eventually reach an equilibrium with the CPU, assuming there's no heat exchange inside the room.

The rate of which the room increases in temperature is constant from the system heat. Better cooling would start the increase slightly sooner but the system would shut down due to insufficient cooling long before that makes any noticeable difference in room temperature.


If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

I find that hard to swallow. If the heatsink extract more heat the room temp will increase quicker, yes?

Later on that hot air will eventually made it back to the heatsink and it will also increase.

So the ambient will eventually reach an equilibrium with the CPU, assuming there's no heat exchange inside the room.

The CPU temp reaches an equilibrium when its power draw (which is converted into heat) equals the heat dissipation rate (which depends on the heatsink + cooling). In that case, the room (the air and everything else in it) will heat up with the computer's power output minus all the heat that goes somewhere else (e.g. outside). In a perfectly insulated room (which does not exist under real-world conditions), the room would heat up with a rate that directly depends on the computer's power output, so there would be no equilibrium (in that extreme case).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, greenhorn said:

The CPU temp reaches an equilibrium when its power draw (which is converted into heat) equals the heat dissipation rate (which depends on the heatsink + cooling). In that case, the room (the air and everything else in it) will heat up with the computer's power output minus all the heat that goes somewhere else (e.g. outside). In a perfectly insulated room (which does not exist under real-world conditions), the room would heat up with a rate that directly depends on the computer's power output, so there would be no equilibrium (in that extreme case).

Yes you are right there would be no equilibrium as the CPU also increase it's temp.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2019 at 3:32 PM, Antman507 said:

Most likely a really stupid question with an obvious answer but does better cpu cooling effect heat output to my room? Just wondering as it already gets stupidly hot im my room and was wondering if cooling made a difference

Others have already addressed the conservation of energy part of your question, so I won't add to that.

 

If your room is too hot for you to be comfortable you have really two choices.  You can either improve the air management of the room (A/C or fans) to balance it better with the rest of the living space, or reduce the power consumed by the components by down-clocking or power limiting.  Option two will reduce performance, but will reduce the heat output of the system.


i7 4790k - GTX 1080 - MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Fractal Design Define S - LOTS of Noctua cooling

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×