Stupid Question

Antman507

Most likely a really stupid question with an obvious answer but does better cpu cooling effect heat output to my room? Just wondering as it already gets stupidly hot im my room and was wondering if cooling made a difference

I dont think so because the computer produces a certain amount of heat and the coolers job is to dissipate it so i dont think so. 

No, better cooling won't reduce the amount of heat produced. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yes better cooling will extract the heat more from your cpu hence the increase of air temp in the room.

Make sure the room is well ventilated / have AC.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

12 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Yes better cooling will extract the heat more from your cpu hence the increase of air temp in the room.

Make sure the room is well ventilated / have AC.

Better cooling just extracts heat more quickly but the amount of heat stays the same and so does the temperature of the room.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

6 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Better cooling just extracts heat more quickly but the amount of heat stays the same and so does the temperature of the room.

Not necessarily. We should be talking about case ventilation rather than CPU cooler capacity. If the case is thermally insulated (poor airflow) from the rest of the room, then more heat will stay trapped inside. If the interior temperature of a case is cooler with the same workload compared to another case, then that requires more heat to be exhausted into the environment, warming up the room.

7 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Better cooling just extracts heat more quickly but it doesn't extract any more heat. The amount of heat stays the same and so does the temperature of the room.

I find that hard to swallow. If the heatsink extract more heat the room temp will increase quicker, yes?

Later on that hot air will eventually made it back to the heatsink and it will also increase.

So the ambient will eventually reach an equilibrium with the CPU, assuming there's no heat exchange inside the room.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, badreg said:

Not necessarily. We should be talking about case ventilation rather than CPU cooler capacity. If the case is thermally insulated (poor airflow) from the rest of the room, then more heat will stay trapped inside. If the interior temperature of a case is cooler with the same workload compared to another case, then that requires more heat to be exhausted into the environment, warming up the room.

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

I find that hard to swallow. If the heatsink extract more heat the room temp will increase quicker, yes?

Later on that hot air will eventually made it back to the heatsink and it will also increase.

So the ambient will eventually reach an equilibrium with the CPU, assuming there's no heat exchange inside the room.

The rate of which the room increases in temperature is constant from the system heat. Better cooling would start the increase slightly sooner but the system would shut down due to insufficient cooling long before that makes any noticeable difference in room temperature.

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

The CPU temp reaches an equilibrium when its power draw (which is converted into heat) equals the heat dissipation rate (which depends on the heatsink + cooling). In that case, the room (the air and everything else in it) will heat up with the computer's power output minus all the heat that goes somewhere else (e.g. outside). In a perfectly insulated room (which does not exist under real-world conditions), the room would heat up with a rate that directly depends on the computer's power output, so there would be no equilibrium (in that extreme case).

1 minute ago, greenhorn said:

The CPU temp reaches an equilibrium when its power draw (which is converted into heat) equals the heat dissipation rate (which depends on the heatsink + cooling). In that case, the room (the air and everything else in it) will heat up with the computer's power output minus all the heat that goes somewhere else (e.g. outside). In a perfectly insulated room (which does not exist under real-world conditions), the room would heat up with a rate that directly depends on the computer's power output, so there would be no equilibrium (in that extreme case).

Yes you are right there would be no equilibrium as the CPU also increase it's temp.

On 5/26/2019 at 3:32 PM, Antman507 said:

Most likely a really stupid question with an obvious answer but does better cpu cooling effect heat output to my room? Just wondering as it already gets stupidly hot im my room and was wondering if cooling made a difference

Others have already addressed the conservation of energy part of your question, so I won't add to that.

If your room is too hot for you to be comfortable you have really two choices.  You can either improve the air management of the room (A/C or fans) to balance it better with the rest of the living space, or reduce the power consumed by the components by down-clocking or power limiting.  Option two will reduce performance, but will reduce the heat output of the system.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15