Help needed cloning 128gb SSD M.2 / mSATA HDD to Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB

shadowcaz

Hi,

I use a Predator 17 G9-793-775G Laptop which has a single M.2 slot.

The laptop came with a pre-installed Lite-On 128gb Solid State Drive M.2 / mSATA. I plan to upgrade to a Samsung MZ-V7S500BW 970 EVO Plus 500 GB Solid State Drive.

I need to find a solution to clone my current OS drive to the new SSD.

Would this solution work:

- Buy NVMe to USB adaptor: 

Adwits USB 3.1 UASP Type-C to NVMe M.2 High-Performance PCIe SSD Adapter, Portable HDD Enclosure Case for Samsung, Kingston, ADATA, DREVO and More NVMe Internal Solid State Drive, Black

- Place new Samsung SSD into adaptor and connect via USB

- Clone existing drive to 970 Evo Plus (via USB adaptor) using macrium

- Place the cloned 970 Evo Plus into the laptop

I have a concern for the USB adaptor as the following is mentioned in the description: "To make a clone of your previous NVMe SSD, please beware that the Physical Sector Size might be different. And your cloning software might not be able to accept this conflict of physical sector difference and cause unsuccessful clone. You need to try different cloning software or use your NVMe SSD tool to change the physical sector size. For example Intel SSD Data Center Tool for intel NVMe SSD"

Would this be an issue?

Thank you

38 minutes ago, shadowcaz said:

Hi,

I use a Predator 17 G9-793-775G Laptop which has a single M.2 slot.

The laptop came with a pre-installed Lite-On 128gb Solid State Drive M.2 / mSATA. I plan to upgrade to a Samsung MZ-V7S500BW 970 EVO Plus 500 GB Solid State Drive.

I need to find a solution to clone my current OS drive to the new SSD.

Would this solution work:

- Buy NVMe to USB adaptor: 

Adwits USB 3.1 UASP Type-C to NVMe M.2 High-Performance PCIe SSD Adapter, Portable HDD Enclosure Case for Samsung, Kingston, ADATA, DREVO and More NVMe Internal Solid State Drive, Black

- Place new Samsung SSD into adaptor and connect via USB

- Clone existing drive to 970 Evo Plus (via USB adaptor) using macrium

- Place the cloned 970 Evo Plus into the laptop

I have a concern for the USB adaptor as the following is mentioned in the description: "To make a clone of your previous NVMe SSD, please beware that the Physical Sector Size might be different. And your cloning software might not be able to accept this conflict of physical sector difference and cause unsuccessful clone. You need to try different cloning software or use your NVMe SSD tool to change the physical sector size. For example Intel SSD Data Center Tool for intel NVMe SSD"

Would this be an issue?

Thank you

Is just reinstalling would not be a better option? Does your laptop comes with a hard drive also? You could make a backup of your current OS drive,save that to hard drive, remove your os drive, put the other one in and just restore from the backup your made and saved to your hard drive, it's not ideal, but should work if reinstalling is not an option, did that 4 times, used Acronis True Image. Would recommend reinstalling though,one time I did that,something got fucked and had to reinstall.

Edited by noxdeouroboros

Use Macrium Reflect. 

When you're done with the cloning, you'll need to head into Disk Management to extend the disk to full size. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Use Macrium Reflect. 

When you're done with the cloning, you'll need to head into Disk Management to extend the disk to full size. 

You can adjust sizes within Macrium Reflect so he should be golden.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Yes please!!!  check on the block sector thing i know if you get the wrong one it won't work!!