2070 DOA + RMA blocker

smallberry

Hey folks,

A few months ago, I saw a deal on an MSI RTX 2070 on Amazon US and scooped it up. Since I live in Finland, I shipped it to my office in the US and picked it up just this past week. Finally home, I put the card in and it appears to be DOA with weird artifacting when booting windows. Windows then disables the GPU to get me into windows and Device Manager shows Error 43.

I've run the gamut of driver updates, installs, re-installs and I think this card is just a dud. I'm waiting to hear back from MSI on the return but I'm strongly suspecting I have a very expensive paperweight on my hands. Any suggestions on things I could try to get the card to run?

Did you try DDU to remove your old drivers? 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

3 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Did you try DDU to remove your old drivers? 

I did when I rolled back to driver version 417.xx which was the last version I was running with my 970.

I had major issues goin from a EVGA GTX 1070 TI --> EVGA RTX 2080 because I didn't DDU the old drivers, then reinstall the new ones.  I had constant crashing, then it went away w/the DDU + 2080 Driver Install.  I then had my hard drive throttlin to 100% usage at idle and some jittery lag on the actual computer itself, so there's major issues w/the RTX cards.  Hopefully you're not one of the average 25% of reviewers for an RTX card.

If the DDU doesn't work, then possibly lower the voltage goin into the card.  I've seen reports from benchmarkers that issues can arise, along w/card throttlin if it's higher in voltage, which'll actually lower its performance.  If you lower it some, then it'll actually go above the range you're lookin for.  It could be an anomaly or some other issue, but it's worth a shot.  Artifacting is quite common w/RTX cards, so it could be you received a bad batch.

You also have to lookout for the GDDR6 failin, since it's been heavily reported that the higher cards have have the issue.  If your model is after the issues may have been fixed, then you should be in the clear.  Some of the cards also have issues w/the APU and the motherboard, so if you have an integrated graphics processor, then check your motherboard settings to see if the motherboard itself is actually blockin the GPU.

Primary

CPU:      i9-10900k 3.7-5.3GHz (10th gen)

GPU:      EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming 12gb

MB:         ASUS RoG Maximus XIII Hero (ATX)

RAM:      64gb (4x16) DDR4-3200MHz G.Skill TridentZ Silver/Black (CL16)

HD:         1x 8TB Corsair MP400 NVMe PCIe 3.0 (SSD)

2x 16TB Seagate Exos 7200rpm (HDD)

E-HD:     12TB WD

PSU:       EVGA 1000w G2, 80+ Gold (modular)

UPS:       900w CyberPower

Display:   ASUS 27” 1440p/270Hz IPS 0.5ms (XG27AQM)

Aorus 27" 1440p/165Hz IPS 1ms (FI27Q-P) iGPU

KeyB:      EVGA Z15 (wired)

Mouse:    Logitech G-502 Hero (400/600/800/1000)

Headset: JBL Quantum ONE Gaming Headset

Case:      Cooler Master MasterCase H500P Mesh (ATX)

Other:     XB-1 Wireless Controller Adapter w/Controller

NPET H01 Gaming Mouse Bungee Cord Holder w/4 USB Ports

Gaming Computer Specs.pdf

Is it possible to run GPU-Z and check if it Samsung or Micron RAM?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 minute ago, smallberry said:

I did when I rolled back to driver version 417.xx which was the last version I was running with my 970.

Try it again. With DDU you shouldnt have to roll back.. it will go through and delete any and all traces of the drivers and allow you to install fresh. The symptoms you describe are common when upgrading graphics cards and having a conflict between the different versions on the system. DDU resolves this. if this doesnt fix it, then it does seem to possibly be a bad GPU.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

DDU it clean, while havin the drivers for the new card downloaded already.  Get off of the internet on the PC, then start-up w/the card installed and fresh-install the drivers w/out Windows auto-downloadin some of the actual drivers from the internet automatically.  This fixed my issues w/my RTX 2080 before I returned it and got a full-refund.

If it doesn't fix the issue and you check if the motherboard is blockin you, then you can do a fresh install of Windows 10 (if willin) and try from the hardware bein fresh installed w/out any conflictin drivers/programs/etc. on the drive.

Primary

CPU:      i9-10900k 3.7-5.3GHz (10th gen)

GPU:      EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming 12gb

MB:         ASUS RoG Maximus XIII Hero (ATX)

RAM:      64gb (4x16) DDR4-3200MHz G.Skill TridentZ Silver/Black (CL16)

HD:         1x 8TB Corsair MP400 NVMe PCIe 3.0 (SSD)

2x 16TB Seagate Exos 7200rpm (HDD)

E-HD:     12TB WD

PSU:       EVGA 1000w G2, 80+ Gold (modular)

UPS:       900w CyberPower

Display:   ASUS 27” 1440p/270Hz IPS 0.5ms (XG27AQM)

Aorus 27" 1440p/165Hz IPS 1ms (FI27Q-P) iGPU

KeyB:      EVGA Z15 (wired)

Mouse:    Logitech G-502 Hero (400/600/800/1000)

Headset: JBL Quantum ONE Gaming Headset

Case:      Cooler Master MasterCase H500P Mesh (ATX)

Other:     XB-1 Wireless Controller Adapter w/Controller

NPET H01 Gaming Mouse Bungee Cord Holder w/4 USB Ports

Gaming Computer Specs.pdf

I see, I'll give DDU another shot this evening and also see if i can undervolt. I can't get the card to detect in Windows (other than the error 43 and be disabled) so that may not be an option.

12 minutes ago, quakeguy81 said:

This should be a no-brainer, but did you connect the 6-pin and 8-pin PCI-E power to the RTX 2070?  Also can your PSU handle it?

Yup power was fully connected. I have a Corsair 750 PSU.

Yeah, things like this can happen.
Wich is why Warranty exist.

just RMA the card and get a new, working one.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I just tried the DDU (MSI response came in while at work and suggested it again too) again and still no dice. In fact now it won't even let me install drivers. It just says 'NVIDIA Installer failed'. Screenshots attached if you're curious.

I will try the RMA process but I don't know if they do international warranty. I bought the card in the US but I live in Finland.

2070_artifacts.jpg

2070_430_driverfail.jpg