Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pentex

M.2s and SSDs

Posted · Original PosterOP

How can I differentiate between the two upon installing windows, lets say I want to install windows on the SSD, how do I know that it is the SSD and not the M.2 since they both have the same capacity?

1 minute ago, Pentex said:

How can I differentiate between the two upon installing windows, lets say I want to install windows on the SSD, how do I know that it is the SSD and not the M.2 since they both have the same capacity?

Go into the bios and change boot order to the m.2 ssd. Then install windows in it

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x 1.35V @ 4.1GhZ  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX (2*8) 16GB 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2Nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

If they are the same capacity (which I remember being the only easy visible thing in the W10 installer) I would honestly just unplug the drive you don't want to install Windows on.

Don't forgot the quote / @ me so I get a notification for your response. Quoting is the arrow button in the bottom left of my post.

"There's no such thing as perfect. You're beautiful as you are Courage. With all your imperfections you can do anything." - Bathtub Barracuda

Y O U C A N B E A D D I C T E D T O A C E R T A I N K I N D O F S A D D N E S S

"Wish i could find a way to stop the pain.         -         Besides the one that i keep thinking of."

"There's something wrong with the brain in my skeleton!!"

Gear:                    

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 ||

Motherboard: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon ||

RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz ||

GPU: Gigabyte Auros RX 580 4GB || 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB || 

Cooling: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 ||

Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG ||

PSU: Corsair RM750x ||

Peripherals:

Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 Ohm ||

Keyboard: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB ||

Graphics tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen Small (2015) ||

Mouse: Asus ROG Gladius ||

Mousepad: CM Storm Swift-RX XXL ||

Old PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 255 || Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO || RAM: 4x2GB DDR3 || GPU: Nvidia Quadro 512MB || Case: Antec Sonata III || PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W Bronze

Setup: Current setup

13 minutes ago, Minibois said:

I would honestly just unplug the drive you don't want to install Windows on.

Always install Windows with one drive installed, because windows has a nasty habit of making boot sectors on secondary drives.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

EVGA G3 thread, BR/BT threadSeasonic Focus thread, S12II/M12II thread, Userbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions

Posted · Original PosterOP

I see, seems that I will be connecting the M.2 only just for windows installation then create a new volume for both the SSD and the HDD.

Thanks for the help, really appreciate it!