[How To] Keep your current Windows install with a new motherboard.

the download link is not working for me, i am getting a 404

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

When I use this method, it opens the tray in the middle of the process. Than when I choose automatically adjust hardware it just shows "Operation in Progress." and nothing happens after that.

I recently upgraded from my Asus FM2 A85-V pro and AMD A10 FM2 5700 APU, to a Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 and 4690k and all I did was type in my activation key that came with my install CD and I had no issues.

Weird? I wasn't prompted at all to reactivate windows or anything.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Thanks this will be helpful in near future. I changed mb last mount and got the bsod this fresh install was long and I lost all my google chrome shortcut (forgot them actually xD) I hope this program will solve any future issue. 

Just built a friends computer and told him you couldn't do this so he would have to buy windows. Just proves the point that you learn more everyday.

the download link is not working for me, i am getting a 404

Fixed. Dropbox is a pain in the ass

When I use this method, it opens the tray in the middle of the process. Than when I choose automatically adjust hardware it just shows "Operation in Progress." and nothing happens after that.

It should open the tray, I just take the CD out and continue. Sometimes it takes a couple restarts, but that's rare. 

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Fixed. Dropbox is a pain in the ass

It should open the tray, I just take the CD out and continue. Sometimes it takes a couple restarts, but that's rare. 

It worked and everything but after installing all the drivers everything was still really odd and not working to it's full potential. I found that my CPU was only supported by a recent BIOS update, after updating the motherboard never posted again. So now it needs to be RMA'd ;(

• 3 weeks later...

Same chipset :P

Oh yeah :P. But sure I don't see how going from one chipset to another requires a reinstall.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Sticky request

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

The link is dead again. I get a 509 error. Saying that "This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!" so maybe you should look into some other way of hosting it? Or maybe just putting it on a real file hosting site like mediafire or something similar (not for personal files is what I mean by that, but mediafire seems to have gone over to some of that too. But you know what I'm saying...)?

That'd be awesome. I'd really like to get a hold of the program so.... :)

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/znZqcf

I'd still like to know how I was able to go from an Asus A85-v pro motherboard and fm2 apu processor, to a z97 and intel 4690k, and all I had to do was put in my old windows key and it just worked.

I'd still like to know how I was able to go from an Asus A85-v pro motherboard and fm2 apu processor, to a z97 and intel 4690k, and all I had to do was put in my old windows key and it just worked.

You mean without doing this whole method thing???

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

You mean without doing this whole method thing???

I did reinstall, but all I did was put my key in, the one from the sticker that came with the windows CD, and it just validated and has worked fine.

I did reinstall, but all I did was put my key in, the one from the sticker that came with the windows CD, and it just validated and has worked fine.

So at the system info thing where you press activate?, is it like the product ID for system info?

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

So at the system info thing where you press activate?, is it like the product ID for system info?

Ummmm, don't really remember that. I just put in my windows key on the first windows startup/setup. and it's worked ever since.

Ummmm, don't really remember that. I just put in my windows key on the first windows startup/setup. and it's worked ever since.

Ok, one last question though, would this work on OEM keys?

Computer Specifications:

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Lenses:

Ok, one last question though, would this work on OEM keys?

mmmmm, I don't know. technically mine is an OEM key, but I ordered my CD with all the components for my build. It's entitled "OEM system builder pack".

From what I understood, I was supposed to have to buy another key for it, but I ended up not having to so the only thing I can really tell you is to go for it.

• 2 months later...

mmmmm, I don't know. technically mine is an OEM key, but I ordered my CD with all the components for my build. It's entitled "OEM system builder pack".

From what I understood, I was supposed to have to buy another key for it, but I ended up not having to so the only thing I can really tell you is to go for it.

When you buy Windows, the key is good for life. It doesn't matter if you rebuilt your computer 100x, you just can't use the key on multiple systems. 

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

When you buy Windows, the key is good for life. It doesn't matter if you rebuilt your computer 100x, you just can't use the key on multiple systems. 

So you can use the key as many times as you want, but only on one system at a time?

So you can use the key as many times as you want, but only on one system at a time?

Is it less complicate than moving Adobe Software?

Because he had a hard drive.

Is it less complicate than moving Adobe Software?

:ph34r: you mentioned adobe, the most annoying software I am aware of to date

Yep, exactly.

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

• 3 weeks later...

don't need to press F8 Again too boot thx

Current Build + Setup

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro v2 | CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16gb 3600Mhz | GIGABYTE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER OC 8 GB | NZXT H510 Elite | 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | ADATA XPG GAMMIX S7 512GB M.2-2280 NVME | Corsair RM850 80+ Gold Modular PSU | NZXT Kraken X63 | Harman Kardon Soundstick 4 | Koorui 27E1Q

• 3 weeks later...

Sticky this

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit