Fan Hub for Tiny Case

Crave
Go to solution Solved by TVwazhere,
45 minutes ago, Crave said:

@TVwazhereI've made an illustration of the thing i was talking about before. I think that there won't be any problem with it as long as it doesn't exceed Watt of the controller and fan header, but i'm not sure, as i didn't check everything yet.

As long as your fans do not together exceed 1A on any given header you should be good (most are around 0.12-0.3A depending on the fan). Noctua's for example are fairly low amps so you can use quite a few of them on the same fan header!

Keep in mind in this configuration, the extra 92mm fan and the exhaust fan will act like the CPU fan, and ramp up under load, so those 80mm fans might get loud

Hello everyone,

I'm using BitFenix Portal case and i'm looking for a high/good quality fan hub to power 6 fans (maybe 8 if i'd try to getto cool RX 580 with Noctua fans). I've looked around and found lots of different fan hubs, but most of them only give you an option of setting speed on one PWM fan, while others work on the same speed. Is there any portable fan hub, which lets set different fan profiles in BIOS?

14 minutes ago, Crave said:

I've looked around and found lots of different fan hubs, but most of them only give you an option of setting speed on one PWM fan, while others work on the same speed.

The fan hub should control all the fans through one PWM connection so that they all spin at the same speed the motherboard tells it to. 

If you're looking for one fan hub to control sets of fans at different speeds, your best bet is a simple fan splitter for each set of fans (two or three) and plugging the single connection into a Chassis fan header, and ther doing that for each set of fans you have. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

The fan hub should control all the fans through one PWM connection so that they all spin at the same speed the motherboard tells it to. 

If you're looking for one fan hub to control sets of fans at different speeds, your best bet is a simple fan splitter for each set of fans (two or three) and plugging the single connection into a Chassis fan header, and ther doing that for each set of fans you have. 

Thanks for reply.

I see. Just to be sure, so i understood everything right, i can control only sets of fans (dual, triple and etc.). As an example, i'm using MSI B450i ITX board, it only has two fan headers (apparently 2 RGB headers are way more important than a third fan header), and i want to control two 80mm fans, two 92mm CPU fans and one 120mm fan separately. To do that, i need to plug something like Noctua na-fc1 controller with three splitter cable, plug on each pin three Y splitter cables, and plug each set of fans on each set of Y splitter cable. Is everything correct or i didn't get it?

53 minutes ago, Crave said:

i want to control two 80mm fans, two 92mm CPU fans and one 120mm fan separately. To do that, i need to plug something like Noctua na-fc1 controller with three splitter cable, plug on each pin three Y splitter cables, and plug each set of fans on each set of Y splitter cable. Is everything correct or i didn't get it?

Yes. Each fan header is only capable of sending one signal for speed (be it DC-DC or PWM) so if you want to control the 92mm fans separately from the 120mm fan for example, you will need to have it separately wired to a different motherboard header

I drew this (terribly) in paint as a better visual explanation. The problem is your broad (being ITX) only has two fan headers. This is actually fairly common, as ITX boards usually dont come with more than two fan headers. Also keep in mind at least one of those fan headers has to go to the CPU cooler (Im assuming the 120mm fan is the CPU cooler fan)

image.thumb.png.365de9761576e94818f07c59b42a79cb.png

Personally what I would do in your situation is have the 120mm (assuming CPU) fan as it's own signal, and then have either a splitter or fan hub plug both the 80mm and 92mm fans into the other header (and yes, you can mix sizes, it's just they will spin at different RPM's because 100% rpm on the 80mm fans are probably higher than 100% speed on the 92mm)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

@TVwazhereI've made an illustration of the thing i was talking about before. I think that there won't be any problem with it as long as it doesn't exceed Watt of the controller and fan header, but i'm not sure, as i didn't check everything yet.

Unfortunately, the CPU cooler, which i can use inside my case is nh-u9s (125mm maximum height) and you can put only 92mm fans on it. 120mm fan sends cold air that comes from edges of the case, so it's sort of crucial to have. 80mm fan is for taking out the hot air from the back of the case. According to BitFenix, you can install only one 80mm fan either on top or bottom, but i found out that you easily instal two fans without any modding, you just don't have to screw the upper and lower corners of fans, but i think that you can somehow secure them with anti vibration mounts

product_7_2png.png

Portal30.png

45 minutes ago, Crave said:

As long as your fans do not together exceed 1A on any given header you should be good (most are around 0.12-0.3A depending on the fan). Noctua's for example are fairly low amps so you can use quite a few of them on the same fan header!

Keep in mind in this configuration, the extra 92mm fan and the exhaust fan will act like the CPU fan, and ramp up under load, so those 80mm fans might get loud

4 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I understand. Well, a fan of socks and sandals once said, when you go for performance and tiny/portable case, you sacrifice the noise, so i was already prepared for that, and that's why i'm going full Noctua, to at least, remove some portion of it.

Thanks for provided help and sorry for taking so long to understand how fans work.

By the way, at the time i finished building my first PC, i got ASRock AB350 Fatal1ty, because it was the only decent choice at the time, and even though they have sh!ty VRM and MOSFET heatsinks (also they lied about the quantity of VRMs), they actually put 3 fan headers on their board.

4 hours ago, Crave said:

Thanks for provided help and sorry for taking so long to understand how fans work.

Not a problem, always happy to help to the best of my ability :)