How to make HDD cannot be detected with USB cable

_Hustler_One_

Hi everyone..

I have 2 unused HDD, I want to move some data from there to my PC using SATA-to-USB cable, but both drives cannot be detected by the PC when I connect them to all of the USB ports one by one on my PC using that cable. That cable is the only device I have to connect HDD externally to PC but apparently it doesn't work, or I might missed something. This is how that cable looks like,

Gambar terkait

How can I make my HDDs to be detected by PC using this cable?

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

What hard drives are we talking about?  2.5" or 3.5"?  

2.5" drives need 5V to run, which can be supplied by the USB port. 

3.5" drives need 12V, which a USB port can't deliver.  So those simply can't work with that kind of adapter.  You'll need something with a power brick/adapter for that.

7 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

What hard drives are we talking about?  2.5" or 3.5"?  

2.5" drives need 5V to run, which can be supplied by the USB port. 

3.5" drives need 12V, which a USB port can't deliver.  So those simply can't work with that kind of adapter.  You'll need something with a power brick/adapter for that.

Both drives. a Seagate Momentus 2.5" HDD and a WDC Blue 3.5" HDD.

Even if I plugged both USB ports at the same time still cant power them?

Both HDD cannot be detected by the system..

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

Well, the WD surely won't work for the reason I mentioned above. 

With both cables connected the Seagate should work though.  (assuming that the drive actually works and is partitioned in a format that your PC understands).  So I too am puzzled.

Thing is why is there 2 cords? Shoudn't there be only one? I too use an enclosure but it requires only one USB connector. And if I want to use a 3.5", I use a PSU to power the drive and use modded SATA cable to connect it to the enclosure.

1 hour ago, Tasnim7 said:

Thing is why is there 2 cords?

USB 2.0 ports can supply 0.5A per port.  Those 2.5" drives often need more, sometimes up to 0.8A.

The 2nd cable doesn't have a data connection, it only carries power. That way the load is less than 0.5A per port. 

3 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

USB 2.0 ports can supply 0.5A per port.  Those 2.5" drives often need more, sometimes up to 0.8A.

The 2nd cable doesn't have a data connection, it only carries power. That way the load is less than 0.5A per port. 

I have kind of the same thing, only with one cable, so I know it's possible with just one.

10 minutes ago, Tasnim7 said:

I have kind of the same thing, only with one cable, so I know it's possible with just one.

It is possible with USB 3.0, as that can handle 0.9A.  That cable you have is most likely a USB 3.0 one. 

5 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

It is possible with USB 3.0, as that can handle 0.9A.  That cable you have is most likely a USB 3.0 one. 

No, I have 3x USB 3.0 ports on the rear of my PC, I connected my HDDs with both end of the USB cable to 2 USB 3.0 ports at same time, the system still cant detect them. On the other end of the cable, the SATA plug which connects to the HDD there are 2 tiny LEDs as indicator of power and data, and they're turned on whenever I connected it to USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports, but still can't be detected in Windows.

imageproxy.gif.0a62b92e35ba6b7a1b6af2a5128c974b.gif

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

8 hours ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

No, I have 3x USB 3.0 ports on the rear of my PC, I connected my HDDs with both end of the USB cable to 2 USB 3.0 ports at same time, the system still cant detect them. On the other end of the cable, the SATA plug which connects to the HDD there are 2 tiny LEDs as indicator of power and data, and they're turned on whenever I connected it to USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports, but still can't be detected in Windows.

imageproxy.gif.0a62b92e35ba6b7a1b6af2a5128c974b.gif

Is the drive spinning up? Listen to it.

4 hours ago, Tasnim7 said:

Is the drive spinning up? Listen to it.

Too bad, they didn't

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

So either the drive doesn't get enough power (unlikely seeing as you plugged it into USB3), the cable/adapter thingy doesn't work, or the drive is completely dead. 

28 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

So either the drive doesn't get enough power (unlikely seeing as you plugged it into USB3), the cable/adapter thingy doesn't work, or the drive is completely dead. 

I think it's the cable. Both drives still healthy, I tested them in open PC just to make sure it's not the drive. I ended up put the 2.5" drive in that PC, and still have all the data I wanted to use. So i'm quite sure now it's the cable.

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

8 minutes ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

I think it's the cable. Both drives still healthy, I tested them in open PC just to make sure it's not the drive. I ended up put the 2.5" drive in that PC, and still have all the data I wanted to use. So i'm quite sure now it's the cable.

Feels great, doesn't it? I know, I've been there.