[How To] Keep your current Windows install with a new motherboard.

So when trying this method the software gives me an error saying it cannot find an OS to modify. Any ideas?

CPU: AMD FX-8350 | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 | RAM: 8GB Kingston Beast 1866MHz

Case: Define R4 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780ti | PSU: Corsair CX600M | SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO

.... and a Partridge in a pear tree! 

Thanks!

This is perfect timing to find this because I'm changing my motherboard very soon.

"YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

- Gandalf the Grey

Thanks!

This is perfect timing to find this because I'm changing my motherboard very soon.

"YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

- Gandalf the Grey

So when trying this method the software gives me an error saying it cannot find an OS to modify. Any ideas?

Never run into that for how often I use it. Is there a working Windows install?

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Thanks, i was looking for this to replace a friends mobo.

Never run into that for how often I use it. Is there a working Windows install?

Yep, I swapped out my motherboard, everything else is the same. Windows boots fine, I installed the new motherboard drivers and everything has been running perfectly however I cannot get Paragon Adaptive Restore to work. I have tried both a CD and a bootable USB and I get the same error every time.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 | RAM: 8GB Kingston Beast 1866MHz

Case: Define R4 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780ti | PSU: Corsair CX600M | SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO

I'm upgrading my CPU and mobo in a couple days, I've swapped my mobo once before but used the same CPU, before and I didn't have any issues. Will I run lose my copy of Windows by upgrading to a new CPU?

i5 3570k @ 4.9 ghz/1.27 volts, Asus P8Z77-V LK8 Gb Corsair 1600mhzGigabyte Windforce R9 290 1140/1625, Silverstone RV02, Kingston V300 120 gb, 1 TB WD Blue HDD,Seagate barracuda, Evga Supernova 750 G2Hyper 212 EvoWindows 8.1, K70 Red LED Blue switch, Razer Deathadder 2012, Sennehiser HD 598

I'm upgrading my CPU and mobo in a couple days, I've swapped my mobo once before but used the same CPU, before and I didn't have any issues. Will I run lose my copy of Windows by upgrading to a new CPU?

As long as it isn't an OEM license it will be fine but you will probably have to call an automated Microsoft phone line to reactivate after a hardware change.

Will this work if both the mobo and cpu are switching? I currently have an AMD APU and I'm switching to an i5-4690k. I'm going to be using an Asus Z87i-Deluxe.

Will this work if both the mobo and cpu are switching? I currently have an AMD APU and I'm switching to an i5-4690k. I'm going to be using an Asus Z87i-Deluxe.

I think that is one of the main situations this is designed for.

I followed this exact procedure, but I can't get it to work. It freezes on the screen that says "Starting Windows" after I try to restart it. I need some help getting past this.

Thank you

"YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

- Gandalf the Grey

I just changed my motherboard and CPU from AMD to Intel and with windows 8.1 i booted up and it said "configuring hardware" (something like that can't really remember  exactly) so I guess windows 8.1 does that?

(I am tagging this guy so much, but he should really see this)

@

CPU: AMD Athlon 5350 (2.66 Ghz OC) Motherboard: Asus AM1m-a Memory: Mushkin Radioactive 8GB DDR3-1600 GPU: MSI R7 260 1GD5 OC Storage: Toshiba Hybrid 500GB Case: Cougar Spike PSU: Rosewill Arc 450 OS: Deepin Linux 2014

Thank you soo much.This was a big help with my testing / troubleshooting hardware.

• 2 weeks later...

Will this keep all of my files/info or will I have to reinstall that?

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

• 2 weeks later...

OR you could just call up Microsoft to get it sorted out.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

Will this keep all of my files/info or will I have to reinstall that?

Will keep everything

OR you could just call up Microsoft to get it sorted out.

No... Most of the time when you install a new motherboard, it will not boot up into windows due to driver problems. Will either blue screen or boot loop. This removes the drivers from the Windows install, giving you basically a fresh out of the box copy of windows that still has everything you've ever done on it. Then you can install the new chipset drivers.

Not a single thing to do with Microsoft

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix

yes this should work 

Will keep everything

No... Most of the time when you install a new motherboard, it will not boot up into windows due to driver problems. Will either blue screen or boot loop. This removes the drivers from the Windows install, giving you basically a fresh out of the box copy of windows that still has everything you've ever done on it. Then you can install the new chipset drivers.

Not a single thing to do with Microsoft

Oh, I thought it was with the licensing thing

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

• 3 weeks later...

I swapped out my mobo last week from a Gigabyte Z87-D3HP to an MSI Z97 Gaming 3 and didn't get any problems or any performance issues. Is this really needed?

Should i do a clean install or do this guide ASAP?

PS: My windows 8.1 key still activated with the new mobo

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62

That's pretty neat and useful. Although I like to think of it when I get a new monitor it's a great time to also get a nice fresh copy of windows installed. 

CPU: I7-5820k @ 4.7 GHZ 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100I GTX 
Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8x8GB (64GB Total) 
Storage: 4x 850 EVO 1000GB & 1x 5TB Seagate HDD 
PSU: Corsair HX1000i 80+ Platinum 
GPU: EVGA Titan X 12GB SLI (2x) 
Case: Corsair 400C 
Monitor: ASUS ROG PG279Q 165hz 

I swapped out my mobo last week from a Gigabyte Z87-D3HP to an MSI Z97 Gaming 3 and didn't get any problems or any performance issues. Is this really needed?

Should i do a clean install or do this guide ASAP?

PS: My windows 8.1 key still activated with the new mobo

Win8 is pretty good at going around the wrong drivers and still booting into windows. This is mainly for Win7 & older machines.

I just swapped my motherboard and didn't do anything with the old system before hand, If i run this it will move the activation key as well as all the files?

I just swapped my motherboard and didn't do anything with the old system before hand, If i run this it will move the activation key as well as all the files?

It keeps your same windows install & key in-tact. So you just install the new drivers and go on as if nothing ever happened