Installed SSD... My GPU broke...

MajorityHippo

Hello all! I've come here for help, you guys are my last hope in fixing this problem.

So... It all started when I finally got my Kingston 480gb SSD. My PC was completely OFF before I started working on it and I made sure to ground myself before touching anything. After all that, I opened both side panels of my PC for ease of access, I decided to install my SSD on the metal railings on the metal plate that's behind the motherboard, I think most PC's have them (correct me if i'm wrong). Apart from screwing in the SSD being a little fiddly, everything was going according to plan.

I then put the panels back on and reconnect all peripherals, then... I finally go to DO IT! Turn on my computer to get some seriously fast storage space! . . . The problem is that when I turned it on, the fans all boot up and then shut down... Then turn on again and I hear that BEEP. I thought it was strange, so I plug in my HDMI to be screen AND... Nothing. For some reason my computer is no longer outputting any sort of video signal. So I double check everything, CPU, RAM, PSU.

Now here's the problem, I'm about to test my GPU, I assumed it would be fine because all the fans where spinning and it looked in good health. But I disconnect my GPU, turn on my PC and my BIOS boots up. Meaning that the fault is clearly the GPU. HOW IN THE ACTUAL **** does an SSD short circuit and wreck my GPU?? I mean... PSU? Yea! Maybe the wattage just tipped over the scale.

But no, my GPU!

The only thing I can think of is maybe that when I was screwing in the SSD somehow, maybe?, the metal plate flexed? And contacted the back of the motherboard? Really guys any help on what to do next would be greatly appreciated :) I've been over on Reddit, but they seemed more interested in memes for some reason... Anyway thanks in advance.

SPECS:

GPU: rx 390x

CPU: I7 4790k

Ram: 2 x 4GB ddr3

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3

PSU: Corsair CX600M

HDD: WD Blue 1TB

SSD: Kingston 480gb

First order of business: Remove the SSD, reinstall the GPU, and see if it works again. If you have access to another machine, test the card.

Also, you could try the GPU in a different PCIe slot.

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450

Shot in the dark but could be something to do with memory bandwidth and you're mobo disabling certain Pcie slots when additional drives are installed. Unplug the ssd, see if it boots, if it does plug the ssd back in but plug it into a different sata port, if it doesn't boot move the gpu into a different slot and try again.  

25 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Shot in the dark but could be something to do with memory bandwidth and you're mobo disabling certain Pcie slots when additional drives are installed. Unplug the ssd, see if it boots, if it does plug the ssd back in but plug it into a different sata port, if it doesn't boot move the gpu into a different slot and try again.  

Ok, I've took out the SSD, and i've tried putting the GPU back into my PC, in both PCIEX slots but still every time I boot, the fans turn on then shut off, then my computer turns on again and doesn't output any signal.

How many beep? 3 beep usually gpu error.

I say you reseat the gpu properly.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

How many beep? 3 beep usually gpu error.

I say you reseat the gpu properly.

Just one beep, always. I've reseated the GPU countless times in different slots, the only time my PC can boot to bios is when my GPU isn't in my PC.

clean the copper fingers with an eraser.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

clean the copper fingers with an eraser.

Is that a joke?? With an eraser? Like a school eraser? Like the kind I'd use to rub out pencil marks??

Yup, i hope you still have one.

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

Yup, i hope you still have one.

I see you like to live life dangerously, I will see.

no joke, just search this forum you'll find me advising the same thing.

overtime copper can develop corrosion if exposed to air.

depending on where you live, if you live by the ocean where the salt level (in the air) is higher than normal, it can get corrosion quicker.

you can clean it off by rubbing with alcohol or just gently use an eraser.

i've brought back many (presumably) dead memory sticks using this method.

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

no joke, just search this forum you'll find me advising the same thing.

overtime copper can develop corrosion if exposed to air.

depending on where you live, if you live by the ocean where the salt level (in the air) is higher than normal, it can get corrosion quicker.

you can clean it off by rubbing with alcohol or just gently use an eraser.

i've brought back many (presumably) dead memory sticks using this method.

I've just noticed this, on my GPU some of the connectors are smaller? Is this supposed to be like this?

20190524_211103.jpg

20190524_211047.jpg