Before I Pull The Trigger

MJG

So here is my last post I intend on making before purchasing the rest of my parts for my 9900k build. I am building this for audio enginerring / production primarily. 2nd Use is gaming. 3rd use with be gfx editing and video editing / rendering. An all around workstation build and gaming rig.

Here are the parts I currently already own.

Intel 9900k

32GB of corsair vengence lpx ddr4 2666mhz - cmk16gx4m2a2666c16 (4x8gb)

EVGA supernova 1000 G3 80plus gold certified

Samsung pm981 nvme 512gb for boot drive (temporary plan on buying a optane drive or faster samsung drive)

2x  sk hynix pc401 nvme 512gb (possibly stick in raid) for scratch disks (got for free, eventually replace with 1 large nvme drive)

2x samsung 860 evo sata ssd 512gb for storage / scratch (got both drives in a bundle for about $60, eventually replace with 1 larger sata drive for storage)

Here are the parts I had planned to buy followed up with why

Be quiet dark base 900 pro v2 or dark base or dark base 700 - The silence aspect primarily

Dark Rock 4 Pro - I have been told this will be more silent & better cooling with less risk than a AIO loop and If i wanted truly good loop I would need to build something or not get a AIO

Aorus Master motherboard - The VRM's

GFX - TBD

Additional Case Fans - Silent Wings

So heres my problem i keep getting mixed information about the case, mother board, and cooling

Alot of people swear by the aorus master, but than I have had some people say that the fan controller sucks and i should use something different but did not leave anty specific recommendations.

The case I have been told would be great for what I want to do and than others say that there no way I can oc my 9900k and keep it cool on air cooling in the specific case but than they do not recommend another silent case that would run cooler with the same inital cooling set up

Now from the reviews i have watched on youtube i know I can definitely OC with the dark rock pro 4. I also may in the future switch to a custom loop, but for the time being I want to get my system built and would prefer to run it with all cores oc to 5ghz if not slightly under that because from everything ive seen this processor can easily handle that.

I obviously dont want to buy and replace every part of this build which is why i turn for advice here, But one thing I am starting to notice is people saying why I shouldn't use this or use that but than dont actually recommend a better equivalent. Or the recommend something that is nothing what I am looking for

Main points to remember, audio work, silence, over clocked. I am willing to do a case that is not the "most" silent but it still needs to be quiet. I am willing to do AIO or a different air cooler setup but there has to be a major difference in the performance and how cool it will run my system. And also same with the mother board although I thought the better the VRM the better the Overclocking and heat control? I obviously want performance over aesthetics I would just perfer some actual comparable recommendations that meet the criteria of what im trying to achieve.

And remember I may eventually do a custom loop but unless you can tell of something that is not a arm and a leg and the exact parts to recommend Its just not up for consideration at the moment.

Anyways I will prob order my parts by tomorrow night at the latest so i can pick them up at our amazon location before end of weekend and get this thing built

That motherboard is the best >$300 motherboard, IMO. I used the Aorus Ultra with a 9700K OC to 5.2GHz all core.. I found the fan control via BIOS to be great.. Better than what Asus has, actually.. 

The case doesn't really matter, as long as you use high quality, relatively quiet fans, you can make any case a quiet case.. You're limiting some airflow by going with a case designed to be quiet.. I would look for a case with good airflow like the Meshify C/S2.. Phanteks has the P600S which gives you the best of both worlds.. If you want quiet, you close everything up, if you want airflow while gaming, you open the hatches on it.. Check it out, it's actually a nice case that I considered myself..

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Your PSU is waaaaaay more than you need, what GPU are you going with? Even with a 2080 ti, 650 would do 

He already owns it, though..

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium

2 minutes ago, ch3w2oy said:

He already owns it, though..

Ya i got it for like 50 bucks brand new never opened lol couldnt pass that kind of a deal up

Also that case looks interesting i am going to watch some reviews on it now... thank you

like said earlier while a silent optimized case is great, they do sacrifice some air flow.  As long as you got some good fans, any case can be silent.  If you want some recommendations, then i would personally look at the nzxt h700.  Its a really nice mid tower case with plenty of air flow.  Swap the stock fans with some silent wings 3, corsair ml pros or even some noctua fans and you are set.  In terms of the mobo, ive built with practically all mobo brands.  If bios is something that you want to be as simple as possible, then go asus, but seeming like you want quailty, i have heard nothing but good things with most of the aours boards.  they generally do have the best vrm's on any mobos unless you go super high end.  and in terms of cooler, the dark rock pro 4 is better then most all in ones, so stick with it

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

2 minutes ago, MJG said:

Ya i got it for like 50 bucks brand new never opened lol couldnt pass that kind of a deal up

Also that case looks interesting i am going to watch some reviews on it now... thank you

It's a little on the big side, IMO.. I didn't like the size of my Entho Pro M (p600s is bigger), which is about a normal size case lol.. But it sits right next to my display so it just looked awkward to me.. I went with the Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic and a custom loop to achieve silence. I built this current system (in sig link) with silence in mind (literally) and I'm using 12 fans at a low RPM.. More fans at a lower RPM moving more air than less fans at a higher RPM, will be much quieter.. See sig to see for pics of case if you want..

As for the CPU cooler, that's up to you.. I HATE large air coolers and the space they take up.. I would buy an AIO any day of the week over an air cooler.. They look better, they take up less space, you don't have to worry about your RAM fitting, no worrying about the cooler being in the way when trying to mess with wires or trying to fix something, and you don't need to make sure your side panel will fit after the air cooler is attached.. After I built my PC I opened it up several times to change things around and if I had an air cooler in there I bet I would have ripped the fucker out, literally.. Most people pushing others toward air coolers either haven't tried an AIO, had a bad experience with one or just thinks they're expensive.. I had the Corsair H150i Pro 360mm and EVGA CLC 280mm and never had an issue.. YES, you can get a high quality air cooler that in some cases ARE better than MOST AIOs, for LESS money, but if you don't mind spending a little over $100 for a GOOD AIO, you will be WAY happier, IMO. Personal preference, I guess..

5 minutes ago, xdeathshot20 said:

If bios is something that you want to be as simple as possible, then go asus, but seeming like you want quailty, i have heard nothing but good things with most of the aours boards.  they generally do have the best vrm's on any mobos unless you go super high end.  and in terms of cooler, the dark rock pro 4 is better then most all in ones, so stick with it

The BIOS on the ASUS is not worth choosing a worse board.. I've used Asus board on my Ryzen builds and while they are top notch, my Z390 Aorus Ultra was more than almost anyone could ask for.. I have NO CLUE what people complain about because it did EVERYTHING I could ever imagine.. Overclocked CPU to 5.2GHz, ran my RAM at 3600 C14, controlled all of my fans just fine.. In fact, their fan control is superior to what Asus has in my current X470 Crosshair VII BIOS (latest release)..

Typically an M.2 drive disables 2 SATA ports on a MOBO, since they share bandwidth. While the Z390 AORUS MASTER does have those 3 nifty looking M.2 slots, it's only got the 6 SATA ports. I can't say for a fact that they will all be disabled, especially since PCPartpicker isn't throwing any red flags in. Just food for thought.