Apple two factor authentication forces you to have Apple products

Hello, I have a problem with Apple which forces me to activate the tow factor authentication (2FA) which in terms requires me to have an MAC and an iPhone in order for this to work. The story is that I have an Apple developer account which was needed in order to be able to publish an App on Apple Play store, a thing that was dealt with by a third party company. All went well, but this year, I was required to edit the admins that have access to the developer account and, after logging in, when clicking on my account, I get the message: 

Your Apple ID needs to be updated.

Before you can continue, you’ll need to update the following information associated with your Apple ID

I have read through the setup page: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915 

Two-factor Authentication

Your Apple ID currently has two-step verification turned on, but two-factor authentication is required. After you turn on two-factor authentication, signing in to your developer account will require both your password and access to your trusted devices or trusted phone number.

To learn more, see the support page. If you have any questions, contact us.

I wrote to them on the contact link above and did not get any reply after 2 weeks.

I can't find anywhere an option to avoid the 2FA or to make it on Android devices.

Except for the obvious solution of buying a MAC and an iPhone, is there another way of resolving this?

Looking forward to receiving suggestions.

4 minutes ago, VLADN1234 said:

phone number

so this only works on iphones, or just any phone ?

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

4 minutes ago, VLADN1234 said:

Except for the obvious solution of buying a MAC and an iPhone, is there another way of resolving this?

Get a second hand iPod Touch? I didn't know that they locked 2FA this hard, if an Apple device is needed you'll need one even if borrowed no matter what.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Tamesh16 said:

so this only works on iphones, or just any phone ?

You need an iphone iOS 10.3 or later.

Just now, Princess Luna said:

Get a second hand iPod Touch

my question though is if he is publishing to apple store wont he need a device to atleast test the apps before publishing ?

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

1 minute ago, Princess Luna said:

Get a second hand iPod Touch? I didn't know that they locked 2FA this hard, if an Apple device is needed you'll need one even if borrowed no matter what.

Well...I would like to avoid any type of cash since this is for work... and my boss doesn't want to spend any money, plus, I would need a MAC as well, if I read correctly.

Just now, Tamesh16 said:

my question though is if he is publishing to apple store wont he need a device to atleast test the apps before publishing ?

His contractor probably had a device for test purposes, but doesn't mean he has to own one... it's understandable situation and if you ask me whoever hired him and now needs the adm settings edited should be the one providing him with means to do it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Tamesh16 said:

The app developers (third party company) does this on our behalf. So, not my problem :)

1 minute ago, VLADN1234 said:

not my problem

2 minutes ago, VLADN1234 said:

my boss doesn't want to spend any money

your circumstance does seem quite selective, but two factor authentication shouldnt be this complicated, especially since its forcing you to buy their products 

1 minute ago, Tamesh16 said:

your circumstance does seem quite selective, but two factor authentication shouldnt be this complicated, especially since its forcing you to buy their products 

I agree... it shouldn't be complicated and, for developer accounts, it shouldn't be mandatory, in my opinion.

And coming back to your quotes, Yes. my boss doesn't want to spend any dime and I have to resolve the issue somehow...☹️

While I don't have a developer account, I do own an iPhone personally, and at work I have a business account for MDM related purposes.

I've never had an issue with 2FA - using email has always been a fallback option. Is this not the case with you?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915

Based on the language on Apple's website, I don't think you need a device to use 2fa, you can use a "trusted phone number". But you will need a device to set up 2fa.

No guarantee this will work but find a trustworthy friend who owns a Mac. Setup a new user login and sign in with your Apple ID. You should then be able to set up 2fa. After checking that it works and you can use your phone number to receive the verification code you can delete the user login on your friends Mac. 

Apple's developer program essentially requires you to own a Mac. Xcode only runs on MacOS and the EULA requires an authenticated Mac in order to publish to the App Store.

Thank you all for your support. It seems that there is no way around it.

I have already added the trusted phone number, on my Android phone and this doesn't help with the 2fa unfortunately.

Will an MAC OS emulator work?

• 2 weeks later...

So.. I found an iPhone 5 and when I reached the Password & Security there is no Two-Factor Authentication button and I checked, I have iOS 10.3.

Does this mean that the iPhone 5 is not compatible with 2fa?

12 minutes ago, VLADN1234 said:

So.. I found an iPhone 5 and when I reached the Password & Security there is no Two-Factor Authentication button and I checked, I have iOS 10.3.

I think iOS 13 has to come out first.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

33 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

I think iOS 13 has to come out first.

I am sorry, but I don't agree. I don't have and won't be able to update to iOS 13 with this iPhone 5... they stopped support for it a long time ago.

Don't you know anyone with a recent iphone who could help you out?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

20 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Don't you know anyone with a recent iphone who could help you out?

If I knew, I would have not started this thread...

1 hour ago, VLADN1234 said:

I am sorry, but I don't agree. I don't have and won't be able to update to iOS 13 with this iPhone 5... they stopped support for it a long time ago.

Maybe iOS 13 has to come out first, before they issue updates for older OS to include this feature?

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

3 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

Maybe iOS 13 has to come out first, before they issue updates for older OS to include this feature?

You're thinking of the wrong feature, this thread is about 2fa which has been around for years

6 hours ago, VLADN1234 said:

Hmmm, should be there. A couple things you can try:

- Check if there are any updates available, looks like 10.3.3 is the latest version supported for iPhone 5

- Make sure a passcode is enabled, according to Apple's documentation you need to have a passcode in order to setup 2fa

- Try signing out of iCloud on the iPhone and then signing back in again

- Do a factory reset and setup the iPhone as if new, the setup process should ask you to enable 2fa\

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205075

On 5/24/2019 at 5:29 PM, Tamesh16 said:

If he is publishing to Apple store he will already own a Mac as you need to develop using Xcode. 

12 hours ago, stevieb said:

If he is publishing to Apple store he will already own a Mac as you need to develop using Xcode. 

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the app developers (third party company) does this on our behalf.

6 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

you don't. you can use the phone number attached to your Apple ID to get a code.

Sorry, but to which question are you replying?

I already have the 2 factor verification (with phone number) linked.

20 hours ago, stevieb said:

Xamarin....