Nvidia trying to trademark..... numbers?

LukaH
Just now, leadeater said:

Lame, just fix the image embed ? 

On phone. Edit my post, you have my permission. :P

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

4 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

"TRIAL BY DRAG RACE"

"NO, TRIAL BY DISTANCE"

"Susbstantial goodwill Ford has developed in the F150 brand"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Ferrari should counter sue over that statement for flagrant false advertising.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Lame, just fix the image embed ? 

Wait, I did it as well. Fuck. 

I am lost now. Do whatever you want. I give up. 

Just now, leadeater said:

Technically you fixed it and mine was broken so I undid mine ?

I thought I deleted yours. I give up. 

There is another part to what AMD is doing than trying to have higher number than Nvidia. And that is to have something that fits better with their CPU naming scheme.

For example

R5 3600 with RX 3070.

OEMs could even call that AMD 3670 if they wanted.

Not saying it's good or bad, but it might also be a reason.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

This AMD naming bullshit needs to quit. Also, if they really were just changing their numbering scheme to match Ryzen 3rd gen, why not call it RX 3x00 instead of 30x0? It's clearing what they're trying to pull here.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Since you can't "Copyright" numbers... at best you could argue that they could trademark them... But because they are not actually using those numbers, some of which won't be used for years to come and is clearly a plot to prevent their competitors from using it, I doubt they will get it. They'd also need to be actively defending that trademark, which they obviously can't since they aren't using it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

I'd love it if AMD had zero intention of using those namings and Nvida was a victim of 'tech media' hype bs lol

Not a chance, you know as well as everyone else, if Nvidia are trying this then they know 100% what's coming otherwise they wouldn't waste the money on a what if.

Will they succeed? Nope, it's been tried before multiple times and it's always failed, you cannot trademark a number unless it's part of a brand name.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Fuck Nvidia and fuck Intel.. Nvidia talks so much shit that if I was AMD I would make it my mission to use 3*** in the naming scheme.. I personally like their old one but I can almost say with certainty that going above Nvidias naming scheme will most likely help with sales (how much is unknown).. 

Ryzen, it makes perfect sense what they did.. Motherboards definitely could have been maybe something different.. But the processors they did spot on exactly what they should have IMO.. 

There's a ton of money that goes into shit like this so please don't think they're doing it just for the LOLs.. Companies pay millions of dollars to change a color in their logo because it may make you feel a certain way.. We're taking about million/billion dollar marketing companies where  a single letter, number or color could result in a sale.. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

3 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

You can't "Copyright" numbers... at best you could argue that they could trademark them... But because they are not actually using those numbers, some of which won't be used for years to come and is clearly a plot to prevent their competitors from using it, I doubt they will get it.

It's possible I'm misremembering but I believe there is legal president for this. I believe you can trademark a number if it's part of your brand name only.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

"Nvidia and Intel are meanies, so AMD gets to fuck up naming schemes!"

Is that what I'm really hearing right now? Is it really? I never thought the logic of some on this forum could falter harder but for some reason, it happens.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

12 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Not a chance, you know as well as everyone else, if Nvidia are trying this then they know 100% what's coming otherwise they wouldn't waste the money on a what if.

But the thought of Nvidia being wccftech'd or adored'd is just too good not to hope for, even with a ~1% chance it's a bet I'd take, I'd find it very funny.  *steps up to roulette table* "Put it all on memes, I mean red"

I'd like to see a simplified naming scheme personally. even just adding the year they released would be helpful to most people I think. For mobos, something like tiers would be nice, something like Basic/medium/high, and then the stack where they sit... everything else should be covered by socket supported, except in intels case as they stupidly have the same socket sometimes but CPUs actually supported can be finicky.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

57 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Just remembered this. Pure gold. Ferrari vs Ford.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-12417757

It's really easy to mistaken F1 race car for a F-150 pickup truck. I mean, imagine you're an F1 racing driver and you drive to the start line in F-150. Shit happens, right?

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Peugeot has a trademark on numbering scheme with single or double zero in the middle like: 106, 206, 306, 406 etc and double zeroes like 3008, 4008, 5008 etc. No other car manufacturer can use it. Or Porsche with its iconic "911"

Funny that you mention the 911.  That car was supposed to be called "901", but Porsche changed it because Peugeot complained about the number

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_901

Anyway, this whole patent thing is out of control.  What's next?  A phone company patenting a rectangle with rounded corners? 

2 hours ago, LukaH said:

Nvidia tries to block AMD from naming their RX GPUs similar to the RTX lineup by (trying) trademarking the numbers 3080, 4080 and 5080

Geforce Partner Programme 2.0.

