Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acebiscuits

Only one of GPU fan spinning

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello, I'm running EVGA GTX 1060 FTW2 6GB, and when I did my periodic cleaning I realised that one of the fan has more dust on it, so I thought the other fan is not spinning.

When I did some research, I found that because this GPU has an asynchronous fans that can be controlled separately using EVGA's Precision XOC software. And I can confirm that I can control both of the fans using XOC.

I mainly use MSI Afterburner to do my overclock, monitoring etc. However, it seems that afterburner can only control one of the fan, the GPU fan and not the power fan. So, is there any way that I can control both fans without using XOC?

Thanks.

Nope. The coding for it is only present in the Precision X software, so you will need to use that to do all your GPU needs. 

PSU Tier List Thread

"White Ice"

Ryzen 1800x @ 4.0ghz | Asus Crosshair VI Hero | EVGA RTX 2080ti Black | Flare X 14-14-14-34 3200mhz 32gb | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop | 1tb Samsung 970 Evo

Samsung 850 evo 250gb | 2x 3tb Seagate Drive | Fractal Design Meshify S2 |  EVGA G2 750w PSU | 3x Corsair ML140 Pro White LED case fans | 3x Corsair ML120 Pro White LED Case Fans 

8 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Nope. The coding for it is only present in the Precision X software, so you will need to use that to do all your GPU needs. 

That's too bad. Thank you though.

The fans will only activate if that section of the card is gettin too hot.  It won't spin while not under load.  Only the side that requires it will spin at a time, which's why one side is likely dustier than the other.  I thought my card was broken when I first got it (GTX 1070 TI) because the fans weren't spinnin when I booted it after puttin the PC together.

My friend did some research on it and told me how it works, since he didn't know about the new way graphics cards work, either.  He's also AMD and I'm Intel/NVIDIA.

CPU:    i7-8700K 3.7GHz (8th gen)

GPU:    EVGA GTX 1070ti FTW2 8gb

MB:      ASUS RoG Maximus X Hero Z-370 (ATX)

RAM:    16gb (2x8) DDR4-3200MHz G.Skill TridentZ RGB (CL16)

HD:      2TB Seagate FireCuda (SSHD)

E-HD:   8tb Seagate

PSU:     EVGA 750w B3, 80+ Bronze (modular)

UPS:     900w CyberPower

Display: BenQ 27" 1440p 144Hz 1ms (XL2730)

Mouse:  E-3lue Cobra - Wired (400/800/1600 DPI)

KeyB:    Sharkoon Skiller (wired)

Case:    Enermax Coenus

Other:   2x CD/DVD Player/Burner

XB-1 Wireless Adapter w/Controller

XB360 Wireless Adapter w/Controller

23 hours ago, Taintedmind said:

The fans will only activate if that section of the card is gettin too hot.  It won't spin while not under load.  Only the side that requires it will spin at a time, which's why one side is likely dustier than the other.  I thought my card was broken when I first got it (GTX 1070 TI) because the fans weren't spinnin when I booted it after puttin the PC together.

My friend did some research on it and told me how it works, since he didn't know about the new way graphics cards work, either.  He's also AMD and I'm Intel/NVIDIA.

Yeah, after some more testing I can confirm that the other fan will spin after passing certain temp threshold. Still won't respond to my custom fan curve on afterburner though. Which GPU software are you using?

50 minutes ago, acebiscuits said:

Yeah, after some more testing I can confirm that the other fan will spin after passing certain temp threshold. Still won't respond to my custom fan curve on afterburner though. Which GPU software are you using?

EVGA Precision XOC, but I haven't touched it for anything since I'm not an overclocker; it's all factory stock overclocked

CPU:    i7-8700K 3.7GHz (8th gen)

GPU:    EVGA GTX 1070ti FTW2 8gb

MB:      ASUS RoG Maximus X Hero Z-370 (ATX)

RAM:    16gb (2x8) DDR4-3200MHz G.Skill TridentZ RGB (CL16)

HD:      2TB Seagate FireCuda (SSHD)

E-HD:   8tb Seagate

PSU:     EVGA 750w B3, 80+ Bronze (modular)

UPS:     900w CyberPower

Display: BenQ 27" 1440p 144Hz 1ms (XL2730)

Mouse:  E-3lue Cobra - Wired (400/800/1600 DPI)

KeyB:    Sharkoon Skiller (wired)

Case:    Enermax Coenus

Other:   2x CD/DVD Player/Burner

XB-1 Wireless Adapter w/Controller

XB360 Wireless Adapter w/Controller

One of the fans won't be spinning because of EVGA's Asynchronous fan tech. Both fans have separate fan curves, they can be readjusted with EVGA's Precision software

I'm slightly above potato, but I'm getting there...

Not-so-Poor Man's Land:

Ryzen 3 2200G with Stock Cooler (CPU @ 3.8 GHz @1.312V, iGPU @ 1500MHz @ 1.1V),

TeamGroup T-Force Delta DDR4 Gaming 16GB (2x8GB) 16-18-18-32-60 @ 1.35V,

Hard D's are WD 1TB Blue & SeaGate Barracuda (old) 500 GB 7.2k,

DeepCool Wave V2 case with DeepCool DE500 V2,

Display: BenQ GL 2070 on DVI

Keyboard: Generic PS/2 Keyboard

Mouse: Generic USB Mouse

And yes, there are no fans. No fan power needed!