Light gamedev laptop

Hey there,

as the title says I am looking for a laptop to work on games on the go.

Performance wise I need enough to use 3d tools and VR content creation tools like quill/tilt brush etc. I would prefer a thin & light laptop with solid build quality and good keyboard/screen. If it wasn't for the terrible QA I would get a razer blade.

Spec wishlist:

- around 2kg

- 15inch

- under 2000Euro

- 4-6 core cpu

- 16GB ram

- 512GB SSD

- RTX 2060 or 1660Ti

I am looking at the Zephyrus GU502 at the moment, but I'm not a big fan of the keyboard and gamey look tbh. Or an XPS15 with eGPU.. haha .. 

Any tips/recommendations would be much appreciated :)

Dell XPS 15 or MSI P65 or if you can pay a little bit more, the MSI GS65

I highly recommend you get it from HIDevolution because those thin and light laptops overheat so I recommend you choose "Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads" in the configurator on their site to mitigate the overheating issues.

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs (RAID 0) + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

51 minutes ago, Ultra Male said:

Dell XPS 15 or MSI P65 or if you can pay a little bit more, the MSI GS65

I highly recommend you get it from HIDevolution because those thin and light laptops overheat so I recommend you choose "Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads" in the configurator on their site to mitigate the overheating issues.

Thank you. I wasn't aware of the site and having custom thermal paste without voiding warranty is a great start :)

What do you think about the AERO? https://www.hidevolution.com/gigabyte-aero-15-classic-wa-f74adp-15-6-fhd-144hz-i7-9750h-rtx-2060.html

Hm, I think I'm gonna wait for the Zepherus GU502 and apply thermal paste myself once the warranty runs out.

3 hours ago, TechnicallyArtist said:

Thank you. I wasn't aware of the site and having custom thermal paste without voiding warranty is a great start :)

What do you think about the AERO? https://www.hidevolution.com/gigabyte-aero-15-classic-wa-f74adp-15-6-fhd-144hz-i7-9750h-rtx-2060.html

I love it although again, it is one of those laptops that needs a proper thermal paste to work properly. It's built like a tank just like the Dell XPS 15 and has a nice stealthy non gamer look to it. What I love about it the most is the 144hz screen! Super fluid motion once you're used to 144hz, you'd never accept anything less.

And yes, HIDevolution caters to enthusiasts so they do the thermal paste and other cooling mods like the Fujipoly Extreme Thermal pads on heat sensitive surfaces whilst keeping your warranty intact. Heck on the desktop replacement models they offer CPU delidding and again whilst keeping your warranty intact which no other reseller dares to do. CPU Delidding is a MUST when we're talking about desktop replacement laptops which sport desktop class CPUs like the K or XEON CPUs but being installed in such a small chassis, without CPU delidding, they'd overheat.

What is CPU Delidding?

to put it in layman's terms, Intel puts some crappy thermal paste between the actual CPU Die and the IHS (integrated heat spreader) or in other words, they put crappy thermal paste between the actual CPU and the metal heat spreader that you as a customer sees when you hold the CPU in your hands

to improve this, you can remove the IHS by cutting through from all corners ensuring that you do not cut through the PCB of the CPU then removing the IHS. Next, you would remove the crappy thermal paste that Intel put and replace that with Liquid Ultra which is a far better thermal pate in terms of heat dissipation..

you surely can do this yourself if you have the time and patience, but that would void your CPU warranty. HIDevolution is one of the very few system builders that can do this for you and not void your CPU warranty since they do it in-house.

By delidding your CPU, you can expect temperature drops by up to 20C

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs (RAID 0) + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

5 hours ago, TechnicallyArtist said:

- under 2000Euro

Which country? Any links of online stores? Any preference on battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 minute ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Which country? Any links of online stores? Any preference on battery life?

Germany. www.notebooksbilliger.de 4h under load would be fine

On 5/24/2019 at 4:31 AM, TechnicallyArtist said:

4h under load would be fine

I think you mean 4 hrs under light load?

Acer Predator Triton 500 PT515-51-73G6

Clevo P960ED

Tongfang GK5CP0Z

You can find all Germany Clevo/Tongfang resellers here

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128