Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
selecadm

Opening the forum makes my wireless headphones think there will be sound

Posted · Original PosterOP

Every time I open or reload this forum, JBL T450BT headphones make me listen to white noise. It lasts for 30 seconds. Muting all forum tabs doesn't help. DAE have this problem?

I have this problem with my Sennheiser 4.40. It's annoying lol, especially when browsing in a quiet environment and that's the only noise.

I'm not sure what causes it, but maybe @colonel_mortis does.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.4GHz @ 1.36V (courtesy of @XR6) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: XFX R7 370 4GB with an Arctic Twin Turbo II Storage: WD Blue 1tb and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Monitor: Dell G2410T and Dell P2210 Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro S (MX Browns) with Varmillo black and grey PBT dye-sub caps Mousepad: Steelseries QcK Headset:  Sennheiser HD 4.40

I like Team Fortress 2 and Minecraft. Volvo makes the best cars.

Browser related maybe? Have you tried with other browsers? At one point some browsers counted ads as video playing audio (speaker icon in tab).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

The forum uses a library for handling the sounds, and I think one of the things that it does is make the browser preload the notification sound by telling it to play it then stopping it straight away when it's loaded. This then allows the notification sound to work properly later on. I'm not 100% sure about that though, and muting the forum tab ought to fix that. It's strange that your headphones would play white noise after the forum plays a split second of sound though - is that normal?

I don't work for Floatplane Media, so any Floatplane comments that I make are my own and may be incorrect or in conflict with the official view.

For Floatplane support, please use the wizard linked in this topic

1 hour ago, colonel_mortis said:

The forum uses a library for handling the sounds, and I think one of the things that it does is make the browser preload the notification sound by telling it to play it then stopping it straight away when it's loaded. This then allows the notification sound to work properly later on. I'm not 100% sure about that though, and muting the forum tab ought to fix that. It's strange that your headphones would play white noise after the forum plays a split second of sound though - is that normal?

I'm going to guess it is because as I said above, my headphones do the same thing. It also happens with other apps and sometimes notification sounds.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.4GHz @ 1.36V (courtesy of @XR6) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: XFX R7 370 4GB with an Arctic Twin Turbo II Storage: WD Blue 1tb and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Monitor: Dell G2410T and Dell P2210 Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro S (MX Browns) with Varmillo black and grey PBT dye-sub caps Mousepad: Steelseries QcK Headset:  Sennheiser HD 4.40

I like Team Fortress 2 and Minecraft. Volvo makes the best cars.

Posted · Original PosterOP
11 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Just checked. It happens in Firefox 56, but not in Internet Explorer.