Well, nVidia once had good OpenCL support. You know, when they had the edge over AMD.

As soon as AMD closed the Gap, they stopped (officially) and pushed CUDA more...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Why is it ridiculous? AMD are being assholes when it comes to naming schemes. Look at the X399 chipset for Threadripper (copying Intel's HEDT chipset naming scheme trend of X79, X99, X299), mid range consumer B350/B450 chipset (copying Intels naming scheme trend of B150, B250 chipsets). That has caused issue for Intel who had to change to B360 naming scheme to avoid customer confusion. They even did the same thing with the Ryzen 3, 5, 7, and 9 CPUs (copying Intel's i3, i5, i7, i9).

It would be awesome if Numbers, Names and Brands would be irrelevant and all that counts is how good the Product is...

But you know it from the PSU area that people get stuff "by brand" and that some brands are able to sell some pretty low end units for a good premium price...

Its the same in other areas as well.

It feels sometimes like the Product is secondary to the Name and the Label on the Product...

PS: As for Intel AMD Processor naming; you can argue that here Intel stole AMD's Naming with Phenom and one upped that. Instead of "x2", they named it i3.

10 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

AMD's Naming with Phenom and one upped that. Instead of "x2"

Didn't that start with the AMD Athlon 64 X2?

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Didn't that start with the AMD Athlon 64 X2?

Yes, it actually did and was just the core count in the name.

But with Phenom they had the whole set -> x2, X3, X4 and later X6 (FIRST 6 Core in Desktop!!1111)

When you put Phenom X2, X4, X6 against Core i3, i5, i7, it looks like Intel stole a bit from AMD.

Not that I care about that anyway.

24 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Funny that you mention the 911.  That car was supposed to be called "901", but Porsche changed it because Peugeot complained about the number

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_901

Anyway, this whole patent thing is out of control.  What's next?  A phone company patenting a rectangle with rounded corners? 

Porsche should have name theirs to 9O1.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

Just remembered this. Pure gold. Ferrari vs Ford.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-12417757

That's not the only case of Ford being a complete arse tho.

The original plan from tesla was to name them model S, model E and model X so they would be the SEX-range.

Thing is, Ford was like "no you can't do that, we already have an E-series".

It's a VAN, the "free candy" type van.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_E_series

That's why they changed it to 3. It's still the S3X-range (which is close enough i guess).

Also why the new one is the Y, makes it S3XY.

Also another detail is that Mercedes also has an E-range and don't really mind all this.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

55 minutes ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

If nvidia can try to pull that partnership program shit

Except that wasn't just accepted. The community shit on Nvidia for it.
Whether you are team red or team green, or whether you just buy whichever card is the most suitable for your performance requirements and your budget... You can still say that you don't agree with the things either of the company are [might be?] doing.

51 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

It's possible I'm misremembering but I believe there is legal president for this. I believe you can trademark a number if it's part of your brand name only.

You can definitely protect product names that use numbers, not just company/brand names. They'd have a hard time arguing if a completely unrelated product tried using those product names, like the Sunbeam 911 Toaster would probably be fine (as long as they don't have a picture of a sports car or Porsche badge printed on it that might mislead customers in to thinking it was an officially licensed Porsche 911 product)...
However, if a direct competitor used that product name? The BMW 911 sports car? The Chevrolet F-150 Pick Up truck? They would definitely have grounds to take them to court over using the name, even if the product name is just a series of letters or numbers.

It really comes down to arguing how recognisable that name is to the product company, and whether or not it would be misleading to consumers or would potentially do damage to the company if another company used that branding (either direct financial loss or reputation damage through things such as an inferior product using the same name). Doesn't matter whether the name is a word, letters, or a series of numbers.

24 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

But you know it from the PSU area that people get stuff "by brand" and that some brands are able to sell some pretty low end units for a good premium price...

Its the same in other areas as well. 

It feels sometimes like the Product is secondary to the Name and the Label on the Product...

Yeah, and like with PSUs people see "850w" on the label and think that it must be better than the product that says "550w". Cause bigger number is better, right? Same story with people who may not know a lot about graphics cards looking at the RTX 2080 and RX 3080 side by side on the shelf at Best Buy when buying a birthday present for little Timmy.

Yeah... The CPU naming thing is a bit of a stretch, but the chipset naming for X399 & B350 cannot be a coincidence. AMD knew exactly what they were doing.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Even though they can't trademark numbers outright,  they can still trademark the overall naming scheme and sue AMD over it.

Just like how Ford sued Toyota over the T100, despite no longer offering a F100 for years.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.