First off,

apologies for everything I get wrong, category, name, spelling, you get the picture.

My problem was, my ds4 was not working on Linux mint 19, I saw this in Steam and RPCS3.

I knew everything should work and that it was software as I had just moved back to mint from Pop! (Sorry I like Cinnamon better) where everything had been working.

Anyway after too many hours googling and getting no place, I updated the kernel and now it works. (USB and Bluetooth)

So if you too are having trouble with your ds4 (or maybe ds3 as well) update your kernel.

update manager -> View -> linux kernels

See the warnings do a back up, yada yada

Install the latest. update at your own risk (5.0.0-15. at time of writing)

I hope this will help someone, sorry if you already new how to fix this...... I didn't. 

I wrote this because I saw no answer to my problem elsewhere, Just shearing the love :P

Good night.

TLDR:

This is what got it working for me,

Update your kernel, (I used 5.0.0-15.)

Update at your own risk

Wait... What does it mean it doesn't work?

The DS4 controller had drivers for ages, now what matters here is the way the DS4 controller is grabbed.

By default, evdev should be natively supported (wine games should be using this, as for native games) but steam big picture and RPCS3 have another method called "hidraw" so you should be installing some udev rules manually or either with the steam-devices package

22 hours ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

Wait... What does it mean it doesn't work?

The DS4 controller had drivers for ages, now what matters here is the way the DS4 controller is grabbed.

By default, evdev should be natively supported (wine games should be using this, as for native games) but steam big picture and RPCS3 have another method called "hidraw" so you should be installing some udev rules manually or either with the steam-devices package

Hi,

Yes it dose work now,

I'll update the original post to make that more plain to see.

Yes I knew it should work as I had it working the day before when i was using Pop OS,

It didn't work correctly out of the box With Mint 19.1. Now it dose with the updated kernel.

It did sort of work with evdev, but RPCS3 didn't play with it very well.

Out of the box Steam didn't recognize anything, Now that works too.

I don't know enough to know if "hidraw" was working or not, I'm going with not.

In my searches I did come across people saying to configure udev rules,

like :/lib/udev/rules.d/99-ds4-controllers.rules

I think there was another place as well.

There was no 99-ds4-controllers.rules when I first looked and I made them myself that still didn't work.

I did install the steam-devices package and that made no difference at the time.

Thank you for your reply,

I hope this has cleared up some.