Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ThatCoolBlueKidd

Surface Book Vs Surface Pro 5

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi,

Im looking for a good college laptop that will last me through my undergrad (in psychology so not looking for something super spec'd) and I already have a gaming sff system too for gaming and more demanding projects should that be needed. Basically just need something for note taking and I love the surface pen / one note integration so that's why I'm looking within the surface family. 

Here are my options:

$550 USD

Surface Pro 5

i5 7300U

8GB Ram

128GB SSD

with Type Cover

(Will also need to buy a surface pen on top of this for about $50)

$630 USD

Surface Book 1

i5 6300U

8GB Ram

512GB SSD

with Surface Pen & Keyboard

Which would you go with? I like the lightness and Alcantara of the Surface Pro (but understand it's a subpar keyboard experience and the alcantara is easily damaged) and like the ports and better keyboard of the surface book but it's a heavier device and the gap when closed annoys me more than it should.

Which should I go for? I don't need it until December (thanks southern hemisphere academic year) so should I wait a few more months?

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

I love Windows tablets way more than I should, so I would get the Surface Pro. It's cheaper with a better CPU, and a tablet is very nice for drawing on.

EDIT: I didn't read carefully and thought the second option was the Surface Laptop, not Book. If that's the case, I'd still probably go for the Surface Pro, but only because it's cheaper. I think the Book is sexy as fuck but that's just my opinion.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.4GHz @ 1.36V (courtesy of @XR6) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: XFX R7 370 4GB with an Arctic Twin Turbo II Storage: WD Blue 1tb and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Monitor: Dell G2410T and Dell P2210 Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro S (MX Browns) with Varmillo black and grey PBT dye-sub caps Mousepad: Steelseries QcK Headset:  Sennheiser HD 4.40

I like Team Fortress 2 and Minecraft. Volvo makes the best cars.

11 minutes ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

it's a subpar keyboard experience

I would say there on par. On my Surface 4 at least the Keyboard is fantastic

My life

Surface Book. The massive storage difference along with that fact that the keyboard is included is a massive bonus. I wouldn't get either of them personally, but if you are set on piking between the two, I would get that one. 

Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball
Posted · Original PosterOP
17 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Surface Book. The massive storage difference along with that fact that the keyboard is included is a massive bonus. I wouldn't get either of them personally, but if you are set on piking between the two, I would get that one. 

Keyboard included on both but if you add the extra $50 or so for the pen with the Pro 5 it brings it up to 600 vs 630 

39 minutes ago, Himommies said:

I would say there on par. On my Surface 4 at least the Keyboard is fantastic

I had a pro 3 and pro 4 (sold both already) and the pro 4 keyboard is definitely better but I found the material to not be the most resiliant. 

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.